Compare & Buy Car, Bike and Health Insurance Online - InsuranceDekho
Claim, renew, manage & moreLogin
  Hurry Up!
Save tax in 80D by purchasing a Health Insurance Today. View Plan

Features of Health Insurance Plans

Updated On Aug 09, 2022

Health insurance is crucial because of the quickly rising cost of medical care. If you have healthcare, you are more at ease and safe since you are insured in the event of an emergency. When you have healthcare coverage, you aren't required to worry about figuring out how to pay for medical care or using your assets to meet your demands. In a nutshell, it is essential to have a health insurance plan to keep your finances intact in times of emergencies.

Features of Health Insurance Plans

Features of Health Insurance Plans

Let's quickly review some of the features of health insurance policies while keeping the above-mentioned issues in mind.

  • Medical Treatment

You may handle expenditures such as the price of pharmaceuticals, doctor's fees, and pathologic testing with the aid of a health insurance plan that includes coverage of hospitalization treatment. The plans also provide for pre and post-hospitalization expenses. 

  • Co-Payments

Several insurance providers require co-payments as a requirement of their insurance policy. In effect, it implies that the policy bearer and the health insurer will both be responsible for a portion of the hospital payment. For instance, if your health plan has a 10 percent co-pay, you will be responsible for 10% of the healthcare costs and the insurance provider would cover the other 90%. Choose a policy with a smaller co-pay if possible.

  • Premiums

To maintain the plan operational, the insured client must pay premiums regularly to the health insurer. Before making your decision, examine the premiums provided by several insurance providers. Nevertheless, be careful not to sacrifice any essential aspects of an insurance policy simply to get the lowest prices.

  • Recovery of Insured Amount

 Once the amount insured is restored, the insurer agrees to restore the whole amount in the policy period after it has been used up due to a claim. Even if you use up the whole insured sum throughout the policy period, several plans with insured sum restoration elements offer the best protection. 

  • Pre-Existing Condition Waiting Period

 Pre-existing disorders include any illnesses you have at the moment you register for medical insurance, such as blood pressure, diabetes, etc. There are 2 to 4 years of waiting time before insurance providers are responsible for any costs associated with your pre-existing diseases. Choose a plan with a lower waiting time if you suffer from any pre-existing disease.

  • Room Rent Limit

Charges for the patient's room in the hospital are one of the major costs associated with hospitalization. As a consequence, several insurance providers tend to restrict their health insurance from room rent payments. Typically, the maximum amount of room charges while hospitalization is 1 per cent of the entire sum insured. The cap is increased to 2 per cent of the total amount covered in the event of an intensive-care unit (ICU). Ensure you choose a policy with a high room rental limitation.

  • Transplant of Organs

Transplant of organ's operation costs is covered by health insurance policies, either as an additional benefit or in part/ full. The organ donor's hospitalization charges, screening charges, and postoperative problems are not covered; the area of coverage is just for the donor's collection.

  • No-Claim Bonus

No claim bonus provisions in health insurance plans give an extra benefit of no claim bonus if no claims are made during the policy's term. A bigger insurance policy or a decrease in the premium amount are two possible bonuses one could get.


The policy bearer and the members who are protected by the policy's coverage demands and requirements often change significantly as people age and their lifestyles change. As a result, it's critical to regularly analyze and reevaluate your Indian health insurance coverage. Additionally, to choose the best insurer and plan when buying medical insurance coverage, it is critical to evaluate, narrow down, and examine various options.

Also Read: 


This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.

Health Insurance Coverage Calculator

Who do you want to insured ?

  • Individual
  • Couple
  • Family
  • Parents

Age of eldest insured member ?

Where do you live ?

Disclaimer : Actual Coverage might vary basis your location, age and number of members
Must BuyMust Buy

Why to Buy Health Insurance Policy Online from InsuranceDekho

  • Tax benefit upto 75,000*
  • Claim support everyday 10AM-7PM
  • 50 Lacs+ happy customers