Ways to Prevent Breast Cancer
Published On Nov 11, 2020
Breast Cancer is one of the most prominent cancers among women, and this is also cancer, where most efforts have been made to make people aware of it. Unfortunately, there are still many new things.
Ways to Prevent Breast Cancer
Researchers have dedicated their minds and soul to find the best answers to this question. The factors such as family history are something you cannot do anything about. There are many issues that make women more susceptible to them. Breast cancer risks can be reduced dramatically by inculcating some lifestyle changes. These include:
- Avoid Alcohol: Many research studies from across the world have linked breast cancer with alcohol consumption. Reducing alcohol consumption to less than one drink a day substantially reduces the risk of developing breast cancer.
- Manage Your Weight: Weight significantly increases after menopause, which greatly increases the risks for not only lifestyle diseases but also breast cancer. At a later age, managing your weight also becomes difficult, and this becomes a cascading effect.
- Prefer Breastfeeding: It has been found in various studies that breastfeeding has protective effects. The more you breastfeed, the more there is a benefit, and lower is the risk of breast cancer.
- Stop Smoking: It has been found that smoking is a major culprit behind the occurrence of breast cancer. It increases the risk dramatically in pre-menopausal women.
- Increase Physical Activity: Physical activities improve the weight and many positive compounds in the body, which have a protective effect. The effective management of weight also reduces the chance of breast cancer. It is a recommendation to get 150 minutes of moderate and 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise. Strength training along with this aerobic schedule is also recommended at least twice a week.
- Reduce Hormonal Therapy: If you are taking external hormones in hormonal therapy to deal with the menopause symptoms, then it is recommended that you ask your doctor for alternative methods. Hormonal treatment has been seen to increase breast cancer chances if it is done for more than three years. The benefits of hormonal therapy do not outweigh the risks in the majority of these cases.
- Avoid Radiation and Environmental Hazards: The imaging methods used in medical procedures majorly use radiation, and it is advised that you keep their usage minimal. The environmental hazards are becoming one of the significant carcinogens, and they are mostly not separated these days. They should be avoided at all costs.
What is the Role of Food in Prevention of Breast Cancer?
Consuming a healthy diet decreases your risks for diabetes, cardiac issues, stroke, and the risk of breast cancer is reduced substantially. It is seen that olive oil, fish, butter, legumes, beans, and whole-grain contribute drastically to lowering the risk of breast cancer. Mediterranean diet mixed with nuts is very beneficial in the prevention of breast cancer.
What is the Role of Birth Control Pills in Breast Cancer?
It has been observed that birth control pills also increase the risk of breast cancer, but the risk of breast cancer due to the birth control pills is not that great.
The best way to keep yourself safe from this disease is to implement the given changes and model your new lifestyle. Apart from that, you must always be vigilant, and early detection of cancer is the objective of misfortune knocks. It is also imperative to have an insurance cover.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.