Everything About Bike Insurance Types, Benefits and Exclusions
Two-wheeler insurance provides coverage to bikes and scooters against any damage or loss incurred by them due to accidents, theft and natural disasters. Also, it is compulsory to own a third party bike insurance by every bike owner while driving in India, as per the Indian Motor Tariff. In addition to the compliance of regulation, it is also a prudent decision to purchase a bike insurance for securing your beloved two wheeler which you have bought with your hard money.
The two wheeler insurance is crucial to get financial protection against the damages that may occur due to an accident or a mishap. Nowadays, many insurance companies offer different insurance covers to suit the diverse needs of customers. There are different types of insurance plans that you can choose your coverage from.
Types of Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
There are three types of bike insurance plans available in the market, details of which are as follow:
1. Third Party Insurance Policy
The third party insurance policy is the basic two wheeler insurance cover that is mandatory to be owned by every bike rider while driving scooter or bike. It offers compensation for your financial liabilities, which you may incur towards a third party for bodily injury, death or property damage, sustained due to an accident or a mishap with the involvement of your vehicle. The compensation amount of property damage is limited to Rs. 1 lakh. To drive a two-wheeler without this cover is illegal and can get you penalised with Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
- Third Party Property Damage - The third party insurance plan covers the expenses of third party property damage caused by the insured’s two-wheeler.
- Third Party Bodily Injury or Death - The third party insurance policy provides compensation to third parties for bodily injuries or death which is decided by a court.
- No coverage for the expenses of damage of insured’s two-wheeler
- Bodily injuries or death of owner or driver will not be compensated
2. Standalone own-damage Insurance Policy
This standalone own-damage bike insurance policy cover is designed to compensate the damage expenses of the insured person, which may arise due to any loss or damage incurred by the scooter or bike of the insured in an accident or a mishap such as fire, theft, natural calamity, and so on. The coverage of this bike insurance plan can be extended with the inclusion of add-on covers by paying an additional premium amount.
- Coverage for Own-Damage - The standalone own-damage insurance cover offers the coverage for own-damages or losses incurred by the insured person’s bike or scooter due to accident, theft, fire, natural calamity, etc.
- Option of Different Insurers - With standalone own-damage insurance cover, policyholders can now choose a third party insurance plan and an own-damage insurance plan from different insurers based on their suitability and choice.
- No Compulsion for Long Term Plans - The standalone own-damage cover allows policyholders to hold a third party insurance plan of 5 years and a standalone own-damage plan of 1 year that they can renew every year.
- No coverage for the damage or loss incurred by the two-wheeler of third party
- Bodily injuries or death sustained by the third party will not be compensated
3. Comprehensive Insurance Policy
This comprehensive bike insurance policy offers a complete insurance coverage under which it covers you against the financial expenses subject to third party liabilities and own-damage expenses. This cover gives a holistic insurance coverage for damages or losses sustained in an accident or an unfortunate incident. The policyholders can include various add-on covers like roadside assistance, zero depreciation cover, etc., by paying additional premium. They can also avail No Claim Bonus (NCB) and other discounts with this insurance cover.
- Coverage for a Third Party - The comprehensive two-wheeler insurance plan covers the expenses of third party’s bodily injury, death and property damage caused by the insured’s two-wheeler.
- Coverage for Own-Damage or Loss - The comprehensive two-wheeler insurance cover gives compensation for expenses incurred due to own-damages or losses incurred by the insured person’s bike or scooter due to accident, theft, fire, natural calamity, riots, terror activity and so on.
- Avail Add-On Covers and Discounts - There are various add-on covers available with the comprehensive insurance plan. You can get it by paying a little extra amount of premium as per your need. Also, comprehensive policy allows you to avail no claim bonus and other discount on its premium.
- No coverage will be given if the policy is lapsed
- Mechanical wear and tear from aging of the vehicle
- If the insured is driving two-wheeler without a valid license
- If the driver is under the influence of alcohol, drugs, etc., during accident
- If the vehicle is driven out of the geographical limit specified in the policy
The two wheeler insurance is of different types and every type has some advantages and exclusions in it. With the above-mentioned details of different insurance covers, you can make better decisions in the selection of an insurance plan for your bike or scooter.
We think you'll like:
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.
People Also Read
- Insurance For Second Hand Two Wheeler Explained
Why get a second-hand bike insured? What is a Second-hand Bi...18 September 2020
- Benefits of Timely Two Wheeler Insurance Renewal
Learn benefits of timely online two wheeler insurance renewa...17 September 2020
- Two Wheeler Insurance Claim Rejection Reasons
Learn 7 reasons for rejection of two-wheeler insurance claim...15 September 2020
- How to Change Two Wheeler Insurance
If you want to change your insurer in the middle of your pol...14 September 2020
- Everything About Bike Insurance Types, Benefits an...
What are the types of two-wheeler insurance in India? Why is...11 September 2020
- Understand Theft Cover of Two-Wheeler Insurance Pl...
Understand Theft Cover of Two-Wheeler Insurance Plans10 September 2020