What Is The Best Way To Check Your Car Insurance Details Using Your Registration Number?
Published On May 04, 2022 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
Know how you can check your car insurance details using your registration number.
Table of Contents
Car insurance primarily means an agreement between you and an insurance provider who would cover the losses originating from accidents or damage to the car in exchange for a regular payment of premium annually. According to the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, it has become compulsory to insure your car during purchase. So, it is important to know how to handle this insurance properly.
When you buy car insurance, you get a unique policy number with it. The significance of the number is that it helps the insurance company to identify your policy account and the vehicle associated with it. In case you lose the insurance policy number of your car, do not panic!
Car insurance can be checked using your car’s registration number too. A registration number of a car is the unique number given to it while registering it in the Regional Transport Office (RTO). It is a combination of letters and numbers printed on the number plate of a vehicle and is completely unique to the vehicle concerned. Let’s explore ways to check your car insurance details using your registration number.
Finding Your Insurance Policy Using Registration Number
Your vehicle number or the unique registration number comes in handy when you do not have access to the policy number. The following methods are helpful to find details about the insurance online:
- The first option you have is to visit the official website of the concerned RTO and use your registration number to check your car insurance policy number from there.
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA) has a website developed for such purposes, namely the Insurance Information Bureau (https://iib.gov.in/). Here, you can find details about your insurance policy using the vehicle registration number.
- The State Transport Department website can also help you find your car insurance details using your vehicle registration number.
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways website (https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/) contains the details of the car insurance policy issued on your registration number. Just enter your registration number to access your insurance policy details.
- Lastly, you can directly log in to your insurance company’s official website with your vehicle registration number and check the required details about the policy. It can give you access to various other details about the insurance too.
Every insurance company comes with a mobile app for better access to their services on the move. In this case, you can find your policy details with the registration number from the app too. Apart from online methods, you can directly visit the insurance company branch nearest to your residence and provide them with your car registration number to access your policy details.