What is your car's brand?
Steps to Buy Car Insurance Online
Your shield against all road uncertainties.
- Fill Your Car Details
Provide your car details such as the make, model, etc, and get car insurance online from top 4 wheeler insurers.
- Compare Car Insurance Online
From all the available car insurance premium, select a plan which suits your budget & requirements.
- Make Payment Online
Pay policy premium online & get your car insurance insurance document instantly in your inbox.
Popular Car Insurance Companies
Add-ons For Your Car Insurance
Useful add-on covers to enhance your car insurance coverage.
Explore Car Insurance
Buying Car Insurance Online Solved with InsuranceDekho
- Car Insurance Policy in 5 minutes*
Forget waiting for days for getting a car insurance. Get your car insurance online issued in just 5 minutes with our easy, quick and documentation-free policy issuance process.
- Over 3 Lakh Policies Sold
InsuranceDekho is a favourable choice among insurance buyers. Our transparent and quick process, availability of top-rated insurers and our dedicated customer support team has helped us serve and delight more than 3 lakh customers.
- Dedicated Support Team
Our dedicated four wheeler insurance customer support team is available at your service all the 7 days of the week. Feel free to reach out to us for any insurance related assistance, be it related policy purchase or claim settlement.
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Hyundai i20 Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Altroz Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Grand i10 Insurance Quotes
- View Renault KWID Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City 4th Generation Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Aura Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Amaze Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Kiger Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Quotes
- View Kia Seltos Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Creta Insurance Quotes
- View Kia Sonet Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Fortuner Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Triber Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Eeco Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Marazzo Insurance Quotes
Customer's Speak4902 Reviews
- Reasonably pricedThe premiums of the policies presented on InsuranceDekho are well aligned with the policy coverage and benefits. I have ...LibertyBy Avantika ChowdhuryOn:24th February, 2021
- Excellent helpdeskBe it assistance during renewal, policy issuance or claim settlement, the helpdesk on InsuranceDekho is always eager to ...Future GeneraliBy Karim Khatun On:24th February, 2021
- Digital insurance policyInsuranceDekho provided me an opportunity to get a car insurance policy that is digitally issued. It is easy to carry an...KotakBy Bhaswar NathOn:24th February, 2021
- Variety of policy typesVarious types of policies along with their differences are mentioned clearly on InsuranceDekho. It was really easier for...New IndiaBy Dikshita Haldar On:24th February, 2021
- Streamlined policy issuanceI came to InsuranceDekho looking for a car insurance policy suitable for my Ford Escort. I gave the registration number ...DhflBy Somrita Bhattacharya On:24th February, 2021
- Lucrative add-onsThe add-ons available on InsuranceDekho are lucrative. Each one contains brilliant features that contribute to the exten...Bharti AxaBy Nirmal Habib On:24th February, 2021
- Information on network garagesI own a Maruti Esteem insured with Royal Sundaram car insurance policy. I did not know the significance of network hospi...Royal SundaramBy Mahim Patra On:24th February, 2021
- Convenient comparisonI like to compare various policies based on their offered benefits and premium. I am thankful to InsuranceDekho for givi...RelianceBy Prateek JainOn:24th February, 2021
- Got to know factors that impact quoteFactors like the type of the insurance plan, MMV of car, fuel type and policyholder’s credit score impact the generatio...Tata AigBy Tridip VedOn:24th February, 2021
- Feasible renewalRenewing the Digit car insurance policy through InsuranceDekho was feasible. I arranged the required documents and start...DigitBy Shovan MajhiOn:24th February, 2021
What is Car Insurance Policy?
Car insurance is a contract between a car owner and a car insurer wherein the insurance company promises to protect the car owner from financial losses relating to his/her car arising due to a misfortunate event like a road accident, theft, fire, natural calamities, man-made calamities, vandalism, etc. In return for this promise, the four wheeler owner pays an amount known as four wheeler insurance premium to the insurance company. There are three types of four wheeler insurance in India namely Third Party Car Insurance Policy, Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy, and Standalone Own-Damage Car Insurance Policy. As per the Indian Motor Tariff, it is mandatory for every car owner in India to own at least a third party car insurance policy. Driving a car without a valid third party car insurance policy is a legal offense in India which attracts a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months. An insurance cover for the own-damage of the four wheeler insurance is not mandatory, but a recommended cover. This is because it protects the insured from financial losses in case of damage(s) caused to his/her car due to an accident. A comprehensive car insurance policy offers the benefit of both third party car insurance policy as well as standalone own-damage car insurance policy. Which means, it provides the policyholder with complete coverage. The coverage of a car insurance policy can be extended with the help of add-on covers. A car insurance add-on is an extra cover that provides additional coverage to the insured’s car. One of the most popular 4 wheeler insurance add-ons is a zero depreciation cover. By default, the cost of depreciation incurred by a car is not covered under a car insurance plan. However, by opting for a zero depreciation cover, a policyholder can get his/her car covered against depreciation and save a lot of money. Similarly, there are other useful add-ons like car engine cover, tyre cover, roadside assistance, etc. Like every insurance plan, a four wheeler insurance plan also comes with a validity period with a fixed expiry day. Car insurance plans come with short-term (1 year) validity as well as with long-term (3 years and 5 years) validity tenure. Driving car without a valid insurance policy is a legal offence, thus policyholders should always renew their 4 wheeler insurance policy in time and never let it lapse.
Choose Your Car Insurance Type
Comprehensive Car Insurance
Comprehensive car insurance policy is a cover under which an insurance company is liable to pay for damages incurred towards a third party as well as for the own-damages sustained by the insured’s car. A comprehensive car insurance policy offers the most extensive coverage to the policyholder. In addition to road accidents, the policy is applicable in the event of natural calamities, man-made disasters, self-ignition or lightning, explosion, fire, theft, etc. A policyholder can extend the coverage of a comprehensive car insurance plan with the help of add-on covers such as zero depreciation cover, engine cover, roadside assistance cover that one can purchase voluntarily by paying an extra premium. You are already paying for car insurance for third-party cover. It makes better sense in spending a little extra to cover a whole list of possible accident situations. It is true that a comprehensive car insurance policy offers a wider coverage than a third party car insurance policy or a standalone own-damage car insurance policy, but it is not necessary that a comprehensive health insurance policy will always be as expensive as it has benefits which make its premium worth it.
Third Party Car Insurance
Third party car insurance policy is a mandatory requirement for driving a car in India. Under this cover, the four wheeler insurance company is liable to pay for the bodily injuries, permanent disability, temporary disability as well as death of the third party caused by an accident involving the insured’s car. Also known as third-party liability insurance, the third party car insurance policy provides coverage for property damage incurred by the third party up to Rs. 7.5 lakh. The policy does not provide coverage for damages incurred by the insured car. With a third party car insurance plan, a policyholder can also purchase a legal liability cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh for a hired driver of the insured's car against an extra premium. A personal accident cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh can also be purchased for the unnamed passengers of the insured's car with this plan. If caught without the mandatory third party cover, then the driver will be punished with a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 3 months. So, a third party car insurance policy not only saves the policyholder from losses in times of a misfortune event, but also enables him/her to drive legally on the Indian roads.
Standalone Own-Damage Car Insurance
In September 2019, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) introduced the standalone Own damage car insurance policy. Under this plan, the insured gets insurance coverage only for the own-damages sustained by his/her four wheeler in a road accident, natural/man-made calamity, fire, explosion, theft or any other mishap. A standalone own-damage car insurance policy aims at offering the insured the flexibility in terms of the insurer they want to choose. In order to stay compliant with the rules of the Indian Motor Tariff, one can purchase a third party car insurance policy either from the same insurance company or a different one. The insured can extend coverage by purchasing add-on cover(s) along with a standalone own-damage car insurance policy. These may include zero depreciation cover, No Claim Bonus (NCB), emergency assistance cover, return to invoice, engine and gearbox protector, key replacement cover, loss of use-downtime protection and cost of consumable items. Even with add-on cover(s), a standalone own-damage car insurance policy can be purchased at competitive premium.
What is car insurance policy?
Car Insurance/Four Wheeler Insurance is an agreement between an insurance company and a car owner under which the former provides an insurance cover to the policyholder for financial damages incurred by his/her car in unforeseen events. Depending on the coverage, there are three types of car insurance plans - third party car insurance policy, standalone own-damage car insurance and comprehensive car insurance policy.
Why should I buy car insurance?
There are a number of benefits of owning car insurance. Firstly, it helps you meet the legal requirement of owning at least a third party car insurance cover. Moreover, a car insurance policy helps you meet financial liabilities that may arise towards a third party or own-damages to your car due to a road accident or any other unfortunate event.
What are the different types of car insurance policy in India?
On the basis of coverage, there are three types of car insurance in India - third party car insurance policy, standalone own damage car insurance policy, and comprehensive car insurance policy. While a third party (also known as liability only policy) provides coverage for third party liabilities only, a comprehensive car insurance policy provides coverage for own damages in addition to third party liabilities. A standalone own-damage cover provides coverage only for own-damages incurred by the insured’s car.
How much is car insurance premium?
The premium for third party car insurance depends on the engine capacity of the car and is fixed by the IRDAI. However, the premium for standalone own-damage and comprehensive car insurance policies varies from car to car depending on a number of factors such as car's MMV (Make, Model and Variant), RTO location, engine capacity, registration city, fuel type, etc.
What if my car insurance policy gets expired?
Every car insurance comes with a validity period, post which you need to renew it to continue to enjoy its benefits. However, even if you miss to get your car insurance plan renewed by the expiry date, you can still get it renewed till the next 90 days from the date of expiry. After the expiry of this 90-day period, a car insurance cannot be renewed. In such a case, you need to purchase a new car insurance policy.
How to find my car insurance policy number?
Car insurance policy number is a unique 8 to 10 digit number, given by your car insurance company for the identification of your insurance account. It is generally written on your insurance card or statements issued by the insurance company. The number remains the same as long as your policy is active with the respective insurance provider.
Which is best car insurance company in India 2021?
There are a number of factors which make a car insurance company better than its peers. One such important factor is Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR). It is the percentage of claims settled by a car insurance company out of the total number of claims received by it during a financial year. In the financial year 2018-19 the insurance companies which registered the highest claim settlement ratio are IFFCO Tokio General Insurance (96.44%), Royal Sundaram General Insurance (94.07%), and Oriental Insurance Company (93.16%).
Is car insurance mandatory in India?
As per the Indian Motor Tariff, every car owner in the country is compulsorily required to own at least a third party car insurance cover. Absence of a valid third party car insurance plan is a punishable offence which attracts a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months for the first offence.
How is car insurance premium calculated?
The premium of third party car insurance plans is determined by the IRDAI, whereas the premium for standalone own-damage and comprehensive plans vary from insurance company to insurance company. Following are some factors which affect the premium for own-damage four wheeler insurance cover:
- Insured Declared Value – The Insured Declared Value (IDV) is the current market value of the four wheeler. It is one of the important factors which affect the calculation of the premium as IDV is the amount which insurance companies pay the policyholder in the event of total loss of car. Higher IDV attracts a higher premium.
- Engine Cubic Capacity – The premium of a car insurance plan is also a function of the car’s engine cubic capacity. Greater the car’s cubic capacity, higher is the premium.
- Age of the Car – With time the value of the four wheeler reduces due to depreciation. The normal wear and tear reduce the value of the car in the market due to which its insurance premium also reduces. Thus, greater the age, lower the premium.
- Make, Model and Variant – The make, model and variant of the car affects the IDV of the car which eventually affects the car insurance premium. For different make, model and variants of the car, the different premium is applicable.
- RTO Location – Another important factor is the RTO location of the car. It gives the insurance company an idea about the density of traffic in the area/city where the car will be driven and thus the probability of road accidents and other mishaps.
Can car insurance be transferred to the new owner at the purchase of a second hand four wheeler?
Yes, the four wheeler insurance can be transferred from the old owner to the new owner in case the sale of a second-hand car. As per the Indian Motor Tariff, the policy transfer should be completed within 14 days from the car’s purchase date.
Can one car owner buy two policies for the same car?
No, one car owner can not have two insurance policies for the same four-wheeler. However, a third-party insurance plan and own damage cover can be purchased separately for a four-wheeler, in place of a comprehensive four wheeler insurance policy.
How to claim car insurance online?
A car insurance claim can be made online by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Step 1: Register the claim by visiting the website or mobile app
- Step 2: After claim registration, the car’s owner gets a claim registration number
- Step 3: After claim registration, the four wheeler insurance company sends a surveyor the place of accident/mishap to assess the extent of damage. The policyholder needs to submit the required documents at this stage to the surveyor to proceed with the claim.
- Step 4: The damaged four wheeler is then sent to a garage for repairs. Depending on the type of garage, the payment for the claim will be made.
- Step 5: If a network garage is chosen, the bill is directly settled by the four wheeler insurance company with the garage. In case, the garage is not a part of the insurance company’s cashless garages network, the policyholder needs to settle the bill which is later reimbursed by the insurance company.
Car Insurance News
- Best Car Insurance Companies in India 2021
Know about the best car insurance companies in Indian in 202...24 February 2021
- Easy Ways to Check Car Insurance Status Online
You can easily verify if your car is still insured, even if ...24 February 2021
- Tips to File Your Car Insurance Claim Correctly
Check this post to learn about a few important tips to file ...23 February 2021
- New Motor Vehicle Act- Know All about Traffic Offe...
Read this post to learn about traffic offences and fines.23 February 2021
- Things to Do If You Lost Your Car Insurance Papers...
Know what to do if you lose your car insurance papers in thi...22 February 2021
- Going On A Road Trip? Read This!
Wondering what to do before heading out on the road with you...04 January 2021
- How To Keep Your Car Battery Healthy?
The car battery is an essential part of the vehicle. In this...02 January 2021
- Endorsement in Car Insurance
What is ‘endorsement’ in car insurance? Read this article to...02 January 2021
- Understanding Return To Invoice Cover In Car Insur...
Bought a new Car? The Return to Invoice Cover may be a prude...01 January 2021
- What is the Bumper To Bumper Add-On Cover?
Confused what the bumper to bumper add--on cover offers? Rea...03 January 2021
*Standard T&C Apply. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers, which are subject to modification .For more details on risk factors, terms and conditions, please read the sales brochure of respective insurers carefully before concluding a sale. Tax benefits are subject to changes in applicable tax laws. Girnar Insurance Brokers Private Limited, (CIN: U66010RJ2016PTC054811, Regd .Off: Girnar 21, Govind Marg, Moti Doongari Road, Dharam Singh Circle, Jaipur, Rajasthan- 302004; Corp. Off: 11th Floor, Tower B, Emaar Digital Greens, Golf Course Extension Road, Sector-61, Gurugram-122102, Haryana. IRDAI License no 588. Direct Broker (Life & General) valid till 19th March 2023. Email - email@example.com ; Helpline number: 7551196989.
You authorise Girnar Insurance Brokers Pvt Ltd (insurancedekho) to contact you through call, SMS, email, WhatsApp or any other mode in future. You hereby override your NDNC registration.