What is your car's brand?
How to Buy Car Insurance Online?
The process of buying a car insurance is quite simple and easy. Here’s how you can buy the right car insurance online with us.
- Fill Your Car Details
Provide your car details such as its make, model, etc, to see car insurance plans offered by top insurance providers in India.
- Compare Car Insurance Quotes
From all the available car insurance plans, select the plan which suits your budget & requirements in the best manner.
- Make Payment Online
Pay the policy premium online & get your car insurance document instantly in your inbox.
Popular Car Insurance Companies
Top Car Insurance Companies in India 2021
|Companies||Network Garages||Claim Settlement Ratio|
|Bajaj Allianz General Insurance||4,000+||88.83%|
|Bharti Axa General Insurance||5,200+||87.99%|
|Hdfc Ergo General Insurance||6,800+||91.23%|
|Icici Lombard General Insurance||8,800+||87.71%|
|Iffco Tokio General Insurance||4300+||95.30%|
|Kotak General Insurance||1,300+||82.81%|
|National General Insurance||3,100+||85.71%|
|New India General Insurance||3,000+||89.60%|
|Reliance General Insurance||6,200+||84.26%|
|Sbi General Insurance||16000+||89.51%|
|Tata Aig General Insurance||5,000+||90.49%|
|United India General Insurance||3,100+||82.93%|
|Universal Sompo General Insurance||3,500+||90.78%|
Car Insurance Add-ons
- Zero Depreciation Cover
By default, the liability to pay for the depreciation of the car and its various parts rests with the policyholder. However, you can shift the burden of depreciation expenses of your car and its rubber, plastic, and fibre components to the insurance provider by opting for the zero depreciation cover. Under this add-on, no depreciation is subtracted from the coverage for the replacement of old and damaged car parts.
- No Claim Bonus Protection Cover
Your insurance provider rewards for not making a claim during a policy year. This reward is offered as a discount on the own-damage premium of your car insurance policy and is called the no claim bonus (NCB). It can go up to 50% of your own-damage premium. However, if you make even a single claim, this NCB gets lost. You can protect the loss of NCB by opting for a NCB protection cover.
- Engine Protection Cover
No coverage is offered for the damage incurred by the car’s engine due to oil leakage or water ingression. A standard car insurance policy only covers the damage caused to the engine during an accident. However, you can get a complete coverage for your car’s engine damage by opting for an engine protection add-on. It is one of the most opted for add-ons as the engine is the heart of the car.
- Return To Invoice Cover
In case of complete total loss of your car, the Insured Declared Value (IDV) of your car is paid as the compensation amount by the insurance provider. However, the IDV amount is lower than the actual price paid by you at the time of purchasing your car. You can bridge this gap by opting for a return to invoice cover which provides you the amount mentioned in car’s purchase invoice in the event of your car’s total loss.
Explore Car Insurance
Car Insurance Coverage
- What is Covered?
- What is not Covered?
- Third Party Bodily Injuries
All bodily Injuries caused to someone else by your car in an accident will be compensated for by your insurance provider.
- Third Party Disability
If an accident caused by your car results in a disability of a third party, then the compensation for the same will be provided
- Third Party Death
Compensation will be provided in case an accident caused by your car results in a demise of a third party.
- Third Party Property Damage
Damages caused to a third party’s property will be covered up to Rs. 7.5 Lakh.
- Road Accidents
Damages caused to your car in accidents or collisions will be covered.
- Natural Calamities
Damages sustained by your car in natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, cyclones, etc will be covered.
- Man-made Disasters
Damages incurred by your car in man-made disasters like riots, strikes, terrorsism, vandalism, etc will be covered.
- Damage During Transit
Damages caused to your car during transit by road, rail, inland waterway, and lift will be covered.
Damages sustained by your car in fire and explosions will be covered.
- Theft of Your Car
Loss of your car due to theft or burglary is covered.
- Drunk Driving
Claims for incidents when the insured was driving under the influence of alcohol are not admissible.
- Driving Without Valid Driver’s License
No coverage is offered if the insured was driving without a valid driver’s license.
- Wear and Tear/Depreciation
By default, no coverage is offered for depreciation expenses of the car.
No coverage is available for engine oil, brake oil, air conditioner refrigerant, radiator coolant, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, grease, etc.
- Mechanical/Electrical Breakdown
No coverage is provided for mechanical/electrical breakdowns.
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
Claims when the insured was driving under the influence of drugs are not covered.
- Damage in War/Nuclear Attack
No coverage is provided for damages sustained in a war or nuclear activity/attack.
- Damage to Tyre/Tubes Except in Accidents
By default, damages incurred by tyres and tubes, except in case of accidents, are excluded from the coverage
- Damage Incurred Outside Covered Geographical Boundaries
No coverage is offered for damages incurred outside the coverage geographical limits.
How To File A Car Insurance Claim?
A car insurance claim can be made in two ways - cashless claim or reimbursement claim. When you visit a network (partner) garage of your insurance provider for your car’s repair work, the claim is settled in a cashless manner When you visit a non-network garage of your choice, the claim is settled first by you and is later reimbursed to you by your insurance provider. You can follow the below steps to make a car insurance claim -
- Step 1: Inform your insurance provider about the incident.
- Step 2: Get your claim intimation number.
- Step 3: A surveyor will visit the place of the incident to assess the damages.
- Step 4: Your insurance provider will arrange for towing services for your car, if required.
- Step 5: Get your car repaired at either a cashless network garage or a garage of your car.
- Step 6: The claim will be settled by the insurance provider in accordance with the garage chosen by you for repairs.
Why Choose InsuranceDekho for Car Insurance Online?
- Car Insurance in Just 5 Minutes*
Wait no more! Get your car insurance online in just 5 minutes with our easy, quick and paperless car insurance policy issuance process.
- Over 5.5 Lakh Happy Customers
InsuranceDekho is a favourable choice among insurance buyers. Our transparent and quick process, availability of top-rated insurance plans and dedicated customer support team has helped us win the love and confidence of over 5.5 Lakh happy customers
- 7 Days Dedicated Customer Support
Our dedicated customer support team is available at your service all the 7 days of the week. Feel free to reach out to us for any insurance related assistance, be it for policy purchase or claim settlement, we are always there to help you.
Benefits of Car Insurance?
A car insurance offers a host of benefits to its policyholders. The key benefits are as follows -
Helps You Stay Legally CompliantA car insurance helps you stay legally compliant as according to Indian Motor Tariff, every car owner is mandatorily required to have at least a third-party car insurance policy. The absence of which is punishable with a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
Protection Against Third-Party LiabilitiesA car insurance policy helps you mitigate third-party liabilities such as bodily injuries, temporary/permanent disability, death as well as property damage. While, the compensation of third-party property damage is limited to Rs. 7.5 Lakh, there is no compensation cap in case third party bodily injuries, disability or death.
Protection Against Own-DamagesA car insurance policy helps you keep yourself financially secured against the own-damage expenses of your car. Damages incurred in road accidents, natural calamities, man-made disasters, fire, explosion, vandalism, etc are covered under standalone own-damage as well as comprehensive car insurance plans.
Coverage Against TheftA car insurance policy also provides coverage in case of theft of your car. In case your car gets stolen, your insurance company provides you with your car’s Insured Declared Value (IDV) which corresponds to the market price of your car.
Personal Accident CoverWith a car insurance policy, you can also get a personal accident cover of up to Rs. 15 Lakh which offers a coverage in case of death, bodily injuries as well as disability of the policyholder in a car accident.
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai i20 Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Altroz Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Wagon R Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Tiago Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City 4th Generation Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Aura Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Amaze Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Creta Insurance Quotes
- View Kia Seltos Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Scorpio Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Fortuner Insurance Quotes
- View Land Rover Range Rover Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Innova Crysta Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Triber Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Eeco Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Vellfire Insurance Quotes
Customer's Speak5516 Reviews
- Good Experience with InsuranceDekhoEasy to pay. Comparison is useful. Customized option is really very helpful. Easy to identify the charges linked with de...Hdfc ErgoMahindra TUV 300 2015-2019 ChennaiBy PARKER PAUL R GOn:14th May, 2021
- I am satisfiedI had a very good experience, hope it will give benefit as it is said. Till now I am satisfied. I have done it, hope to ...Bharti Axa General InsuranceMaruti Wagon R KolkataBy MANAS KUMAR JANAOn:12th May, 2021
- Learned differences between commercial and private policyInsuranceDekho helped me to get clear insights into the differences between a commercial and private car insurance polic...LibertyBy Sounak MajumdarOn:10th May, 2021
- Fast inspectionThe inspection service of InsuranceDekho is fast. I intimated my insurer, Future Generali about the claim and scheduled ...Future GeneraliBy Satyajit MannaOn:10th May, 2021
- Various parameters to measure efficiencyI would like to thank InsuranceDekho for offering so many parameters to measure policy efficiency. I compared the insura...KotakBy Bidipta Biswas On:10th May, 2021
- No hidden costsInsuranceDekho did not ask for any hidden cost while I was issuing New India car insurance policy for Toyota Yaris. I ca...New IndiaBy Anurupa Chowdhury On:10th May, 2021
- Policy updating is easyI wanted to update my DHFL Third Party car insurance policy for Renault Scala on InsuranceDekho. I sent an email asking ...DhflBy Upama BhattacharyaOn:10th May, 2021
- Help is always availableThe best thing about InsuranceDekho is that the team is always available to help its customers with their queries. I fee...Bharti AxaBy Baani ChaturvediOn:10th May, 2021
- Effective chatboxRecently I bought a Hyundai Santro and was looking for a suitable car insurance policy. I landed on InsuranceDekho, gene...Royal SundaramBy Baishakhi RoyOn:10th May, 2021
- Information on ‘Pay as you drive’ insuranceI am a policyholder of Reliance issued for my Datsun GO Plus. I got a news update on my email from InsuranceDekho regard...RelianceBy Kaneeca JainOn:10th May, 2021
Different Types of Car Insurance
Comprehensive Car Insurance
A Comprehensive Car Insurance policy is the most extensive car insurance cover under which an insurance company is liable to pay for financial liabilities incurred towards a third party as well as for the own-damages sustained by the insured’s car. In addition to road accidents, the policy is applicable in the event of natural calamities, man-made disasters, self-ignition or lightning, explosion, fire, theft, etcView Quotes
Third-Party Car Insurance
Third-Party car insurance policy is a mandatory requirement for driving a car in India. It is the most basic car insurance plan and is thus also called Liability Only Car Insurance Policy. Under this cover, the insurance company is liable to pay for the bodily injuries, permanent disability, temporary disability as well as death of the third party caused by an accident involving the insured’s car. This plan also provides coverage for property damage incurred by the third party up to Rs. 7.5 Lakh.View Quotes
Own Damage Car Insurance
In September 2019, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) introduced the standalone Own-Damage car insurance policy. Under this plan, the insured gets insurance coverage only for the own-damages sustained by his/her four-wheeler in a road accident, natural/man-made calamity, fire, explosion, theft or any other mishap. A standalone own-damage car insurance policy aims at offering the insured the flexibility in terms of the insurance provider they want to choose.View Quotes
Comparison of Different Car Insurance Plans
|Coverage||Third-Party Cover||Standalone OD Cover||Comprehensive Cover|
|Third-Party Bodily Injuries|
|Third-Party Property Damage|
|Personal Accident Cover|
|Theft of Car|
Frequently Asked Questions About Car Insurance
What is a car insurance policy?Car Insurance/Four Wheeler Insurance is an agreement between an insurance company and a car owner under which the former provides an insurance cover to the policyholder for financial damages incurred by his/her car in unforeseen events. Depending on the coverage, there are three types of car insurance plans - third party car insurance policy, standalone own-damage car insurance and comprehensive car insurance policy.
Why should I buy car insurance?
There are a number of benefits of owning car insurance. Firstly, it helps you meet the legal requirement of owning at least a third party car insurance cover. Moreover, a car insurance policy helps you meet financial liabilities that may arise towards a third party or own-damages to your car due to a road accident or any other unfortunate event.
What are the different types of car insurance policy in India?
On the basis of coverage, there are three types of car insurance in India - third party car insurance policy, standalone own damage car insurance policy, and comprehensive car insurance policy. While a third party (also known as liability only policy) provides coverage for third party liabilities only, a comprehensive car insurance policy provides coverage for own damages in addition to third party liabilities. A standalone own-damage cover provides coverage only for own-damages incurred by the insured’s car..
How much is car insurance premium?
The premium for third party car insurance depends on the engine capacity of the car and is fixed by the IRDAI. However, the premium for standalone own-damage and comprehensive car insurance policies varies from car to car depending on a number of factors such as car's MMV (Make, Model and Variant), RTO location, engine capacity, registration city, fuel type,
What if my car insurance policy gets expired?
Every car insurance comes with a validity period, post which you need to renew it to continue to enjoy its benefits. However, even if you miss to get your car insurance plan renewed by the expiry date, you can still get it renewed till the next 90 days from the date of expiry. After the expiry of this 90-day period, car insurance cannot be renewed. In such a case, you need to purchase a new car insurance policy.
How to find my car insurance policy number?
Car insurance policy number is a unique 8 to 10 digit number, given by your car insurance company for the identification of your insurance account. It is generally written on your insurance card or statements issued by the insurance company. The number remains the same as long as your policy is active with the respective insurance provider.
Which is the best car insurance company in India 2021?
There are a number of factors which make a car insurance company better than its peers. One such important factor is Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR). It is the percentage of claims settled by a car insurance company out of the total number of claims received by it during a financial year. In the financial year 2018-19 the insurance companies which registered the highest claim settlement ratio are IFFCO Tokio General Insurance (96.44%), Royal Sundaram General Insurance (94.07%), and Oriental Insurance Company (93.16%)..
Is car insurance mandatory in India?
As per the Indian Motor Tariff, every car owner in the country is compulsorily required to own at least a third party car insurance cover. Absence of a valid third party car insurance plan is a punishable offence which attracts a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months for the first offence.
How is car insurance premium calculated?The premium of third party car insurance plans is determined by the IRDAI, whereas the premium for standalone own-damage and comprehensive plans vary from insurance company to insurance company. Following are some factors which affect the premium for own-damage four wheeler insurance cover:
- Insured Declared Value – The Insured Declared Value (IDV) is the current market value of the four wheeler. It is one of the important factors which affect the calculation of the premium as IDV is the amount which insurance companies pay the policyholder in the event of total loss of car. Higher IDV attracts a higher premium.
- Engine Cubic Capacity – The premium of a car insurance plan is also a function of the car’s engine cubic capacity. Greater the car’s cubic capacity, higher is the premium.
- Age of the Car – With time the value of the four wheeler reduces due to depreciation. The normal wear and tear reduce the value of the car in the market due to which its insurance premium also reduces. Thus, greater the age, lower the premium.
- Make, Model and Variant – The make, model and variant of the car affects the IDV of the car which eventually affects the car insurance premium. For different make, model and variants of the car, the different premium is applicable.
- RTO Location – Another important factor is the RTO location of the car. It gives the insurance company an idea about the density of traffic in the area/city where the car will be driven and thus the probability of road accidents and other mishaps.
Can car insurance be transferred to the new owner at the purchase of a second hand four wheeler?
Yes, the four wheeler insurance can be transferred from the old owner to the new owner in case the sale of a second-hand car. As per the Indian Motor Tariff, the policy transfer should be completed within 14 days from the car’s purchase date.
Can one car owner buy two policies for the same car?
No, one car owner can not have two insurance policies for the same four-wheeler. However, a third-party insurance plan and own damage cover can be purchased separately for a four-wheeler, in place of a comprehensive four wheeler insurance.
How to claim car insurance online?
A car insurance claim can be made online by following the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Register the claim by visiting the website or mobile app
Step 2: After claim registration, the car’s owner gets a claim registration number
Step 3: After claim registration, the four wheeler insurance company sends a surveyor the place of accident/mishap to assess the extent of damage. The policyholder needs to submit the required documents at this stage to the surveyor to proceed with the claim.
Step 4: The damaged four wheeler is then sent to a garage for repairs. Depending on the type of garage, the payment for the claim will be made.
Step 5: If a network garage is chosen, the bill is directly settled by the four wheeler insurance company with the garage. In case, the garage is not a part of the insurance company’s cashless garages network, the policyholder needs to settle the bill which is later reimbursed by the insurance company.
Car Insurance News
- How To Do Self-Inspection For Expired Car Insuranc...
This article will give you step-by-step guidelines on self-i...15 May 2021
- What To Do Soon After A Car Accident?
This article will guide you through the basic protocol that ...14 May 2021
- How to Cancel A Car Insurance Policy and Receive A...
This article provides detailed guidelines on cancelling a ca...14 May 2021
- Top Factors That Determine The Premium of Your Car...
This article provides detailed information on factors that a...13 May 2021
- What is Key Replacement Cover in Car Insurance?
This article will provide detailed information on key replac...13 May 2021
- Simple Steps to Renew Your Car Insurance Policy On...
Read this post to learn about simple steps to renew your car...18 March 2021
- Top Secrets About Car Insurance That You Should Kn...
Know top secrets about car insurance that may be unknown to ...23 March 2021
- Benefits of Engine Protection Cover in Car Insuran...
Engine protection is an important add-on cover under a car i...31 March 2021
- Tips to Make Your Car Insurance the Top Deal Ever
Trying to choose the best car insurance plan for you? Here a...24 March 2021
- Ways To Check Whether A Car Insurance Policy is Ge...
Read this post to learn ways to check whether a car insuranc...22 March 2021
*Standard T&C Apply. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers, which are subject to modification .For more details on risk factors, terms and conditions, please read the sales brochure of respective insurers carefully before concluding a sale. Tax benefits are subject to changes in applicable tax laws. Girnar Insurance Brokers Private Limited, (CIN: U66010RJ2016PTC054811, Regd .Off: Girnar 21, Govind Marg, Moti Doongari Road, Dharam Singh Circle, Jaipur, Rajasthan- 302004; Corp. Off: 11th Floor, Tower B, Emaar Digital Greens, Golf Course Extension Road, Sector-61, Gurugram-122102, Haryana. IRDAI License no 588. Direct Broker (Life & General) valid till 19th March 2023. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org ; Helpline number: 7551196989.
You authorise Girnar Insurance Brokers Pvt Ltd (insurancedekho) to contact you through call, SMS, email, WhatsApp or any other mode in future. You hereby override your NDNC registration.