Diet to Increase Immunity
Updated On Apr 22, 2021
Our immune system plays an important role in defending the body against many diseases causing microbes. Many small viruses are becoming fatal in recent days as the immunity levels of people are going down considerably. The only golden rule to maintaining substantial immunity in the body is by consuming nutritious food. Some immune-rich foods will build a strong defense in our body and prevent us from being susceptible to opportunistic infections.
Diet to increase immunity
A balanced diet or a diet that is rich in all nutrients such as proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals will help in improving the immunity levels of people. The following are some of the foods that should be included in the day to day diet to enjoy optimal health and disease-free life.
1. Eggs: Eggs are the number one source of proteins and amino acids. It also consists of all fat-soluble vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, etc. Consuming eggs on a daily basis will also foster metabolism and help to fight against infection appropriately.
2. Lentils: Lentils are a rich source of proteins and no meal in an Indian family is complete without including lentils. They are available easily and are a low-cost protein supplement, that is rich in fiber and other essential minerals. Proteins are bodybuilders and contribute adequately to the body’s immune function.
3. Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits like lemon, grapefruit, and oranges are excellent sources of immunity boosters and can play an important role in building up the immune system. Citrus fruits are rich in Vitamin C that helps to recover from any infections quickly.
4. Garlic: Garlic is an important component of every cuisine in the world and helps us to fight infections effectively. There is also evidence that it helps to lower blood pressure and helps in hardening of the blood vessels as well. Its immune-boosting properties are commendable and help in fighting infections effectively.
5. Yogurt: Research studies reveal that consuming plain yogurt helps in burning fat much better and also strengthens the immune system, to help fight disease. The live and active cultures present in yogurt maintain a healthy gut and boost the natural defenses of the body to help fight infections.
6. Almonds: Almonds are rich in vitamin E and antioxidants to build a healthy immune system. Almonds have healthy fats and nutrients like Vitamin B 6, Vitamin E, Phosphorous, magnesium, etc.
7. Turmeric: Turmeric is an active ingredient in many diets and is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in delaying muscle damage and its curcumin component is a potent immune booster.
8. Chicken: Chicken lean meat is rich in vitamin B6, which is an important mediator of all chemical reactions in the body. It is important for the formation of new blood cells and antibodies to fight off infection.
Food is the best medicine and our ancestors used food as medicine. By concentrating on the food we eat, it is possible to build a healthy immune system and stay healthy by fighting off infections.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.