How To Claim Scooty Insurance - Step by Step Guide
Updated On Sep 26, 2023
Step-to-step Guide On How To Claim Scooty Insurance
Table of Contents
Do you own a two-wheeler? Though riding a bike provides an exciting and thrilling experience, the accident ratio of scooters, bikes, bicycles, and other two-wheelers is 44.5% and much higher than four-wheelers. Therefore, to help people financially in case of third-party damage, the Insurance Regulatory Authority of India (IRDAI) has made it compulsory to purchase third party insurance cover. Besides this, you can also opt for a comprehensive insurance policy in which an insurance company provides full protection for both you and a third party.
In this article, we’ll help you with a quick guide on the claim settlement process of a motor insurance policy. Before that let’s understand the types of claim settlement.
Types Of Scooter Insurance Claim Settlement Process
Listed below are two ways through which you can claim your two-wheeler insurance policy.
Cashless Settlement of Claim:
Scooty insurance cashless claim settlement is the process in which the insured doesn’t have to pay money from their own pocket to settle the claim. However, it is only possible if you have taken the services from the network garage of the insurance company.
Reimbursement Settlement of Claim:
In this case, you can get your bike repaired at the garage of your choice. You will need to pay for the expenses of the damages caused and afterwards register your claim with the insurance company.
Claim Settlement Process in Different Conditions
An insurance company provides coverage for third-party, own-damage, and protection against theft. Therefore, the policyholder will require a unique set of documents and would have to follow different sets of instructions to settle their scooter claim insurance in each case. Let’s dive into the details!
Third-Party Damages Claim Settlement Process
Any damage to a third party or their property that occurred by your scooter will be covered by your third-party motor insurance policy. The process for filing a claim under a third-party insurance policy is mentioned below.
Following is the list of documents you will need to file a claim against accidental damages:
- Self-attested claim form with complete details.
- Copy of police FIR and driving license. Copy of registration certificate of the scooter.
- All the necessary insurance documents.
Steps To Register Claim
Following are the steps that you need to follow for filing a claim against third-party damages:
- Inform the authorities and your insurance company right away if there is an accident or if your bike collides with the other party's vehicle.
- The insurer will submit it to the motor insurance claim Tribunal court proceeding for a decision.
- The Tribunal court will decide the compensation amount after verifying the case.
Own-Damage Claim Settlement Process
The standalone own damage insurance policy and the comprehensive policy both provide coverage for any damage to the insured's vehicle. Here is how to file a claim in case you are involved in an accident.
Following is the list of the documents you require to file a claim against standalone own damages:
- Valid two-wheeler insurance policy.
- Duplicate copies of the tax receipt, registration book, and FIR.
- Driving license
- Invoice of repair and payment receipt from the authorized garage.
Steps To Register Claim
- Within a specified period, inform the insurance company about the damage caused to the vehicle or its theft. However, in case of accidents, you will also have to file an FIR.
- The insurance company will investigate the case and verify all the details provided by you. Thereafter the approvals, the claim will be processed and your vehicle will be sent to the network garage for repair.
- The insurer will settle the bill directly if you have chosen a cashless claim settlement process. However, in case of reimbursement of the claim, first, you’ll have to spend the money and then avail of the claim.
Theft Claim Settlement Process
Considering the rising rate of thefts and burglaries in India, insurance companies bring mental peace in such circumstances by providing protection against these activities. Therefore, the process to file a claim in case of theft is as follows:
- Claim form with complete details.
- Original vehicle registration certificate and policy documents.
- Copy of FIR complaint of the theft.
- Copy of an acknowledgement letter issued by the RTO.
- Form 28/29/30 was signed by the policyholder.
- NOC and signature of the financier on form 35 if you’ve bought the vehicle on loan.
Steps To Register Claim
- File an FIR at the nearest police station and update the insurer about the happening.
- Submit all the documents along with the original scooter keys.
- In case, the police are not able to track your vehicle within a specified period, they will issue a non-traceable certificate.
- Under the total loss category, the insurance company will settle the claim and will pay upto the IDV amount.
It is mandatory to inform the insurance company in any circumstance within a specific time period to avoid claim rejections. Despite the advancement in technology, the claim settlement process for motor insurance often gets tedious. The above-mentioned claim settlement process is followed to ensure that no fraud or crimes are committed by the policyholders.