Difference Between Top-up And Super Top-up in Health Insurance
Published On Mar 09, 2023 10:20 AM By InsuranceDekho
Table of Contents
- What Is a Top-Up and Super Top-Up Plan in Health Insurance?
- Benefits of Top-up And Super Top-Up Plan In Health Insurance
- Difference Between Top-up and Super Top-up Plan
- Who Should Buy the Top-up and Super Top-up Plan?
- Inclusions and Exclusions of Top-up and Super Top-up Plan
Health insurance is a financial tool that provides financial protection against medical emergencies. Sometimes, when the sum assured of health insurance is low, we have to pay a portion of the claim amount from our pocket, resulting in a financial burden. Therefore, to secure the policyholders from paying a hefty claim amount, health insurance companies provide top-up and super top-up plans. You can raise the sum assured above your standard health insurance plan with the top-up and super top-up features. Read on to learn more about these features in detail.
What Is a Top-Up and Super Top-Up Plan in Health Insurance?
A top-up and super top-up are types of additional benefits offered under a health insurance policy. A top-up plan provides coverage up to a certain sum insured amount. You can activate your top-up plan after a treatment cost reaches a certain deductible limit. However, a super top-up plan provides additional coverage on each claim you make throughout the policy year.
Benefits of Top-up And Super Top-Up Plan In Health Insurance
Medical emergencies can hamper your budget unconditionally. Therefore, it is important to get enhanced health insurance coverage. This will ensure that you are financially protected during medical emergencies. Listed below are some of the benefits of purchasing a top-up and super top-up health insurance plan.
- Increased Coverage: It is necessary to purchase a health insurance policy that provides wide coverage to deal with the inflation of the healthcare sector. Therefore, through top-up and super top-up plans, you can enhance the coverage of your standard plan during a medical emergency.
- Extensive Coverage for Senior Citizens: Individuals at an older age are more vulnerable to diseases. Therefore, considering the high cost of medical care, it is necessary to buy a higher coverage health plan.
- Peace During Medical Emergency: When you buy a top-up or super top-up health plan with your standard insurance policy, you will get wide coverage. Hence, you will be able to get quality treatment without worrying about finances.
- Additional Savings on Tax: Similar to other health insurance plans, top-up and super top-up plans also provide tax benefits to the policyholders. Thus, you can save more on a premium paid towards an insurance policy.
Difference Between Top-up and Super Top-up Plan
Though both the top-up and super-top-up plans provide additional coverage benefits, they are different from each other. Let’s take a closer look at the difference between top-up and super top-up health insurance.
- Both top-up and super top-up plans provide coverage when the sum assured or deductibles amount is exhausted.
- Under a top-up health plan, you can make a single claim upto a deductible limit. However, you can make multiple claims throughout the policy period if you purchase a super top-up plan.
- You may have to pay a deductible every time you make a claim in the top-up health plan. However, in super top-up plans, the policyholder may have to pay a deductible only once a year.
Who Should Buy the Top-up and Super Top-up Plan?
A top-up and super top-up health plan can be purchased by the following individuals.
- Senior Citizen: The treatment costs for senior citizen is comparatively higher than for young individuals. Thus, you should be prepared to deal with these high-cost of medical expenses. With top-up and super top-up plans, you can ensure that you have enough coverage to bear the high medical cost.
- Corporate Employees: You may have a group health insurance policy, but it is not sufficient. For instance, if your treatment bill is Rs. 2,00,000 and the sum assured of your group health plan is Rs, 1,00,000. As a result, the remaining Rs. 1,00,000 you will have to pay from your pocket. Therefore, if you purchase a top-up and super top-up health plan, you won’t have to worry about paying any of the treatment costs.
- Individuals With Low Sum-Assured: If you have a health insurance policy with a low sum assured, you can purchase a top-up and super top-up health plan. This will ensure that you are secure and get medical treatment without worrying about finances.
Inclusions and Exclusions of Top-up and Super Top-up Plan
Listed below are some of the inclusions and exclusions of top-up and super top-up plans in health insurance.
What Is Included?
- Daycare procedure
- Ambulance charges
- Pre and post-hospitalization
- Emergency transportation
What Is Not Included?
- Cosmetic surgeries
- Hospitalization without a doctor’s recommendation
- Undisclosed pre-existing conditions
In conclusion, top-up and super-top-up health insurance are additional benefits that you can purchase along with your standard health plan. There are many health insurance companies that provide top-up and super-top-up health plans. You can visit the official website of InsuranceDekho to check and compare plans from different insurance providers.