All you need to know about insuring a pillion rider
Published On Dec 14, 2020, Updated On May 10, 2023
Riding as a pillion rider on a motorcycle is extremely common in India. However, what is not known is the extent of insurance coverage offered to pillion riders in case of accident or injury. Let’s read all about it.
Table of Contents
Despite the fact that a passenger is at greater risk, we often neglect to follow the safety measures for them. According to the Motor Vehicles Act, it is mandatory that both the driver and the pillion rider of a two-wheeler wear helmets. Besides this, understanding the importance of safeguarding passenger riders, the insurance authorities of India have made it compulsory to cover their injuries under third-party bike insurance.
In this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know about passenger coverage in two-wheeler insurance.
What Is Pillion Rider Two-wheeler Insurance?
It is an add-on cover that you can buy to protect the person who is travelling with you on the two-wheeler. Under this, the pillion rider gets coverage against injuries or death that happened due to an accident. A policyholder can avail of this benefit by paying an extra premium along with a standard comprehensive policy. Moreover, it has been made mandatory by law to cover pillion riders in third-party insurance.
Reasons To Buy Pillion Rider Two-wheeler Insurance
In case of accidental damages incurred by the third party, you’re liable to pay for all the loss and injury that happened to both the driver and a pillion rider. Therefore, including a passenger cover in your standard policy will safeguard you in a variety of ways. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Financial assistance is given to the family of the passenger if he dies or gets disabled as a result of an accident.
- Pay for the passenger's medical expenses if he is hospitalizedhospitalised.
- Provides you with a sense of security by assuring you that the passenger is insured and that any injuries sustained by him will be covered.
Inclusions and Exclusions of Pillion Rider Two-wheeler Insurance
Given below are the inclusions and exclusions of third-party insurance coverage provided to bike pillion riders.
- In case of an accident, the pillion rider can expect compensation upto Rs.3,00,000. However, if the passenger dies, his family may get compensation of upto Rs.5,00,000. Besides this, the insurance companies also cover transportation costs upto Rs.10,000 in their third-party insurance for both the pillion rider and the driver.
- Perhaps, the motorbike rider and pillion passenger are not eligible to file a claim for the compensation amount if a person other than them suffers an injury as a result of a collision or accident.
- However, if any third party excluding motorbike riders and pillion riders is hurt in an accident, then the pillion rider will not be entitled to claim for the mishap.
- The insurance provider must be properly notified as quickly as possible, usually within a week, if an injured pillion rider's treatment is initiated in a foreign nation.
The insurance authority of India favours the fact that each and every person stays protected while driving on Indian roads. However, mishaps and uncertainties can unexpectedly arise anytime. Therefore, you can ensure the safety of both the driver and the pillion rider with an add-on of pillion coverage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can a pillion rider make an insurance claim?
Yes, a pillion rider is eligible to get up to INR 300,000 for any damages or injuries that happened in an accident.
Q2. Who should buy a pillion rider add-on in two-wheeler insurance?
You should purchase a passenger cover add-on with your standard policy in the below-mentioned cases-
- You live in places that are prone to accidents.
- Everyday, a lot of pillion passengers travel.
- People who frequently make long-distance trips.
Q3. Is the death of a pillion rider covered would be covered by my insurance company?
Yes, the demise of a passenger accompanying driver is covered by the insurance companies.
Q4. Which bike insurance plans include coverage for the pillion rider?
According to the law, unless another third party is involved, all third-party insurance policies must cover the pillion rider in the case of an accident. The motorcycle and the pillion riders are unable to assert any rights in this situation. A comprehensive plan also includes pillion rider coverage.