World Asthma Day 2023: Why Get Health Insurance Coverage?
Published On May 02, 2023 10:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
Table of Contents
World Asthma Day 2023 is celebrated each year to raise awareness regarding asthma. The day is observed every year across the globe on May 2. This year's theme for World Asthma Day is “Asthma Care for All.” Read on to learn more about Asthma Day and why it is important to buy health insurance.
What is Asthma And What Causes It?
Asthma is the most common chronic illness impacting people of all ages. It is a non-communicable disease that happens due to inflammation and narrowing of the small airways in the lungs. Asthma generally occurs due to a combination of environmental and inherited factors. This may include:
- Common cold and other respiratory infections
- Airborne allergens such as pollen, mold spores, and other allergens.
- Physical activity
- Stress and other heavy emotions
- Preseravative food and beverages
- Air pollutants such as smoke, dust, and pollution.
Theme for World Asthma Day 2023
This year’s theme for World Asthma Day is “Asthma Care for All.” Highlighted below are some key points that you should know about the theme for World Asthma Day 2023.
- Ensure the availability of effective medication and treatment across each part of the globe.
- Strengthen associations with local and national guideline developers.
- Help people with asthma live a better quality of life.
Facts about World Asthma Day 2023
Here are some facts that you should know about World Asthma Day.
- The first World Health Day was launched by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) in 1998. The day was celebrated in more than 35 countries around the world.
- In 2008, May 2 was officially designated World Asthma Day to reach a wide audience and focus on the advancements in asthma research and treatment.
- The significance of World Asthma Day is to promote understanding about disease causes, diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and more.
- The Global Initiative for Asthma organizes World Asthma Day in collaboration with the World Health Organization and other healthcare professionals and organizations.
Why Purchase Health Insurance for Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic disease that can be controlled with proper medication. However, as per the statistics, 90% of asthma patients do not get access to the right treatment. The reason could be a lack of funds. This is why it is a must to get health insurance.
Health insurance is an insurance policy that provides financial protection against medical conditions. This means that medical costs arising due to Ashtma treatment will be covered by an insurance company. You don’t have to worry about paying hefty medical bills out of your own pocket. Another major reason to buy a health insurance policy is that, during medical emergencies, it will bring peace of mind to both you and your family.
How to Prevent Asthma Attacks?
You cannot prevent asthma with any particular method. However, below-mentioned are some actions that you can take to prevent asthma attacks.
- Flu and pneumonia can trigger asthma attacks. Therefore, ensure that you are vaccinated to combat these diseases.
- Outdoor pollutants and allergic substances can cause asthma attacks. So, find out the causes that worsen your asthma and take measures to avoid them.
- Monitor your health regularly. If you have any symptoms like coughing, wheezing, or shortness of breath, reach out to your medical practitioner immediately.
- Avoid missing your medicines. Take them regularly, as prescribed by your doctor.
In conclusion, asthma is a chronic disease that can be controlled through inhaled medications. To avoid paying hefty medical bills that burn a hole in your pocket, it is wise to purchase health insurance. Furthermore, if you have any asthma patients in your family, then celebrate World Asthma Day with them by comparing and purchasing the best health insurance plan.