Everything You Need To Know About The Ayushman Card's Advantages
Updated On May 31, 2022
Table of Contents
To address the problem of absence of insurance in most households , Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana or PMJAY on September 25th 2018 as a Health Insurance initiative for the less privileged population of the country. PMJAY or popularly known as ayushman bharat scheme, is the world’s largest government-funded healthcare scheme covering over 10 crore beneficiaries in India.
Key Benefits of Ayushman Bharat Yojana
The Ayushman Bharat Yojana aims to cover approximately 40% of India's poorest and the most vulnerable population. This would be done by delivering the following key benefits:
- All out-of-pocket expenses incurred during the hospitalisation process would be covered.
- Irrespective of whether the hospital is public or empanelled private, the insurance provided would be in a completely cashless format.
- A transport allowance would be paid to the beneficiary, which will cover the cost of travel during the pre and post hospitalisation period.
- Daycare treatment facilities would be made available within the insurance package.
- Except a few ailments cited as an exclusion, any pre-existing conditions of the beneficiary would be treated free of charge.
- Provisions for follow-up benefits to ascertain if the patients have fully recovered, have also been made.
Eligibility Criteria Of Ayushman Bharat Yojana
The scheme has delineated a set of specific eligibility criteria which would help identify and serve the beneficiaries in an appropriate manner. These criteria are primarily based on the data collected under Socio-economic caste census, 2011. Although they try to include all the poor families across the spectrum, there are certain distinctions between the beneficiaries belonging to rural and urban areas. These are: Rural Area Categories and Urban Area Categories.
Every empanelled hospital will have an 'Ayushman Mitras' who will assist the patients and coordinate with beneficiaries as well as the hospital. They will operate a help desk and look into the documents to verify the eligibility. All of the beneficiaries will be provided letters containing QR codes, which will be scanned.
Also read- COVID-19's Emergence And Impact In India