Coronavirus Vaccine: What You Can And Cannot Do After Getting Vaccinated?
Published On Mar 08, 2021 5:30 AM By Sakshi Aggarwal
Table of Contents
The Covid-19 Vaccine has arrived after a long year of apprehension and fearfully combatting the Coronavirus. Despite common misgivings, medical experts and doctors are urging people to get vaccinated as it will offer them lifelong protection against Covid-19 and also shield them from contracting other serious illnesses. However, some side effects are common to all kinds of vaccines and it is important for you to know that the signs you display after getting a shot of the Covid vaccine are normal and in certain cases mild, compared to the aggravated side effects of some common vaccines such as the flu, tetanus or shingles vaccine.
In this article, we are going to look at some of the do’s and don'ts that you should follow after getting vaccinated by the Covid vaccine shot. The following pointers will help you understand better -
What You Can Do After Covid Vaccination
The following are a list of things that you should be attentive to while your body preps itself to build protection -
1. If you experience any kind of pain or discomfort after getting the injection, you are advised against using over-the-counter medicines or drugs that you would have normally consumed to ease the same. You should consult your doctor and explain your problem to know the kind of medication that can be administered to you under the circumstances.
2. If you would like to ease your pain or discomfort without using any extra medication, you can apply a cool, wet washcloth over the site of your injection and perform some basic freehand exercises.
3. In case you report mild fever, you must remember to drink plenty of fluids and dress lightly, allowing your body to shed off the excess toxins and cool off.
4. While both fever and pain are normal side effects when your body is preparing itself to build up a stronger immune system, you should not hesitate to call your doctor if the site of your injection develops redness or tenderness after 24 hours.
5. Finally, you should not forget to schedule your second shot as recommended after a 3 week or 1-month interval of the first shot for full protection against the SARS Cov-2 virus.
What You Cannot Do After Covid Vaccination
The following are a list of pointers that you cannot do even after getting a covid vaccine shot -
1. Under no circumstances can you stop wearing a mask even after getting vaccinated by the Covid vaccine shot. Doctors are of the opinion that removing the mask would be one of the biggest mistakes to make right now. Vaccination offers a certain degree of protection and reinfection is still extremely potent.
2. Experts contend that alcohol reduces the immune functioning of our bodies and renders a person incapable of developing adequate defense mechanisms. Hence, you should not consume alcohol for at least 45 days after receiving the first dose of the vaccine, if you want to be fully equipped to combat Coronavirus.
3. Researchers argue that you cannot stop maintaining physical distance even after being vaccinated. It is still considered to be the most useful way of restricting contact and risk of infection and by being six feet apart you will contribute to the fight against Covid-19, and minimizing the spread of other infections at a community level.
4. Getting a vaccine does not necessarily guarantee that you can take vacations abroad or gather in large groups all over again. Till a majority of the world's population has received two doses of the vaccine, you cannot travel overseas and must abide by the travel restrictions in place to reduce the risk of transmission.
5. Travel restrictions do not imply that you have the liberty of thronging bars, closed restaurants, and other high-risk places to have fun. While mass vaccination would expedite the opening of movie theatres, shopping malls, educational institutions, and other zones of crowd concentration, you must not visit these places even after a vaccine shot. You must remember, that till the time we achieve herd immunity, there will be people prone to the Covid-19 infection.
These are some of the major things that you can and cannot do after getting a Covid vaccine. Instead of jumping to perform outdoor activities, you must give your body the time to develop its immune system and build up greater protection against the Coronavirus. You must be careful about taking rest and be attentive towards the initial side-effects of the vaccine, knowing when to call a doctor. Being patient now can go a long way in ensuring a healthier future and therefore you should continue to wear a mask and maintain physical distancing to reduce the vulnerability and risk of infection of other people.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.
Also, you can select the best covid-19 health insurance for your treatment.