Best Dental Insurance Plans You can Buy Online in India
Published On Jan 29, 2020 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
Dental care is the maintenance of healthy teeth, gums, and mouth. Good dental or oral care should be practiced to avoid dental issues such as cavities, crooked or diseased teeth, loss of teeth, and more. Regular visits to the dentist are also advised to ensure optimum dental health and prevent any potential damage to the teeth. Keeping a regular check on oral hygiene is also a must to avoid struggling with finances because of dental issues.
In order to help customers cope with dental problems without spending their savings, many health insurance companies provide dental insurance.
Insurance for dental treatment in India is the cover provided for dental procedures (excluding cosmetic dentistry) considered necessary by a medical professional. Dental procedures can either be diagnostic or preventive. Policies featuring dental procedures include dentures, filling cavities, tooth extractions, root canal treatment, and more. However, the procedures included varying with plans and health insurance companies.
While an exclusive cover for dental insurance may not be available, you can easily choose health insurance policies providing dental benefits under their outpatient feature as well as basic features.
Raghav was suffering from toothache so he rushed to the nearest dental clinic. It was then he realized that his tooth had become dugout and he might need surgery. He looked at his health insurance plan and realized that his insurance policy does not cover dental treatment.
This happened because Raghav (at the time of buying his policy) was unaware of the fact that not all health insurance plans offer coverage for dental expenses. And he missed checking this feature while purchasing one. As a result, he had to pay the hospital bill from his saving. Sadly, the surgery was so expensive that it dug a deep hole in his pocket.
Which health insurance covers dental treatments in India? Are there insurance plans that cater solely to dental health? When it comes to standalone dental insurance plans, precisely speaking, not all, but a few health insurance plans offer coverage for oral health or dental care. To avoid getting caught in a similar situation like Raghav’s, you must take up health insurance plans with dental cover expenses as well.
How Dental Insurance Works?
Coverage under dental insurance includes oral care treatments both basic and major, preventive treatments. Based upon the type of coverage chosen, your insurance provider will pay under the insurance plan including the dental cover.
Best Dental Health Insurance Plans in India
Not many health insurance plans in India offer cover for dental treatments in India, but still there are many which do offer this cover either as an add-on cover, or an in-built feature. There are some popular health insurance plans in India that offer cover for dental treatment expenses, some of which are explained below:
|Name of Insurance Company||Name of Insurance Company|
|Cholamandalam MS General Insurance||Healthline|
|GoDigit Health Insurance||Digit Healthcare Plus|
|Star Health & Allied Insurance||Comprehensive Health Insurance|
1. Healthline Policy offered by Cholamandalam MS: Healthline Policy is a popular health insurance policy that offers cover for dental treatments. The policy comes with different sum insured options between Rs. 1 Lakh and Rs. 25 Lakh which you can choose as per your requirement. Apart from OPD dental cover, the policy offers several other coverage benefits as well including cover for daycare procedures, domiciliary hospitalisation cover, AYUSH coverage, in-patient hospitalisation expenses, pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses, ambulance expenses, maternity treatment expenses, newborn baby expenses, extended hospitalisation allowance, specialist opinion for critical illness, expenses related to spectacles, contact lens, hearing aids, and health check-up, etc.
2. Digit Healthcare Plus Policy offered by Digit Health Insurance: This is a unique policy that offers cover for dental treatment as an add-on cover. The policy comes for policy terms of 1 year, 2 years, or 3 years, which you can choose as per your requirement. Apart from dental treatment cover, the policy covers you for in-patient hospitalisation expenses, pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses, second medical opinion expenses, road ambulance expenses, etc. This add-on cover offers a waiver for treatment, procedures and preventive, restorative, diagnostic, and cosmetic services related to the disease, disorder, and conditions of natural teeth and Gingiva. You can buy this add-on cover by paying an extra premium at the time of policy purchase. Other add-on covers offered under this policy are non-allopathic treatment, organ donor, and weight loss surgery. If you choose to buy this policy, you can select from different sum insured options between Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 3 Crore, which you can choose as per your budget and other requirements.
3. Comprehensive Health Insurance Policy offered by Star Health & Allied Insurance: As the name suggests, this policy comes with sum insured options of Rs. 5 Lakh, Rs. 7.5 Lakh, Rs. 10 Lakh, Rs. 15 Lakh, Rs. 20 lakh, and Rs. 25 Lakh. It offers you cover for outpatient dental or ophthal coverage once in a block of every 3 years of continuous renewal. Apart from this, it also covers you for in-patient hospitalisation expenses, pre-hospitalisation expenses, post-hospitalisation expenses, air ambulance cover, air ambulance cover, bariatric surgery, vaccination expenses for newborn, etc. If you are aged between 3 months and 65 years, you can be covered under this policy. Apart from several coverage benefits, the policy offers lifetime renewability benefits. You can also include dependent children up to 25 years.
How To Apply For Dental Insurance?
Coverage for dental treatments can be availed as a section under various health insurance plans. Such plans along with dental care can be selected after comparing different insurance policies online. To purchase a dental insurance policy, you need to follow the below-given steps:
Step 1: Visit InsuranceDekho and select the ‘Health’ tab.
Step 2: Enter the details like members you wish to insure, contact information, medical history, etc. Click on ‘Submit to view quotes’.
Step 3: Start comparing different health policies with dental cover and choose an optimum plan depending upon your requirement and affordability.
Step 4: Do the necessary payment online using a debit/credit card or net banking facilities.
You can also buy the policy in offline mode by getting in touch with the customer care executives at InsuranceDekho. You can call on the toll-free number 7551-196-989 and share your requirements with the experts. They will help you buy the most suitable health insurance plan online at the portal. You can call them any day as they are available all seven days.
What Are The Documents Required For Dental Insurance?
The documents required for purchasing a dental insurance policy is as follows:
- Address Proof: Passport/Driving license/Telephone bill etc.
- Identity Proof: Passport/Aadhar Card/ Pan Card/ Voter ID etc.
- Recent Photographs
- Discharge summary
- Duly filled claim form
- KYC Document
- Policy Document
- Pharmacy Bill
- Consultation Bill
- Hospital Bill
- Policy Documents
Benefits of Dental Insurance Plans in India
Dental insurance plans take care of your oral health. These plans bring along many benefits. Some of them are listed below-
They cover all oral treatments, including critical illness or surgery
Many of them cover primitive care like medical check-ups(name of the plans)
Some plans also offer a free consultation to the patient
- Treatments such as teeth capping, root canal and teeth whitening are generally covered partially under the dental insurance plans.
- Also, some insurance companies offer discounts on major treatments such as bracing and implants alongside assured benefits in some of their policies.
Why You Should Not Wait to Cover Yourself Under Dental Insurance?
If all this while, you had been thinking of buying dental insurance if and when the need arises, learn that waiting for the right time to arrive won’t benefit you in the longer run. Why? It is because your waiting strategy will lead you to the waiting period feature present in your dental insurance cover.
It is significant to note that health insurance plans that come with dental cover provide the same benefit after completion of a specific waiting period. Depending on the health insurance company and plan purchased, the waiting period can vary starting from a few months to years.
While you may have planned to secure yourself against dental treatment expenses as soon as an oral health issue occurs, you will ultimately have to pay for the cost from your own pocket due to the waiting period clause. Ignoring the dental issue or waiting for your dental cover to provide for the expenses will only make the condition worse. Either way, it is your loss.
It is, therefore, advisable to choose dental treatment coverage so you do not end up paying for expenditure on your own or delay treatment and face massive discomfort later on.
With a dental cover by your side, you would be free from concerns of any kind and find it easy to focus on availing quality dental treatment.
There are many general insurance plans that come with dental treatment coverage features in India.
1. Individual health insurance plans
Individual health insurance plans cover dental insurance in additional benefits. Some may even include it in basic coverage features.
2. Critical illness plans
Critical illness plans cover some specified critical illnesses. But many of these plans offer coverage for dental procedures as well.
3. Family floater health insurance plans
Not many, but a few family floater health insurance plans offer coverage for dental procedures for the insured family members.
4. Preventive healthcare plans
Sometimes health insurance plans that cover preventive healthcare plans like consultation cost or regular health check-ups also offer cover for dental procedures.
5. Personal accident cover
Sometimes a personal accident insurance policy also covers dental expenses on the treatment required due to the accident.
What Is The Procedure For Claim In Dental Insurance?
The claim procedure is mentioned below to avail cashless claim:
- In case you avail treatment at a network hospital, inform the insurer and seek approval for a cashless facility.
- You need to show your health card and other documents to the hospital for initiating the claim process.
- After the approval is received, treatment papers along with other necessary documents are sent to the insurer.
- Dental care expenses are settled directly to the hospital by the insurer as per the terms and conditions mentioned in the policy document.
Also, expenses can be reimbursed if you have availed for treatment at a non network hospital or out-patient dental treatment.
What Are The Key Inclusions And Exclusions Under Dental Coverage Policies?
The expenses covered under the dental insurance plan in India are as follows:
- Root Canal Procedures
- Dental Implants
- Infections and Oral Cyst
- Tooth Filling
- Dental X-rays
- Tooth Extraction
- Regular Oral Health Check-ups and Preventive Treatments
- Follow-up treatment
- Dental Surgeries
- Gum Diseases Treatment
However, almost all health insurance policies with dental insurance exclude treatment expenses consisting of dentures, cosmetic treatments, jaw alignment, etc.
What Are The Criteria To Choose Insurance Companies For Dental Insurance?
You can choose the insurance company based on the following points:
- Know regarding the coverage and limitations of the insurance plan.
- Make a comparison of benefits offered and cost in order to make a wise decision.
- Choose an insurance company that provides coverage for major dental treatments in a health insurance plan.
Over to You!
Abetter way out is to get dental cover benefits, either by choosing a plan that has it as a permanent inclusion or as an add-on benefit instead where you can pay a little extra premium and enjoy the dental cover.
Get in touch with InsuranceDekho for the best health insurance plans online or customize your health insurance plan to add dental care benefits.
Dental health insurance is worth purchasing without giving any second thoughts. Now that you have a few options to choose from, go ahead and make a choice right away!
Remember, dental health insurance will help you preserve your smile for life.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is stand-alone dental insurance?
A stand-alone dental insurance is a type of dental policy that is not included under any health insurance plan. Such plans offer comprehensive dental treatment benefits at a nominal price.
2. Is the root canal covered by dental insurance in India?
Dental treatments and surgeries that happen due to an accident is covered under all dental insurance plans in India. However, certain insurance plans covering outpatient dental treatment may cover root canal procedures.
3. How to choose the best dental insurance?
Best dental insurance plan is subject to the individual requirements of a policyholder. However, while selecting a dental insurance plan, it is important that you should read the policy document thoroughly before buying any plan in order to make an informed decision.
4. Is dental treatment covered in mediclaim?
Yes, many health insurance policies in India offer treatment costs arising out from dental care and surgeries. However, before buying an insurance plan make sure to go through the coverages and benefits offered wisely.
5. Why should I have dental insurance?
It is important to have dental insurance as you can develop dental or oral problems by not taking proper care of your teeth or due to an accident or illness. However, with dental insurance, you can expect financial help at the time of need and ensure overall care of your teeth.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.