Car insurance is a type of motor policy which provides protection against theft, third-party damages, man-made and natural calamities. With car insurance, you can get financial and legal protection against the damages caused by your car. A comprehensive car insurance policy also provides protection against damages caused to your own car. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 makes it mandatory for every car owner to insure his car with a third-party car insurance policy.
Car Insurance Key Features
Car Insurance Starting Premium
Buying / Renewal Process
Personal Accident Cover
Up to Rs. 15 Lakh
Up to 50%
Claim Settlement Process
24*7 Support Available Online
10+ add-ons available
Third-party Car Insurance
Mandatory by government
Third Party + Own Damage Cover
- CASHLESS GARAGES 6,800
- CLAIMS SETTLED 89%
- ZERO DEP. CLAIMS UNLIMITED
- Maximum Cashless Garages
- Over Night Vehicle Repairs
- 24x7 Roadside Assistance
- Quick Claim Settlement
- CASHLESS GARAGES 3,100
- CLAIMS SETTLED 95%
- COMPREHENSIVE CLAIMS UNLIMITED
- Towing Assistance (For Accidents)
- Coverage Outside India
- PSU Provider
- Quick Claim Settlement
What is Car Insurance?
Car insurance is a contract between a car owner and a general insurance company wherein the latter promises to protect the car owner from financial losses which may occur due to an unfortunate event involving his/her car. Depending on the scope of coverage, there are 3 types of car insurance policies - Third-Party Car Insurance, Standalone Own-Damage (OD) Car Insurance, and Comprehensive Car Insurance. To continue to avail the benefits of these policies, the car insurance renewal should be processed on time by policyholders.
Types of Car Insurance
Comprehensive Car Insurance
A comprehensive car insurance policy is the most extensive car insurance cover under which an insurance company is liable to pay for financial liabilities incurred towards a third-party as well as for the own-damages sustained by the insured’s car. In addition to road accidents, the policy is applicable in the event of natural calamities, man-made disasters, self-ignition or lightning, explosion, fire, theft, etc
Third-party Car Insurance
Third-party car insurance policy is a mandatory requirement for driving a car in India. It is the most basic car insurance plan and is thus also called Liability Only Car Insurance Policy. Under this cover, the insurance company is liable to pay for the bodily injuries, permanent disability, temporary disability as well as death of the third party caused by an accident involving the insured’s car. This plan also provides coverage for property damage incurred by the third party up to Rs. 7.5 Lakh.
Own Damage Car Insurance
In September 2019, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) introduced the Standalone Own-Damage car insurance policy. Under this plan, the insured gets insurance coverage only for the own-damages sustained by his/her four-wheeler in a road accident, natural/man-made calamity, fire, explosion, theft or any other mishap. A standalone own-damage car insurance policy aims at offering the insured the flexibility in terms of the insurance provider they want to choose.
How to Choose Car Insurance Policy Online?
You can choose an ideal car insurance online plan by following some points given below:
1. Select the Type of Plan - Assess your car insurance needs and finalise the type of policy you need. Choose a third party cover or comprehensive cover based on your requirements.
2. Compare Policies - You should compare different car insurance plans online. The comparison makes it easier to pick the best car insurance plan as per your budget and needs.
3. Check for IDV: IDV or the Insured Declared Value is the maximum amount that your insurance company will settle in case your car is completely damaged or stolen. The car insurance premium is directly proportional to the IDV, which means that the higher the IDV, the higher will be the car insurance premium.
4. Check the Premium: Depending on car’s IDV, model, fuel type, age, and other factors, the car insurance premium accordingly varies. So, it is wise to first compare the car insurance premiums and then make the final decision.
5. Ask for Add-on Covers - Add-on covers expand the coverage of your policy. You can buy it by paying an additional premium. You should enquire about the add-ons and choose the one which suits your needs the best. However, you can have these covers only with the comprehensive insurance plan.
6. Look for the Claim Process - Look for an insurance company that has a simple and swift claim process. To confirm the quality of the claim process of insurers, you can check their Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR) before finalising. It refers to the percentage of claims settled by the insurer in a year. It is better to buy a plan from a company with high CSR.
7. Network Garages: The network/cashless garages in car insurance help policyholders in getting their claims settled in a cashless manner. Thus, the greater the number of network garages, the more beneficial will it be for policyholders.
Key Highlights of Car Insurance Policy
Given below are salient highlights of a four-wheeler insurance policy:
Coverage for third-party injury and property damage
Own Damage Cover
Covers the damage and loss incurred by the insured four-wheeler
Personal Accident Cover
Available up to 15 lakh
Various add-ons are available based on the policy such as zero depreciation cover, return to invoice cover, roadside assistance, etc.
Available at the network garages of the insurer
No Claim Bonus
Up to 50%
Benefits of Buying Car Insurance?
A car insurance offers a host of benefits to its policyholders. The key benefits are as follows -
Helps You Stay Legally CompliantA car insurance helps you stay legally compliant as according to Indian Motor Tariff, every car owner is mandatorily required to have at least a third-party car insurance policy. The absence of which is punishable with a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
Protection Against Third-Party LiabilitiesA car insurance policy helps you mitigate third-party liabilities such as bodily injuries, temporary/permanent disability, death as well as property damage. While, the compensation of third-party property damage is limited to Rs. 7.5 Lakh, there is no compensation cap in case third party bodily injuries, disability or death.
Protection Against Own-DamagesA car insurance policy helps you keep yourself financially secured against the own-damage expenses of your car. Damages incurred in road accidents, natural calamities, man-made disasters, fire, explosion, vandalism, etc are covered under standalone own-damage as well as comprehensive car insurance plans.
Coverage Against TheftA car insurance policy also provides coverage in case of theft of your car. In case your car gets stolen, your insurance company provides you with your car’s Insured Declared Value (IDV) which corresponds to the market price of your car.
Personal Accident CoverWith a car insurance policy, you can also get a personal accident cover of up to Rs. 15 Lakh which offers a coverage in case of death, bodily injuries as well as disability of the policyholder in a car accident.
Explore Car Insurance
Top Car Insurance Companies in India 2023
There are 20+ best car insurance companies in India that sell car insurance online with different features, each unique in its own way. However, going through them individually would be a tedious task hence we have compiled a list of the top car insurance companies with their unique features to help you choose the right plan for your car.
Car Insurance Company
Claim Settlement Ratio
HDFC ERGO Car Insurance
ICICI Lombard Car Insurance
United India Car Insurance
New India Car Insurance
Royal Sundaram Car Insurance
Reliance Car Insurance
SBI Car Insurance
Future Generali Car Insurance
Liberty Car Insurance
IFFCO Tokio Car Insurance
Digit Car Insurance
Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance
Kotak Mahindra Car Insurance
Edelweiss Car Insurance
Bharti AXA Car Insurance
Chola MS Car Insurance
Oriental Car Insurance
Universal Sompo Car Insurance
Magma HDI Car Insurance
Raheja QBE Car Insurance
Tata AIG Car Insurance
National Car Insurance
Shriram Car Insurance
Acko Car Insurance
Navi Car Insurance
Disclaimer:*The above-mentioned claim settlement ratio (CSR) has been sourced from IBAI’s General Insurance Claim Insights Handbook - 5th Edition. InsuranceDekho does not endorse, rate or recommend any particular insurance company or insurance plan.
How to Buy Car Insurance Online?
The process of buying a car insurance is quite simple and easy. Here’s how you can buy the right car insurance online with us.
- Fill Your Car Details
Provide your car details such as its make, model, etc, to see car insurance price offered by top insurance providers in India.
- Compare Car Insurance Quotes
From all the available car insurance plans, select the plan which suits your budget & requirements in the best manner.
- Make Payment Online
Pay the policy premium online & get your car insurance document instantly in your inbox.
Benefits of Buying Car Insurance Online
In today’s digital world, buying car insurance online offers a bunch of benefits. In comparison to the traditional offline mode of buying car insurance, buying car insurance online is more convenient and hassle-free. Read on to understand how buying car insurance online is advantageous:
Online mode of buying car insurance
Offline mode of buying car insurance
Car insurance can be directly bought from the company’s website
Car insurance can be bought by physically visiting the office of the insurance company and or connecting with intermediaries
There is minimal paperwork required with a digital proposal form, the requirement of scanned documents copy, etc.
A lot of documentation and paperwork is required
Economical option as there is no involvement of intermediaries, reducing the commission expenses
Costlier due to the involvement of agents and the requirement to go to the insurance office
Ensures 24*7 customer support with
Customer support is available during office hours only
Hassle-free renewal process as all the details are auto-saved from the insurer’s end
Tedious process as there is more documentation required
Also Read: Reasons Why Buying Car Insurance Online Is A Smart Choice
Why Choose InsuranceDekho for Car Insurance Online?
- Car Insurance in Just 5 Minutes*
Wait no more! Get your car insurance online in just 5 minutes with our easy, quick and paperless car insurance policy issuance process.
- Over 45 Lakh Happy Customers
InsuranceDekho is a favourable choice among insurance buyers. Our transparent and quick process, availability of top-rated four wheeler insurance and dedicated customer support team has helped us win the love and confidence of over 45 Lakh happy customers
- 7 Days Dedicated Customer Support
Our dedicated customer support team is available at your service all the 7 days of the week. Feel free to reach out to us for any four wheeler insurance related assistance, be it for policy purchase or claim settlement, we are always there to help you.
Car Insurance Coverage
- What is Covered?
- What is not Covered?
- Third Party Bodily Injuries
All bodily Injuries caused to someone else by your car in an accident will be compensated for by your insurance provider.
- Third Party Disability
If an accident caused by your car results in a disability of a third party, then the compensation for the same will be provided
- Third Party Death
Compensation will be provided in case an accident caused by your car results in a demise of a third party.
- Third Party Property Damage
Damages caused to a third party’s property will be covered up to Rs. 7.5 Lakh.
- Road Accidents
Damages caused to your car in accidents or collisions will be covered.
- Natural Calamities
Damages sustained by your car in natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, cyclones, etc will be covered.
- Man-made Disasters
Damages incurred by your car in man-made disasters like riots, strikes, terrorsism, vandalism, etc will be covered.
- Damage During Transit
Damages caused to your car during transit by road, rail, inland waterway, and lift will be covered.
Damages sustained by your car in fire and explosions will be covered.
- Theft of Your Car
Loss of your car due to theft or burglary is covered.
- Drunk Driving
Claims for incidents when the insured was driving under the influence of alcohol are not admissible.
- Driving Without Valid Driver’s License
No coverage is offered if the insured was driving without a valid driver’s license.
- Wear and Tear/Depreciation
By default, no coverage is offered for depreciation expenses of the car.
No coverage is available for engine oil, brake oil, air conditioner refrigerant, radiator coolant, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, grease, etc.
- Mechanical/Electrical Breakdown
No coverage is provided for mechanical/electrical breakdowns.
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
Claims when the insured was driving under the influence of drugs are not covered.
- Damage in War/Nuclear Attack
No coverage is provided for damages sustained in a war or nuclear activity/attack.
- Damage to Tyre/Tubes Except in Accidents
By default, damages incurred by tyres and tubes, except in case of accidents, are excluded from the coverage
- Damage Incurred Outside Covered Geographical Boundaries
No coverage is offered for damages incurred outside the coverage geographical limits.
Partner Car Insurance Companies
Car Insurance Add-ons
- Bumper to Bumper Car Insurance
Bumper to Bumper is an add-on cover designed to give holistic coverage to cars irrespective of their part’s depreciation value. With this cover, the insurers do not deduct the depreciation cost from the compensation for the repair and replacement of car parts, excluding car batteries and tyres. In simple terms, it eliminates the depreciation part during the claim settlement and gives complete coverage for rubber, fibre, and metal parts of the car.
- No Claim Bonus Cover
Your insurance provider rewards for not making a claim during a policy year. This reward is offered as a discount on the own-damage premium of your car insurance policy and is called the no claim bonus (NCB). It can go up to 50% of your own-damage premium rates. However, if you make even a single claim, this NCB gets lost. You can protect the loss of NCB by opting for a NCB protection cover.
- Engine Protection Cover
No coverage is offered for the damage incurred by the car’s engine due to oil leakage or water ingression. A standard car insurance policy only covers the damage caused to the engine during an accident. However, you can get a complete coverage for your car’s engine damage by opting for an engine protection add-on. It is one of the most opted for add-ons as the engine is the heart of the car.
- Return To Invoice Cover
In case of complete total loss of your car, the Insured Declared Value (IDV) of your car is paid as the compensation amount by the insurance provider. However, the IDV amount is lower than the actual price paid by you at the time of purchasing your car. You can bridge this gap by opting for a return to invoice cover which provides you the amount mentioned in car’s purchase invoice in the event of your car’s total loss.
- Roadside Assistance Cover
The roadside assistance add-on cover provides you with on-road assistance services if your car breaks down anywhere. To avail this benefit, you just have to call your insurer and it will arrange a mechanic for your location to help you out. This add-on cover offers several assistance services such as minor on-site repair, changing a flat tyre, car towing, fuel delivery, battery jumpstart, and so on.
- Consumable Cover
When a car gets repaired, several consumable items are used like lubricants, coolant, nuts and bolts, grease, engine oil, screw, oil filter, etc. Generally, the expenses of consumable items are not covered by a car insurance policy and the policyholder has to bear this cost. But the consumable add-on cover reimburses the cost of consumables items incurred during the repair of an insured car.
- Accessories Cover
Different types of accessories are fitted in the cars to enhance their protection and beauty. These include stereo systems, reverse cameras, etc. These luxurious accessories are electrical and non-electrical. Since they are costly, it makes them theft-prone and can also bring a huge loss in case of accidents. Here, accessories add-on cover comes in to shield your car’s accessories by offering you additional coverage to reimburse them.
- Passenger Cover
Passenger add-on cover is an add-on cover that provides financial protection for the passengers riding in the insured car against liabilities arising from accidents. However, it is compulsory to own a personal accident cover to insure the owner-driver, but covering passengers is not mandatory. Still, you can opt for this benefit to cover passengers including your family members or your customers, if you have a commercial car.
- Key Replacement Cover
In case you lost or misplaced your car’s key, you need to get a duplicate key by approaching the service center of your car, which can be a time-consuming and expensive procedure. To reduce the hassle, you can opt for the lost key cover. It is an add-on cover that will reimburse the expense to repair or replace your car key, in case you lose, damage, or misplace them.
- Personal Accident Cover
A personal accident cover or PA cover is a benefit provided by insurance companies to an owner-driver of an insured car to help them stay protected against any type of accidental injuries. This cover gives compensation to the owner-drivers to cover their bodily injuries, permanent disability or death incurred due to a car accident. An owner-driver is the owner of the car, who owns a valid and active driving license.
- Tyre Protection Cover
A tyre protection cover is an add-on cover designed to provide coverage for the repair as well as replacement expense of tyres of the insured car. This benefit also covers accidental loss or damage, bursting of tyre or cut sustained by the tyre and tubes in addition to labour charges incurred during the repair or replacement of tyres which comprise refitting, rebalancing or removing the wheel.
Comparison of Different Car Insurance Plans
|Coverage||Third-Party Cover||Standalone OD Cover||Comprehensive Cover|
|Third-Party Bodily Injuries|
|Third-Party Property Damage|
|Personal Accident Cover|
|Theft of Car|
Why Should You Buy A Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy?
Every car owner should purchase a comprehensive four-wheeler insurance policy due to several reasons. Here are its top benefits:
1. Third-Party Liabilities - Comprehensive car insurance provides you coverage for third party liability, which will help you if your car gets involved in an accident that leads to damages sustained by the third party. Also, it gives you legal compliance with the basic cover in hand while driving a car.
2. Own Damage Cover - Apart from the third party liability, comprehensive car insurance also gives coverage for damages or losses incurred by your car due to an accident, theft, fire, burglary, man-made disaster or natural calamities. Also, it covers damage or loss to cars while in transit by rail, air, and so on.
3. Personal Accident Cover - Personal accident cover is also offered with comprehensive car insurance plans that give protection against permanent total disability as well as death due to an accident. This cover can be extended for other passengers based on your car’s seating capacity for a specified amount.
4. No Claim Bonus - One of the biggest benefits comprehensive car insurance provides is the No Claim Bonus (NCB) feature. Under this benefit, a policyholder gets a discount on the next year's premium for not making any claim in a policy year. With every claim-free year, discounts accumulate making the car insurance more affordable.
5. Cashless Claims - The cashless car insurance claim is a significant aspect of every policy. Insurance company’s with a large network of garages across the nation ensure active cashless services in all these locations. This facility makes it convenient for policyholders to avail the repair services without paying anything.
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Body Type
Maruti Alto Insurance PriceView Maruti Alto Insurance Price
Maruti Swift Insurance PriceView Maruti Swift Insurance Price
Maruti Baleno Insurance PriceView Maruti Baleno Insurance Price
Maruti Wagon R Insurance PriceView Maruti Wagon R Insurance Price
Hyundai i10 Insurance PriceView Hyundai i10 Insurance Price
Hyundai i20 Insurance PriceView Hyundai i20 Insurance Price
Hyundai Santro Insurance PriceView Hyundai Santro Insurance Price
Maruti Celerio Insurance PriceView Maruti Celerio Insurance Price
Volkswagen Polo Insurance PriceView Volkswagen Polo Insurance Price
Renault KWID Insurance PriceView Renault KWID Insurance Price
Maruti Dzire Insurance PriceView Maruti Dzire Insurance Price
Honda Amaze Insurance PriceView Honda Amaze Insurance Price
Maruti Ciaz Insurance PriceView Maruti Ciaz Insurance Price
Hyundai Verna Insurance PriceView Hyundai Verna Insurance Price
Honda City Insurance PriceView Honda City Insurance Price
Skoda Rapid Insurance PriceView Skoda Rapid Insurance Price
Hyundai Aura Insurance PriceView Hyundai Aura Insurance Price
Tata Tigor Insurance PriceView Tata Tigor Insurance Price
Ford Aspire Insurance PriceView Ford Aspire Insurance Price
Hyundai Xcent Insurance PriceView Hyundai Xcent Insurance Price
Maruti Vitara Brezza Insurance PriceView Maruti Vitara Brezza Insurance Price
Hyundai Creta Insurance PriceView Hyundai Creta Insurance Price
Mahindra Bolero Insurance PriceView Mahindra Bolero Insurance Price
Tata Nexon Insurance PriceView Tata Nexon Insurance Price
Ford Ecosport Insurance PriceView Ford Ecosport Insurance Price
Mahindra Scorpio Insurance PriceView Mahindra Scorpio Insurance Price
Mahindra XUV500 Insurance PriceView Mahindra XUV500 Insurance Price
Hyundai Venue Insurance PriceView Hyundai Venue Insurance Price
Mahindra Thar Insurance PriceView Mahindra Thar Insurance Price
Toyota Fortuner Insurance PriceView Toyota Fortuner Insurance Price
Maruti Omni Insurance PriceView Maruti Omni Insurance Price
Maruti Eeco Insurance PriceView Maruti Eeco Insurance Price
Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance PriceView Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Price
Maruti Ertiga Insurance PriceView Maruti Ertiga Insurance Price
Honda Mobilio Insurance PriceView Honda Mobilio Insurance Price
Renault Triber Insurance PriceView Renault Triber Insurance Price
Maruti XL6 Insurance PriceView Maruti XL6 Insurance Price
Mahindra Marazzo Insurance PriceView Mahindra Marazzo Insurance Price
Datsun GO Plus Insurance PriceView Datsun GO Plus Insurance Price
Toyota Vellfire Insurance PriceView Toyota Vellfire Insurance Price
Customer's Speak8258 Reviews
- Timely InformationThe InsuranceDekho services are excellent. I have been using their Liberty Car Insurance Policy for my Nissan car for ...Read MoreLiberty car InsuranceBy Ayush SodhiOn:30th May, 2023
- Very resourceful websiteThe InsuranceDekho website has a lot of resources on their website to read from. I recently bought the Edelweiss Car I...Read MoreEdelweiss car InsuranceBy Ashish LalOn:30th May, 2023
- Quick and fast servicesI bought the Bajaj Allianz Car Insurance Policy from the InsuranceDekho website for my Chevrolet car. They provide qui...Read MoreBajaj Allianz car InsuranceBy Ariha KareemOn:30th May, 2023
- So many plans to choose fromThere are a lot of plans available on the InsuranceDekho website. I recently visited their website and after reading t...Read MoreIffco Tokio car InsuranceBy Anshul ShahOn:30th May, 2023
- Was able to easily compare the policiesIt is not at all tough to compare plans on the InsuranceDekho website which made it easy for me to pick a plan for my ...Read MoreKotak car InsuranceBy Anita RanjanOn:30th May, 2023
- It has amazing coverage and a priceI bought a new Toyota car for my family and ended up buying the HDFC Ergo Car Insurance Policy from the InsuranceDekho...Read MoreHdfc Ergo car InsuranceBy Anik BhattacharyaOn:30th May, 2023
- The claim processI must appreciate the InsuranceDekho portal for having such an easy and tension-free claim process. I did not face any...Read MoreTata Aig car InsuranceBy Aditi HaiderOn:30th May, 2023
- Fantastic product that exceeds expectationsThe InsuranceDekho website has many fantastic plans that exceed everyone’s expectations. Because of this I bought the ...Read MoreAcko car InsuranceBy Sohini RoyOn:30th May, 2023
- Affordable premiumsI must say that the Royal Sundaram Car Insurance Policy at InsuarnceDekho provides the most affordable premiums with n...Read MoreRoyal Sundaram car InsuranceBy Farhan AliOn:29th May, 2023
- Mobile AppI love the mobile app that InsuranceDekho has to offer. It's so easy to use and I can access all of my policy informat...Read MoreNew India car InsuranceBy Devansh PatelOn:29th May, 2023
How to Calculate Car Insurance Premium Online?
Please follow the below steps to calculate the ideal premium of your car -
Step 1: Select your car’s make, model, fuel type and variant
Step 2: Select the city in which your car is registered in
Step 3: Select the year in which you purchased your car
Step 4: Select ‘Yes’ if you have previously made a claim, else select No
Next: Now press the ‘Calculate’ button
Car Insurance Renewal Online - Instant e-Policy
Below is the process of car insurance renewal online through the InsuranceDekho portal:
Step 1: Go to InsuranceDekho and click on the ‘Car’ tab.
Step 2: Enter the car’s Registration Number and click on the ‘Proceed’ button. Then choose your car’s variant and vehicle fuel type to continue.
Step 3: Share the previous company’s expiry date and the name of your car insurer. Also, tell if you have raised any claim in the last policy year and click on ‘Continue’.
Step 4: Fill in your name and mobile number and the duration for which you want to insure your car and click on the ‘Submit and Get Quotes’ link.
Step 5: Different premium quotes from different car insurance companies will appear which you will have to compare and choose as per your requirements. You can also pick car insurance add-on covers at this step.
Step 6: Click on the ‘Buy Now’ button, verify your details, and make the payment. The car policy will be issued and its document will be sent to your registered email ID.
Why Should You Renew an Expired Car Insurance Policy Now?
If your four-wheeler insurance expires, you will become vulnerable to legal and financial risks. Here are some points risks of an expired car insurance policy:
1. Legal Trouble - Driving a car with an expired car insurance policy can get you in trouble which can lead to penalties. Repeated offences can enhance your penalties and can even make you face imprisonment. Hence, if your car’s policy is expired, then you should renew it immediately.
2. No Cover & Claim - An expired car insurance policy can provide no coverage, which means you cannot make any request for a claim from the insurance company. So, if your car faces any damage, then your insurer will not be liable to compensate your losses and you will have to bear the entire expenses.
3. Long Renewal Process - The renewal process might become difficult and can take a long time if your policy has expired, otherwise, it takes a few minutes only. The reason behind the delay is that an inspection is required to renew an expired policy which may take time as per the availability of the surveyor.
4. Loss of NCB Benefit - The NCB of your car insurance can be terminated if your car insurance plan is not renewed within 90 days of its expiry date. This can make you lose your NCB discount even if it was 50%, which could be a huge loss for you as it could lower your premium for the next year.
5. Scope for Inspection - If your policy expires, your insurance company might want the car before renewing the insurance for it. This can lead to a price hike due to two major reasons that comprise the cost of the inspection process to the company and if your car is not found to be in a good shape or at risk.
Factors That Affect Your Car Insurance Premium
Here are some top factors that influence the premium of your car insurance:
1. Make, Model & Variant - The brand, model, fuel type, and variant affects the cost of a car, which will ultimately increase the risk on the insurance company to compensate. So, it affects the premium of the policy.
2. Age of the Car - With age, the depreciation reduces the value of your car that reduces its IDV which has a direct relation with premium. In simple terms, the premium of an old car will be lesser than that of a new car.
3. Add-on Covers - With the inclusion of add-on covers to your car insurance policy, you can get additional coverage. However, to own every add-on cover you will have to pay for a little extra premium which will increase your premium.
4. No Claim Bonus (NCB) - Insurance companies provide their customers with a reward for spending a claim-free year in terms of a discount called No Claim Bonus. With every claim-free year, this bonus tends to increase that will get you more discount on your next year’s premium during renewal.
5. Anti-Theft Device - If someone has installed anti-theft devices authorised by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), then his car insurance policy premium could be lower by the insurance company as it lessens the chances of car theft which ultimately lowers the insurer’s risk and burden to pay compensation.
How To File Online Car Insurance Claim?
A car insurance claim can be made in two ways - cashless claim or reimbursement claim. When you visit a network (partner) garage of your insurance provider for your car’s repair work, the claim is settled in a cashless manner When you visit a non-network garage of your choice, the claim is settled first by you and is later reimbursed to you by your insurance provider. You can follow the below steps to make a car insurance claim -
- Step 1: Inform your insurance provider about the incident.
- Step 2: Get your claim intimation number.
- Step 3: A surveyor will visit the place of the incident to assess the damages.
- Step 4: Your insurance provider will arrange for towing services for your car, if required.
- Step 5: Get your car repaired at either a cashless network garage or a garage of your car.
- Step 6: The claim will be settled by the insurance provider in accordance with the garage chosen by you for repairs.
Documents Required to File Car Insurance Claim after an Accident
To file a four-wheeler insurance claim successfully, you require a few documents which are as follow:
1. Car insurance policy
2. Driving license copy
3. Duly signed claim form copy
4. Original repair invoice
5. RC copy of the car
6. Fitness certificate for commercial cars
6. FIR copy, in case of theft, injury or damage to third-party, or accidents
7. Cash receipt and proof of car release
8. ID proof of insured person such as Aadhar card and PAN card
How to Compare Online Car Insurance Quotes at insuranceDekho?
You can compare different four-wheeler insurance policy quotes online at InsuranceDekho in just 30 seconds. A thorough comparison of policy quotes can help you find the most suitable policy at the lowest premium. To get the policy quotes, you will have to enter some details such as make, model, fuel type, variant, manufacture year and so on. This will get you a car insurance premium offered by several insurers in the market which you can customise with add-on covers and select the one that fits best to your requirements and budget.
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Insurance
What is a car insurance policy?Car Insurance/Four Wheeler Insurance is an agreement between an insurance company and a car owner under which the former provides an insurance cover to the policyholder for financial damages incurred by his/her car in unforeseen events. Depending on the coverage, there are three types of car insurance plans - third party car insurance policy, standalone own-damage car insurance and comprehensive car insurance policy. Car insurance renewal online process provides instant e-Policy.
Why should I buy car insurance?
There are a number of benefits of owning four wheeler insurance. Firstly, it helps you meet the legal requirement of owning at least a third party car insurance cover. Moreover, a car insurance policy helps you meet financial liabilities that may arise towards a third party or own damages to your car due to a road accident or any other unfortunate event.
How much fine do I have to pay for not holding car insurance while driving?
It is mandatory to own at least a third party car insurance policy while driving a car. If you get caught driving without it for the first time, you may be charged with a fine of Rs. 2,000 with or without imprisonment of a maximum of 3 months that can increase to a fine of Rs. 4,000 and/or jail of up to 3 months, when caught for the second time.
How much is car insurance premium?
The premium rates for third-party car insurance price depend on the engine capacity of the car and is fixed by the IRDAI. However, the premium for standalone own-damage and comprehensive car insurance policies varies from car to car depending on a number of factors such as car's MMV (Make, Model and Variant), RTO location, engine capacity, registration city, fuel type,
What if my car insurance policy gets expired?
Every car insurance comes with a validity period, post which you need to renew it to continue to enjoy its benefits. However, even if you miss to get your car insurance plan renewed by the expiry date, you can still get it renewed till the next 90 days from the date of expiry. After the expiry of this 90-day period, car insurance cannot be renewed. In such a case, you need to purchase a new car insurance policy.
Car Insurance News
Which Car Insurance is Best in India: Comprehensiv...
Wondering which car insurance is better third-party or compr...09 May 2023
How to Buy Car Insurance Online?
Car insurance is a mandatory requirement in India. It is qui...08 May 2023
How to Search Vehicle Owner Details by Number Plat...
Read on to understand how to search vehicle owner details by...05 May 2023
Car driving tips for beginners
listed below are some of the car driving tips for beginners.03 May 2023
Traffic Rules and Fines in West Bengal
Read on to understand all about the traffic rules that you n...26 April 2023