Steps to Raise Car Insurance After an Accident
Updated On Oct 15, 2023
Wondering what you need to do in case of a mishap on road? Read this article to find out.
Table of Contents
Accidents on the road can happen even if one is the most cautious person when driving and this can be an extremely stressful experience for most. When you meet with an accident there are few steps that you need to take as soon as possible to initiate the claim process. Moreover, it is crucial that you understand the process of filing for a claim beforehand so you can deal with the situation in an appropriate manner. In this article, we will tell you about everything you need to know to file a car insurance claim after an accident.
How to File for a Car Insurance Claim?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to file a car insurance claim:
Step 1: Inform the insurance company about the accident as soon as possible so they can initiate the claim process. Do not try to withhold any information at this time as it will be counterproductive.
Step 2: File an FIR at the nearest police station, you will need a copy of the document for the claim procedure. It will be especially important if there was a third party involved in the accident.
Step 3: Take pictures of the damage and the location of the accident. Also, note down any other important information that can be used as proof. It will help bolster the case for your car insurance claim.
Step 4: There are certain documents that you will need to submit to the insurance provider along with the claim form duly filled.
Step 5: After the documents are submitted, if the car needs to be repaired it must first be checked by the surveyor. They will draw up a report of the damage and the claim will then go through a verification process.
Step 6: Once these are done and if the claim is approved you can get your car repaired. If you take the car to a network garage the repairs can be handled directly in a hassle-free and cashless manner. However, if you prefer another garage the insurance provider will transfer the compensation after you submit the original invoice to them. However, if the car is declared as a constructive total loss or total loss the insurance company will transfer the IDV amount and you will be required to hand over the car and all other paraphernalia related to it to them.
What are the Documents Required to File for Car Insurance in Case of an Accident?
Below-mentioned is the documents that are required for filing a car insurance claim:
- Car Insurance Policy Document Copy
- Driver’s Licence Copy
- Registration Certificate Copy
- Duly Filled Claim Form
- Original Invoice of Repairs
- Medical Receipts in Case of Injuries
Things to Keep in Mind When Filing for a Car Insurance Claim
The following points are things to remember when you are filing a car insurance claim:
- Inform the insurance company about the accident as soon as possible, especially before the stipulated time. In case there is a delay there are chances that your claim may be rejected.
- Inform the police about the incident if it is necessary. Moreover, if it is required to file an FIR, you will need a copy of the document for the claim.
- Before you file for an insurance claim assess the damage. If the damage caused was minor and less than the NCB amount you have accumulated, it is better to not file for an insurance claim.
- When submitting the claim form or answering questions asked by the insurance company try to ensure that the information you provide is accurate. Any discrepancies can lead to complications or even rejection of the claim.
- If there is no specific reason for using a non-network garage, take your car to a network garage. The compensation process is easier and far more straightforward.
In a nutshell, in case there is an accident it is crucial to stay calm and take the necessary steps as mentioned above. Thanks to modern technology filing for a car insurance claim is now a simple procedure that can be completed in a swift and trouble-free manner. Similarly, when purchasing insurance you can now do it online. This way of buying insurance is very simple and hassle-free as well. With just a few clicks you can compare the different car insurance companies, check their network of cashless garages and the quotes they offer. Moreover, you can also renew your insurance and use the premium calculator, all from the comfort of your home. If you have questions about car insurance or want to keep up with the news about it, click here to read our articles.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.