Tips To Prevent The Risk Of Cancer
Published On Feb 01, 2023 12:00 PM By InsuranceDekho
Table of Contents
Did you know, cancer is one of the second-most fatal health conditions in the world? In fact, according to reports published, the number of incident cancer cases in India in 2022 was 14,61,427. Moreover, it is predicted that by 2025, the number of cancer cases will increase by 12.8%. This data is a reminder of how important it is to spread awareness of cancer. In light of the same, every year 4th of February is observed as World Cancer Day to promote general awareness about cancer. This year the theme for World Cancer Day is “close the care gap” and the vision is to bring new initiatives in order to collectively fight against cancer as well as educate people about the different types of cancer. Read on to learn more about the different ways in which the risk of cancer can be reduced.
Different Ways To Prevent The Risk Of Cancer
As per studies, it is found that cancer occurs due to the abnormal growth of cells. Moreover, the primary reason behind so many people getting affected by cancer is the unhealthy lifestyle one tends to live. This unhealthy lifestyle includes the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, obesity, and so many more. Moreover, it is also important to understand that the treatment cost of cancer in India is extremely high, and not many people have health insurance. Thus, owing to all of these, it becomes important to adopt preventive measures to reduce the chances of cancer.
Listed below are the different ways in which you can reduce the risk of cancer:
- Eat A Healthy Diet: First and foremost, it is very important that you eat a healthy diet. A healthy diet generally comprises fruits, green vegetables, and other sources of nutrition that will keep your body healthy and fit. Moreover, in addition to eating a healthy diet, it is also important to cut down on calories, unsaturated fats, and others that unnecessarily result in increasing your weight.
- Say No To Tobacco: In order to limit the risk of cancer, it is very important that you say no to the consumption of tobacco. This is because research has proven that the intake of tobacco adversely increases the risk of cancer. An unhealthy habit of chewing tobacco on a regular basis is in fact the main reason behind the different types of cancer such as mouth cancer, throat cancer, lung cancer, and a few others.
- Maintain A Healthy Weight: In addition to everything else, it is equally important to maintain a healthy weight, as obesity is another factor that increases the risk of cancer. An unhealthy weight increases the risk of different types of cancer such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, and others. Thus, it is advisable to indulge yourself in physical activities like yoga, exercise, etc, on a regular basis for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Limit Sun Exposure: There is no denying that basking in sun is good for health, however, excess of anything is harmful. Thus, to reduce the risk of cancer, it is important that you limit sun exposure as an excess of the same can lead to skin cancer. So, you should strike a balance and use preventive measures like applying sunscreen and staying away from harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Do Not Compromise On Your Sleep Cycle: Getting quality sleep of at least 6 hours is very important to lead a healthy lifestyle. It is advisable that you maintain your sleep cycle, as compromising on that can result in increased body weight. This will indirectly also increase the risk of cancer.
- Fight Against Pollution: Environmental pollution increases the risk of respiratory diseases but also leads to lung cancer. This is because long-term exposure to harmful air pollutants and inhalation of contaminated air disrupts the cellular process and thus increase the risk of cancer.
- Go For Regular Health Checkups: Another important step that you can do to reduce the risk of cancer is to go for regular health checkups. Regular health screening will help you detect cancer at an early stage. This will also help in starting the treatment of cancer at the right time.
Now, in addition to taking all the preventive measures mentioned above, it is also very important that you buy cancer health insurance plans. This will help you get financial protection if diagnosed with cancer. Moreover, with a cancer health insurance plan, you can also stay stress-free about the cancer treatment expenses and focus more on getting quality treatment for the same.
Thus, it is very important that you follow the above-mentioned tips to reduce the chances of cancer as “prevention is better than cure”. Moreover, you should invest in a cancer health insurance plan and must compare the different health insurance plans for getting the best one for yourself.