Best Health Insurance Plans For Senior Citizens in 2023
Updated On Nov 08, 2023
In comparison to younger individuals, senior citizens are more likely to be affected by health problems. In fact, as per different reports, it has been found that senior citizens are affected with health problems like hypertension, diabetes, and others in a larger ratio. So, let’s help you find out about some of the best health insurance plans for senior citizens that you can consider buying in 2023.
Table of Contents
What Are Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plans?
As the name suggests, senior citizen health insurance plans are specially designed for individuals above the age of 60 years. With a senior citizen health insurance plan, you will get coverage for all the medical expenses incurred by a senior citizen. However, before buying a senior citizen health insurance plan, listed below are some of the things that you need to be aware of:
- To buy health insurance plans for senior citizens, you should look for a plan that has a shorter waiting period. It makes sense to buy health insurance plans with a shorter waiting period as senior citizens are more prone to fall ill and contract health problems.
- You should ideally choose a health insurance company that has tie-ups with a large number of network hospitals. A higher number of network hospitals is beneficial for policyholders to avail cashless treatment. Ideally, the policyholder must choose an insurer that has tie-ups with a larger number of network hospitals.
- You must look at whether your health insurance company provides coverage for free annual check-ups or not. If it does not, you should look for other insurance companies that provide this coverage.
- You should also look for the inclusions and exclusions offered under different health insurance plans. This will help you in buying the right health insurance policy for senior citizens.
- The health insurance premium for senior citizens is generally higher. So, you should look for an insurance company that offers discounts on senior citizen's plans. Moreover, you should also check whether the company is offering lifetime renewability or not.
A List of Senior Citizen Health Insurance Plans in India
Listed below are some of the top senior citizen plans that you can consider buying:
Bajaj Allianz Silver Health Plan
The Bajaj Allianz Silver Health Plan is a type of senior citizen plan that offers you the option to choose a sum insured between Rs. 50,000 - Rs. 10,00,000. The minimum entry age for this plan is 46 years and the maximum age is 80 years. On the other hand, the policy term for the Bajaj Allianz Silver Health plan can be 1,2, or 3 years, and can be renewed for a lifetime.
Aditya Birla Activ Care
The Aditya Birla Activ Care is a comprehensive health plan that provides coverage for senior citizens. This plan includes coverage for over 586 daycare procedures, pre and post-hospitalisation expenses, and even offers discounts such as long-term discounts, family discounts, wellness discounts, and more.
Care Senior Citizen Plan
Another senior citizen plan that you can consider buying is the Care Senior Citizen plan. The minimum entry age for the Care Senior Citizen plan is 61 years and there is no limit on the maximum entry age. To buy this plan, there is no pre-medical check-up required. Furthermore, this plan provides coverage for annual check-ups, 540+ daycare procedures, and more.
Star Health Senior Citizens Red Carpet
The Star Health Senior Citizens Red Carpet offers flexibility to choose the sum insured ranging between Rs. 1 lakh - Rs. 25 lakhs. The minimum entry age for this plan is 65 years and the maximum entry age is 75 years. This senior citizen plan can be purchased as both a family and individual plan. Moreover, the policy term of the Star Health Senior Citizens Red Carpet is 1,2, or 3 years.
Niva Bupa Senior First Health Policy
The Niva Bupa Senior First Health Policy is available in gold and platinum variants. You can choose a sum insured between Rs. 5 lakhs to Rs. 25 lakhs and there is no medical check-up required to buy this plan. Some of the coverage offered under the Niva Bupa Senior First Health Policy include pre and post hospitalisation coverage, AYUSH treatment, organ donor expenses, day-care treatment, and more.
In addition to those listed above, there are a number of other senior citizen health insurance plans available. So, choose a relevant plan and get health insurance protection in the golden phase of your life.