What is Comprehensive Car Insurance?
Published On Sep 24, 2019 5:30 AM By InsuranceDekho
Read everything about comprehensive car insurance plan here.
A comprehensive car insurance policy is a type of car insurance policy which insures the car owner against all the third party liabilities as well as against own damages incurred it. A comprehensive plan offers the maximum coverage among all car insurance plans.
What All is Covered Under Comprehensive Car Insurance?
Under a comprehensive car insurance policy, an insurer provides compensation for the following losses/damages incurred in any unfortunate event involving the insured's car:
- Bodily injuries caused to a third party walking on a road or travelling in a vehicle.
- Permanent disability/Death of a third party. Insurer has unlimited liability in such cases and the final amount is decided by a court of law.
- Third party property damage of up to Rs. 7.5 lakh.
- Expenses incurred during a court trial (if any).
- Own damages incurred by the insured's car in a road accident, natural/man-made calamity, fire etc.
- Burglary or theft of the insured’s car.
What Is Not Covered Under Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy?
- Third party liabilities arising out of an accident caused due to careless driving or while driving under the influence of intoxicants
- Liabilities incurred when the car is being used for a purpose other than specified in the policy documents
- Damages sustained by the insured's car due to war, nuclear attack, etc
- Mechanical/electrical damages of car
- Wear and tear of the insured's car
- Any contractual liability
How Can I Extend Coverage of a Standard Comprehensive Policy?
The coverage of a standard comprehensive car insurance policy can be extended by opting for car insurance add-ons. Car insurance add-ons are extra covers which enhance the coverage of a standard comprehensive cover. Add-ons which are commonly opted with a comprehensive car insurance policy include zero depreciation cover, engine protection cover, consumables cover, key loss cover, etc. Add-ons can be opted against an extra premium.
Comprehensive car insurance policyholder can also enjoy the following discounts on the own damage premium of their policy:
- No Claim Bonus discount on own damage premiums for claim-free years. The discount can be up to 50% for a maximum of 5 years.
- Discount on installing ARAI approved security devices in the insured's car.
For further reading:
What is the Difference Between Third Party Insurance and Comprehensive Car Insurance?
Disclaimer: This article is issued in general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.