What is your car's brand?
How to Buy Car Insurance Policy Online?
- Fill Your Car Details
Provide your car details such as the make, model, etc, and get insurance quotes instantly from top car insurance companies.
- Compare Car Insurance
From all the available insurance premium, select the one which suits your budget & requirements in the best manner to choose a right plan.
- Make Payment Online
Pay car insurance premium online and get your policy document instantly in your inbox.
Benefits of Buying Online Car Insurance Policy
- Car Insurance Policy in 5 minutes
Forget waiting for hours & days for getting a car insurance policy. Get your car insurance policy issued in just 5 minutes with our easy, quick and documentation-free policy issuance process.
- Over 3 Lakh Policies Sold
InsuranceDekho is a favourable choice among insurance buyers. Our transparent and quick process, availability of top-rated insurers and our dedicated customer support team has helped us serve and delight more than 3 lakh customers.
- Dedicated Support Team
Our dedicated car insurance customer support team is available at your service all the 7 days of the week. Feel free to reach out to us for any insurance related assistance, be it related policy purchase or claim settlement.
Find Right Car Insurance Quotes by Cars Body Type
- View Hyundai i20 Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Swift Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Altroz Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Baleno Insurance Quotes
- View Renault KWID Insurance Quotes
- View Tata Tiago Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Dzire Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City 4th Generation Insurance Quotes
- View Honda City Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Verna Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Aura Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Amaze Insurance Quotes
- View Kia Sonet Insurance Quotes
- View Kia Seltos Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Thar Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Creta Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Vitara Brezza Insurance Quotes
- View Hyundai Venue Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti Ertiga Insurance Quotes
- View Renault Triber Insurance Quotes
- View Maruti XL6 Insurance Quotes
- View Mahindra Marazzo Insurance Quotes
- View Toyota Vellfire Insurance Quotes
- View Datsun GO Plus Insurance Quotes
Customer's Speak4133 Reviews
- Very good responseVery nice support by the entire team. Very polite team. Quick and fast response from the team. Thanks and best regards t...Shriram General InsuranceCELERIO VXI AgraBy HAMBIR SINGHOn:1st December, 2020
- User friendly websiteEven for first-time policy issuing, InsuranceDekho is easy to use. The segments are filled with information in simple la...Raheja QbeBy Chirag Mukherjee On:1st December, 2020
- Awesome experienceMore than satisfied with the service of InsuranceDekho. The whole team has made documenting policy a smooth experience. ...EdelweissBy Sonia Ghosh On:1st December, 2020
- Renew policy swiftlyThanks to InsuranceDekho, policy renewal could not get any easier. My ACKO car insurance policy was renewed in a jiffy w...AckoBy Pratima PaulOn:1st December, 2020
- Guidance on how to avail cashless garagesI own a Universal Sompo car insurance policy for my Skoda Rapid. I have never used the benefits of cashless garages that...Universal SompoBy Hema Pradhan On:1st December, 2020
- Got to know about claim settlement procedureI am a policyholder of Shriram comprehensive car insurance for my Ford Figo. I used the online chat box available on the...ShriramBy Ratan Banerjee On:1st December, 2020
- Convenience of online paymentThe online payment option on InsuranceDekho makes the whole process of buying insurance easier. I chose the IFFCO Tokio ...Iffco TokioBy Proma Maity On:1st December, 2020
- Responsive chat boxI wanted to renew the Royal Sundaram Policy. I could not understand the process clearly. So, I dropped a message in the ...Royal SundaramBy Payel SahuOn:1st December, 2020
- Speedy policy issuanceI wanted to buy the Reliance policy online for my Mahindra Xylo to avoid hassles. My cousin suggested that I should use ...RelianceBy Aparna MitraOn:1st December, 2020
- Policy comparison made easyI wanted to compare all the top car policies before insuring my Chevrolet Captiva. I tried out InsuranceDekho. I could e...Tata AigBy Aranya SahaOn:1st December, 2020
Car insurance is a contract between a car owner and an insurance company wherein the insurance company promises to protect the car owner from financial losses relating to his/her car arising due to a misfortunate event like a road accident, theft, fire, natural calamities, man-made calamities, vandalism, etc. In return for this promise, the car owner pays an amount known as car insurance premium to the insurance company. There are three types of car insurance in India namely Third Party Car Insurance Policy, Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy, and Standalone Own-Damage Car Insurance Policy. As per the Indian Motor Tariff, it is mandatory for every car owner in India to own at least a third party car insurance policy. Driving a car without a valid third party car insurance policy is a legal offense in India which attracts a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months. An insurance cover for the own-damage of the car is not mandatory, but a recommended cover. This is because it protects the insured from financial losses in case of damage(s) caused to his/her vehicle due to an accident. A comprehensive car insurance policy offers the benefit of both third party car insurance policy as well as standalone own-damage car insurance policy. Which means, it provides the policyholder with complete coverage. The coverage of a car insurance policy can be extended with the help of add-on covers. A car insurance add-on is an extra cover that provides additional coverage to the insured’s car. One of the most popular car insurance add-ons is a zero depreciation cover. By default, the cost of depreciation incurred by a car is not covered under a car insurance plan. However, by opting for a nil depreciation cover, a policyholder can get his/her car covered against depreciation and save a lot of money. Similarly, there are other useful add-ons like car engine cover, tyre cover, roadside assistance, etc. Car insurance plans have a expiry day. Usually, they continue a year till you've bought a longterm policy. Driving car without a valid insurance policy is actually just a legal offence, so thus you should never let your policy lapse and drive.
Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy
Comprehensive car insurance policy is a cover under which the four wheeler insurance company is liable to pay for damages caused to the third party property and life (including death) by the insured’s car as well as for the own damages sustained by the insured’s car. A comprehensive car insurance policy offers the most extensive coverage to the policyholder. In addition to road accidents, the policy covers damages incurred during natural calamities, man-made disasters, fire, explosion, self-ignition or lightning, theft, terrorist activity, damage in transit by road, rail, inland waterway, lift, elevator as well as air. A policyholder can extend the coverage of a comprehensive car insurance plan with the help of add-on covers such as zero depreciation cover, engine cover, roadside assistance cover that one can purchase voluntarily by paying an extra premium. You are already paying for car insurance for third-party cover. It makes better sense in spending a little extra to cover a whole list of possible accident situations. It is true that a comprehensive car insurance policy offers a wider coverage than a third party car insurance policy or a standalone own-damage car insurance policy, but it is not necessary that a comprehensive health insurance policy will always be as expensive as it has benefits which make its premium worth it.
Third Party Car Insurance Policy
Third party car insurance policy is a mandatory requirement for driving a car in India. Under this cover, the four wheeler insurance company is liable to pay for the bodily injuries, permanent/temporary liability, total/partial liability, as well as death of the third party caused by an accident involving the insured’s car. Also known as third-party liability insurance, the third party car insurance policy provides coverage for property damage incurred by the third party up to Rs. 7.5 lakh. The policy does not provide coverage for damages incurred by the insured car. With a third party car insurance plan, a policyholder can also purchase a legal liability cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh for a hired driver of the insured's car against an extra premium. A personal accident cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh can also be purchased for the unnamed passengers of the insured's car with this plan. If caught without the mandatory third party cover, then the driver will be punished with a fine of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment for up to 3 months. So, a third party car insurance policy not only saves the policyholder from losses in times of a misfortune event, but also enables him/her to drive legally on the Indian roads.
Standalone Own-Damage Car Insurance Policy
In September 2019, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) introduced the standalone own-damage car insurance policy. Under this plan, the insured gets insurance coverage only for the own-damages sustained by his/her four wheeler in a road accident, natural/man-made calamity, fire, explosion, theft or any other mishap. A standalone own-damage car insurance policy aims at offering the insured the flexibility in terms of the insurer they want to choose. In order to stay compliant with the rules of the Indian Motor Tariff, one can purchase a third party car insurance policy either from the same insurance company or a different one. The insured can extend coverage by purchasing add-on cover(s) along with a standalone own-damage car insurance policy. These may include zero depreciation cover, No Claim Bonus (NCB), emergency assistance cover, return to invoice, engine and gearbox protector, key replacement cover, loss of use-downtime protection and cost of consumable items. Even with add-on cover(s), a standalone own-damage car insurance policy can be purchased at competitive premium.
Car Insurance Policy FAQs
What is Car Insurance Policy?
Car Insurance is a contract between a car owner and an insurance company wherein the latter promises to protect the former’s car from unforeseen financial losses arising from unexpected events such as a road accident, theft, fire, natural calamities, vandalism and other such scenarios. In return for this promise, the car owner pays an amount known as car insurance premium to the insurance company.
Why should I need a car insurance policy?
You should buy a car insurance as according to the Indian Motor Tariff, it is a mandatory requirement for every car owner for being able to drive the vehicle legally in the country. Besides legal compliance, a car insurance policy also provides you with financial stability if your car meets an accident in the future.
What are the different types of car insurance policy in India?
There are 3 types of car insurance policies in India namely third party car insurance policy, standalone own damage car insurance policy, and comprehensive car insurance policy. While a third party/liability only provides coverage for third party liabilities only, a standalone own damage cover takes care of the own-damages incurred by your car only. A comprehensive car insurance policy is a bundled cover which provides coverage for both own damages as well as for third party liabilities.
How much is car insurance policy premium?
Third party car insurance is fixed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India as per the engine capacity of the car. However, the premium for standalone own damage and comprehensive car insurance vary from car owner to car owner. The own-damage premium depends on a number of factors such as RTO location, Make, Model, and Variant of the car, engine capacity, registration city, fuel type, etc.
What if my car insurance policy gets expired?
Every car insurance comes with a validity period, post which you need to renew it to continue to enjoy its benefits. However, even if you miss to get your car insurance plan renewed by the expiry date, you can still get it renewed till the next 90 days from the date of expiry. After the expiry of this 90-day period, a car insurance policy cannot be renewed. In such a case, you need to purchase a new car insurance policy.
How to find my car insurance policy number?
Car insurance policy number is a unique 8 to 10 digit number, given by your car insurance company for the identification of your insurance account. It is generally written on your insurance card or statements issued by the insurance company. The number remains the same as long as your policy is active with the respective insurance provider.
Which is best car insurance policy in India 2020?
Best insurance company varies from policyholder to policyholder depending on their requirements such as type of plan, add-on covers, customer support service, etc. However, one reliable parameter to compare different insurance companies for cars is the Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR). A Claim Settlement Ratio refers to the percentage of claims settled by a car insurance company out of the total number of claims received by it during a financial year. The higher the claim settlement ratio, the better it is.
Car Insurance News
- Things to put into a car emergency kit
Every car should ideally have an emergency kit. But what sho...01 December 2020
- What to do if your car breaks down on a busy highw...
What do you need to do if a car breaks down on a highway? Re...01 December 2020
- Things to Do in Case Car Catches Fire
Car fires spread fast and require you to respond quickly. Re...30 November 2020
- New Car Registration Process and Documents Require...
Bought a new car and need to get it registered? Read this ar...30 November 2020
- Why You Should Renew Your car Insurance Before the...
Why do insurance companies insist you renew the car insuranc...29 November 2020
- Know Which Are the Best Car Insurance Companies in...
Here is a list of the best car insurers in terms of claim se...20 September 2019
- How to Claim Car Insurance After Meeting an Accide...
Browse step by step experts guide on how to make a car insur...23 December 2019
- Which Insurance Company Provides the Cheapest Car ...
Here is a list of car insurance plans available at reasonabl...24 September 2019
- Is Personal Accident Cover for Owner-Driver Compul...
Every car owner in India is mandatorily required to have a p...09 December 2019
- Things to Know About Multi Year Car Insurance Poli...
There are multiple benefits of a multi year car insurance po...09 January 2020
*Standard T&C Apply. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers which are subject to modification. For more details on risk factors, terms and conditions, please read the sales brochure of respective insurers carefully before concluding a sale. Girnar Insurance Brokers Private Limited, 11th Floor, Tower B, Emaar Digital Greens, Golf Course Extension Road, Sector-61, Gurugram-122102, Haryana. IRDAI License Number : 588. Direct Broker (Life and General) valid till 19th March 2023. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org.