Natural Ways To Control Your Blood Pressure
Updated On Dec 04, 2020
Hypertension or High blood pressure can be a problematic situation if not looked after. Having high levels of blood pressure above 130/80 is a sign that your heart is facing issues to pump blood and maintain resistance in your arteries.
However, when not controlled, hypertension can cause a wide range of diseases, ranging from a heart attack to kidney disease and even cognitive decline. While there is always a way to reduce your high levels of blood pressure with medication, it is necessary to adapt to natural ways to reduce the same.
Interestingly, a small change in your lifestyle can lead to a reduction in blood pressure in your body.
Natural Ways To Lower Your Blood Pressure
Thankfully, you don’t have to embark on a major life-changing journey to reduce your blood pressure naturally, small steps like a healthy lifestyle can help you with the same. Few natural ways to control high-pressure levels are:
- Lose Weight: Losing weight is one of the most effective means of reducing elevated blood pressure. Studies suggest that a controlled height to weight body ratio can help you maintain pressure by an average of 3.2 mm Hg diastolic and 4.5 mm Hg systolic.
However, it does not mean that you need to reduce your weight by significant levels. Even losing as little as a kilogram of your total weight can help reduce your blood pressure.
- Add Probiotics In Your List: Consuming food that contains probiotics (live bacteria) is a great way to reduce your blood pressure levels to normal. These consumable live bacterias help the body by releasing special chemicals that help the body reduce blood pressure in a normal way.
Fiber can be a great source to induce prebiotic to a lot of bacteria. The bacteria then break down the fibre to release the desired chemicals that help in hypertension.
- Consume Garlic Or Garlic Extract Supplements: Consuming fresh garlic or garlic extract supplements are a proven method to reduce blood pressure levels naturally. Studies show that time-release garlic extract preparation has a better impact on blood pressure than the regular garlic powder tablets. It helps in the reduction of 6 mm Hg and a systolic reduction of 12 mm Hg, naturally.
- Add Weightlifting To Your Regime: Weightlifting can be a healthy sport for persons who suffer from hypertension. Weightlifting not only helps you have a steady exercise regime but also helps lose weight, affecting the overall levels of blood pressure inside your body.
However, since weightlifting can’t be the exercise for every individual, regular exercises or walks can also be a great way to keep a check on your blood pressure levels in a natural way.
- Practise Meditation & Deep Breathing: While meditation and deep breathing fall under “stress reduction techniques,” they are equally effective in managing hypertension. Both meditation and deep breathing help in activating the parasympathetic nervous system that relaxes the body and reduces the heart rate, gradually lowering the blood pressure.
You can also try different deep breathing techniques as they have also proven to be quite effective majorly.
- Consume Berries: Berries are more than fruit when it comes to hypertension. They are packed with polyphenols that are an effective supplement to keep your heart in a healthy condition.
Polyphenols reduce the risk of stroke and are majorly related to keeping the heart under healthy conditions.
A high-polyphenol diet containing berries, chocolate, fruits, and vegetables is a great way to reduce blood pressure naturally.
If done cautiously, the suggested natural ways can help you keep your blood pressure under control. However, it is always advisable to get properly prescribed medication if you are suffering from hypertension.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.