Must Know Health Precautions For Winters
Published On Nov 03, 2020
Winters are the time when the body is pushed to a certain limit. The cold temperatures, chilly winds and the blizzard can all be very dangerous and persistent buggers. As the winter season approaches, it becomes imperative that you take special care of yourself. We would all agree that winters may not lead to life-threatening issues, but they are a tough time for the body, and they certainly can lead to some problems. We have always believed prevention to be better than cure.
Also read here: Workplace Hygiene Tips to Prevent Coronavirus
Health Precautions To Be Taken During Winters
Ayurveda suggests that winters are the time when the body develops immunity to fight against any health invaders. The temperature regulation to get acclimated to the dipped temperatures, stress to improve immunity already has the abilities of the body stretched thin. It is recommended that you take the following precautions/actions during winters to aid the body in its operations.
1. Maintain Fluids and Drink Water: Regardless of the weather, this is one thing that you should never neglect. Maintaining a right water balance in the body is essential. Water helps the body in thermoregulation. It is also the medium that helps carry the nutrients throughout the body and help the body get rid of toxins.
2. Sleep Well: This is another one of those remedies which should be followed regardless of the season. The brain needs a reboot for a healthy mental state; the body requires rejuvenation. These are the processes that have been programmed to occur naturally if you take a fair amount of sleep. Not only this, sleep helps in building the immune system, stress management, and regular metabolic balance.
3. Consume Ideal Food and Nutrition: It is highly recommended to prefer foods rich in dietary fibre along with a healthy composition of protein. The food consumed should have a rich quantity of vitamin C as it helps in building immunity. The dietary fibre would keep the gastrointestinal tract healthy, and protein would aid in building and repair.
4. Consume Vitamin D: Naturally, it can be obtained from sunlight, and it is ideal for giving a boost to the body, while it is working to regulate temperature by going out and basking in the sun during winters. Vitamin D is not only required for the bones, but it is also necessary for immunity. The vitamin is crucial in regulating the mood and important for mental health.
5. Maintain Warm Clothing: Always prefer warmer clothing to protect yourself against the harsh winter elements.
6. Avoid Smoking: Smoking is one thing that reduces the immunity drastically, and it leaves you vulnerable towards the disease of the respiratory tract.
7. Take Care of Your Skin: Skin is the majorly affected region in the body during the winters. Avoid getting your skin dry, itchy, and flaky. Keep the skin moisturised by applying moisturiser and increasing your intake of water.
8. Exercise Regularly: A healthy cardio would not only increase your core body temperature, but it will also keep your metabolism working flawlessly. Strength gain exercises along with cardio would boost strength, stamina, and immunity. Yoga along with cardio is also very beneficial for efficient circulation of blood, respiration, and sound mental health.
Also read here: Precautions for People Staying With a Self-quarantined Person
There is no doubt that winters are harsh, and they push the body to its limits. But there is a lot that we can do to support our bodies during the times of winter. These precautions will help you in pushing through winter without falling ill.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.