All About Health Insurance Plans For Parents
Updated On Nov 01, 2020
Health Insurance in today’s world has become a necessity. Especially for senior citizens it is all the more important to have. When your parents reach an age which is above 60 years, it becomes slightly difficult to continue with the family floater plan. This happens partially because many insurance companies do not ensure people after a certain age in family floater plans and partially because the premium of the policy increases manyfold. In such a case, a senior citizen health insurance plan makes sure that your parents do not suffer from a financial crisis at the onset of a sudden medical emergency.
What Does Senior Citizens Health Insurance Plan Cover For Your Parents?
Health insurance plans for parents can be purchased under the senior category which is the age of 65 to 80 years. However, this age limit for insurance policy differs from one insurance company to another. Here are some reasons why you will never regret to cover your parents with the best insurance policy.
- Hospitalisation Expenses: It covers all the hospitalisation charges. This cover is applicable when the policy holder is admitted for more than 24 hours (in most policies).
- Daycare Procedures: Daycare procedures are those procedures which do not require a hospitalisation of even 24 hours. These are one day procedures and the patient can be discharged the same day. Nearly all the daycare procedures are included in these policies.
- Emergency Travel: These policies also cover ambulance charges to a limit and travel (medical perspective) with a family member.
- Annual Health Check-Up: Most of the health insurance companies either provide coverage for the health check-up annually or at the time of renewal.
- Pre-Hospitalisation And Post-Hospitalisation Expenses: Pre-Hospitalisation covers all the medical charges incurred in 30 days before hospitalisation. The Post-Hospitalisation in this type of policy varies. Some companies provide this in terms of percentage of sum insured or hospitalisation bill and some insurance policies provide the medical expenses incurred within a fixed number of days. In both these cases there is an upper limit set.
- Cover for Degenerative Diseases: Most of the policies for older people have coverage for degenerative diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
- Home Treatment: Many policies cover treatment at home for older people. This cover is limited by a certain amount which varies from company to company.
You may also like to read: Health Insurance for Parents - Factors to Consider & Plans Available
The Exclusions of the Health Insurance Policy for Parents
Here is a list of some of the medical conditions that are uncovered in the health insurance plans for seniors:
- Ailments or health disorders that are diagnosed within 30 days of purchase of the health insurance plan.
- Any form of non-allopathic treatment is exempted from seeking coverage under senior citizen health insurance policy.
- Expenses for covering any self-inflicted injuries or drug abuse, or injuries caused by war.
- Medical expenses to cover the HIV/AIDS treatment charges.
- Expenses include dental procedures, spectacles, and lenses, except those caused due to accidents.
- Medical expenses linked to cosmetic surgeries.
Insuring your senior parents with the best health insurance policy is a smart decision that you could ever make. Such health policies offer financial protection against medical illnesses and treatments often associated with the increasing age. It entitles your senior members with better health coverage plans designed for one and all.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.