Maternity Health Cover: What is Covered, Advantages, and Tax Benefits
Published On Feb 03, 2023 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
Table of Contents
We all know that welcoming a baby into the family is one of the most joyous times in a person's life. However, this experience can sometimes become extremely overwhelming if the finances associated with maternity are not taken care of in advance. As medical expenses are on the rise, it becomes extremely important to plan in advance the maternity expenses more than anything else so that nothing goes wrong. There are a number of health insurance plans that now cover maternity expenses including the delivery of the newborn baby, treatment costs related to the newborn baby, vaccination costs, and more. Maternity health insurance is highly recommended for all those who are planning to embrace parenthood. So, if you are planning to start your family, read this blog to understand Maternity Health cover, its advantages, coverage, and tax benefits.
What is a Maternity Health Cover?
A Maternity Health Cover is mostly available as an add-on or rider and thus any individual with a health insurance plan can update their plan with a maternity health cover. Maternity health insurance provides much-needed financial assistance for all the costs incurred during the birth of a newborn child. Moreover, with maternity health cover, you can also get coverage for doctor consultations, and more. So, in the section listed below, here are some of the inclusions in maternity health insurance that you should know about.
Inclusions in Maternity Health Plans
Maternity health plans include several types of coverage so that the soon-to-be parents can benefit from such plans in the best possible way. Listed below are the common inclusions in maternity health plans:
- Delivery-related expenses: With maternity health plans, policyholders can get coverage for delivery-related expenses. Whether it is cesarean delivery or normal delivery, with maternity health plans, you can get coverage for any other complications that arise during the labour, everything related to the delivery of the newborn baby is covered.
- Coverage for a newborn baby: Maternity health plans also provide coverage for newborn babies up to 90 days. This includes the treatment costs that are incurred for the well-being of newborn babies. Moreover, the vaccination costs are also covered under maternity health plans.
- Pregnancy terminations: If due to any unforeseen circumstances where you are advised by the doctor to terminate your pregnancy, then in such a case, a maternity health plan will provide adequate coverage. Thus, with maternity health plans, you can stay assured of the financial costs that may be required for terminating a pregnancy at any stage.
- Infertility expenses: With maternity health plans, you can also get coverage for infertility treatment. This means that if for any reason, you are able to conceive, then with maternity health plans, you can get coverage for the treatment costs of infertility.
- Room rents: All the room rent charges that occur for the delivery of the baby are covered in a maternity health insurance plan.
However, please note that to get all the above-mentioned coverage, you need to wait for a certain period of time. This period is called the waiting period and varies depending on which insurer you are buying the health insurance plan. Thus, it is advisable that you speak to your insurer while buying maternity cover plans. Also, make sure to check all the exclusions of your health insurance plans so that there is no discrepancy in the future.
Advantages of Maternity Health Cover
There are umpteen benefits of maternity health coverage. Listed below are the advantages that you can avail of maternity health cover:
- Financial protection: According to facts, it is found that the delivery cost ranges from Rs. 50,000 and can even go up to 2 lakhs. And as these medical expenses are ever-increasing, it becomes essential to have maternity health plans that provide complete financial protection for all maternity-related costs. So, you can easily get quality treatment with maternity health plans.
- Ensures peace of mind: A maternity health insurance plan also ensures that you can enjoy peace of mind. With maternity health plans, your financial liability towards the delivery of the baby is reduced, and thus peace of mind is also ensured. As there is peace of mind with maternity health plans, you can easily spend more time with your newborn baby and plan things for him/her. Overall, there is a great sense of relaxation as you embrace parenthood with maternity health plans.
- Long-term benefits: With maternity health cover, you can also get long-term benefits which include the coverage for the delivery of more than one baby. Thus, under a single maternity health plan, you can get coverage for delivering more than one baby.
Tax Benefits in Maternity Health Cover
Did you know that you can also get tax benefits with maternity health insurance plans? Yes, there are tax benefits in maternity health plans and this generally goes up to Rs. 25,000. This tax benefit may vary, depending on which insurer you choose. So, speak to your insurer about the tax benefits in maternity health coverage in advance.
When Should You Buy Maternity Health Plans
Ideally, the right time to buy a maternity health plan is when you are planning to have a child. You should in fact have a maternity health plan at least 2 years in advance as there is a waiting period as well in health insurance plans. A maternity health insurance plan is also recommended for those who are getting married and are soon planning to have a baby. The earlier you purchase a maternity health plan, the better it will be for you to avail of its benefits. Moreover, you can also speak to your insurer regarding how to opt for maternity riders after you have purchased the health insurance plan.
Thus, in a nutshell, it can be said that a maternity health insurance plan is a must, especially for those who are soon planning to have a baby. The maternity plans are mostly available as riders, so it is better to get in touch with your insurer to know all the details of maternity plans. You can also contact us at InsuranceDekho to fetch all the details you want to know about maternity plans and accordingly buy the desired health plan.