Health Insurance Plans for NRIs in India
Updated On Oct 18, 2023
Over the years, the number of NRIs has increased drastically. A number of Indians now reside in foreign countries for better job opportunities. However, despite the many opportunities, there are still a number of things that concern them, such as buying health insurance plans. So, here is a guide that details all about health insurance plans for NRIs in India.
Table of Contents
What are Health Insurance Plans for NRIs in India?
As the name suggests, health insurance plans for NRIs are specially designed for Indians living in a foreign nation. These plans are helpful for non-residents of India to get adequate health insurance coverage if diagnosed with any kind of illness. It is however important to note that these plans provide a range of treatment only within the boundaries of India and not outside the country. Moreover, there are certain other things that you need to be aware of while buying health insurance plans for NRIs, so check the same with your insurer and accordingly proceed with buying it.
Can NRIs Buy Health Insurance?
Yes, it is possible for NRIs to buy health insurance in India. Any NRI can easily buy a health insurance plan for themselves and their family in a few simple steps with InsuranceDekho. They are just required to have different documents such as valid address proof, ITR copy, income proof, and other documents. This plan is suitable for individuals who want to stay protected against health emergencies when they return to India.
Benefits of NRI Health Insurance in India
Some of the benefits of medical insurance for NRI in India are as follows:
- With NRI health insurance plans, you can get access to medical treatment in any region of the country. No matter where you are, NRI health insurance plans provide quality healthcare facilities at affordable premiums. However, when you buy a health insurance plan in a foreign country, there are certain limitations on the geographical location.
- An NRI visiting India may be prone to certain viruses due to the change in climatic conditions. For instance, there may be chances of flu or stomach-related problems in such cases. To be prepared against such health emergencies, it is best to buy NRI health insurance plans that will provide financial compensation to get coverage for the treatment of such health problems.
- Health insurance plans for NRI also provide tax benefits as per section 80D of the Income Tax Act of 1961. The tax benefits are available on the basis of the income generated in India and can vary depending on the type of policy you are buying. So, depending on the available tax benefits in the given financial year, NRIs can avail of tax benefits.
- There is no denying that even if you are an NRI, you will have to travel back to India several times. So, in order to get continued health insurance coverage, you need to buy a relevant health insurance plan for NRI and stay protected.
- In comparison to many other countries, India offers health insurance plans at affordable premiums. The main reason behind this is that the healthcare services in foreign countries are very expensive as compared to India. So, as an NRI, you can buy health insurance plans at affordable premiums in India.
- If you are one of those NRIs who plans to return to India after living for some years abroad, then buying NRI health insurance plans is one of the best choices. This is because health insurance comes with a waiting period for pre-existing diseases. However, when you buy a health insurance plan beforehand while abroad, your waiting period will be covered till the time you return to your country.
How to Buy NRI Health Insurance Plans?
Listed below are the steps in which you can easily buy NRI health insurance plans:
- Go to the health insurance section on the InsuranceDekho website
- Enter details such as your age, contact details, medical history, etc
- Then, select the right health insurance plan and proceed with the premium payment
- Also, submit the necessary documents
- Once, all the documents and premiums have been received and verified, you will receive details of your health insurance plan on your registered email ID
Thus, owing to the many benefits, it is important to buy health insurance plans for yourself even if you are an NRI. This will help you in getting the right kind of medical assistance during your stay in India.
Also read: Factors Affecting Health Insurance Premium