Health Insurance For New Born Baby
Updated On Feb 21, 2023
Table of Contents
Parenthood is one of the most adorable phases of our lives. Agreed? As the news arrives, we start to prepare the baby’s room and other necessities. While preparing for the arrival of a new member of the family, it is important to purchase newborn medical insurance too. This is to ensure that you provide the best healthcare facility to your newborn without worrying about funds. Continue reading to learn all about health insurance for newborn babies in detail.
What is Newborn Baby Insurance Coverage?
The newborn baby health plan is a tool that provides financial coverage to the parents against medical expenses incurred through the care and treatment of newborn babies. Some of the treatment costs covered under newborn medical insurance include- pre- and post-hospitalization, ambulance charges, vaccination charges, and post-natal care.
Why it is Important to Purchase Newborn Medical Insurance?
Listed below are some of the importance and benefits of purchasing newborn medical insurance.
- Enjoy Peace of Mind: We prioritise providing the best facilities such as education, healthcare and more to our children. However, sometimes the lack of funds resist us to do so. If you cover your child under a health insurance policy, then you will be able to provide premium medical care facilities without worrying about finances.
- Comprehensive Protection: After completing the 90 days of birth, a health insurance company will start providing coverage to your newborn. You can visit the nearest network hospital of the insurance company and avail of a cashless treatment facility for your new family member.
- Low-cost Premium: You will need a high-sum assured health insurance policy that provides enough coverage for all the members of the family. As a result, the insurer will provide discounts on high-sum assured, leading to saving premiums.
- Tax Benefits: Anyone covered under a health insurance policy can claim deductions under Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, of 1961. Therefore, you can also save the tax on premiums paid towards the insurance policy.
Factors to Consider While Purchasing Newborn Health Plans
Here are a few things that you should keep in mind while purchasing a newborn health insurance plan in India.
- Waiting Period: Usually, health insurance companies come with a waiting period of 90 days from the birth of the child. However, some insurers provide coverage from day 1. Therefore, when purchasing a newborn health insurance policy, make sure that you check the waiting period offered by the company.
- Scope of Coverage: Another important factor that you should consider while purchasing a health insurance plan is the scope of coverage. Make sure that you read all the inclusions and exclusions of the policy thoroughly before purchasing.
- Co-payment Clause: Some health insurance policy comes with a co-payment clause wherein the policyholder may pay a certain amount at the time of claim settlement. So, before purchasing the policy, always check whether the co-payment clause is mentioned in the policy or not.
How to Cover a Newborn in Health Insurance Policy?
You can cover your newborn in your family health insurance plan to provide coverage for early vaccination and postnatal care expenses. The minimum age to cover your newborn under the policy is 90 days. Here are the steps you can follow to cover your newborn baby in a health insurance policy.
- Download and fill out the application form to add a new member under your existing insurance policy.
- Submit necessary documents to the health insurance company.
- Your insurance company will calculate the new premium amount after considering the additional member under the plan.
Newborn baby health insurance is an important tool that you should consider while planning for the arrival of a newborn baby. You can include newborn coverage under your existing family floater health insurance policy.