Will My Health Insurance Cover The Cost of COVID-19 Vaccine?
Published On May 19, 2021 11:00 AM By InsuranceDekho
Table of Contents
- Will My Health Insurance Compensate For The COVID-19 Vaccine?
- Under What Circumstances Will My Health Insurance Policy Take Care of COVID-19 Vaccination Costs?
- How Much Does the COVID-19 Vaccine Cost?
- Do I Need To Register and Schedule an Appointment For The COVID-19 Vaccine Beforehand?
- How To Register For the COVID-19 Vaccine Online?
We have been battling against the COVID-19 virus for more than a year. Moreover, right now as the second wave rages over India the death toll has risen to unprecedented heights. The COVID-19 Vaccine in this situation is our only ray of hope. However, since the vaccination procedure is new to everyone, there are several unanswered questions. In this article, we will tackle the one involving the COVID-19 vaccine and your health insurance.
Will My Health Insurance Compensate For The COVID-19 Vaccine?
Since the cost of the vaccine falls into OPD expenses it is not covered by most health insurance policies including those geared towards COVID-19 only. However, it may be different in your case.
Under What Circumstances Will My Health Insurance Policy Take Care of COVID-19 Vaccination Costs?
In the following circumstances, your health insurance provider may cover the cost for COVID-19 vaccine -
1. When It Is Given As Part of Inpatient Hospitalization: If you are admitted to a hospital where you are given the vaccine as part of your inpatient hospitalization treatment the health insurance policy will cover the cost of the vaccine.
2. If Your Health Insurance Covers OPD Expenses: If you have opted for OPD expenses coverage in your health insurance policy, the costs of the COVID-19 Vaccine will be covered. However, keep in mind such health insurance policies have higher premiums and provide a limit for the expenses. Any amount higher than the limit will be an out-of-pocket expense.
How Much Does the COVID-19 Vaccine Cost?
If you visit a government hospital or vaccination centre, the COVID-19 vaccine will be administered to you free of cost. Whereas, for states and private hospitals, Covaxin is priced at Rs. 600 and Rs. 1,200 and Covishield is priced at Rs. 400 and Rs. 600 respectively.
Do I Need To Register and Schedule an Appointment For The COVID-19 Vaccine Beforehand?
It is best to register and schedule an appointment for the COVID-19 Vaccine beforehand using the CoWIN portal or the Aarogya Setu App.
How To Register For the COVID-19 Vaccine Online?
To register for the COVID-19 Vaccine online, use the CoWin portal or go through the Vaccination Registration option in the Aarogya Setu App. Next, enter your mobile number and provide the OTP for verification. Once entered you can provide the other details required and your Photo ID. Once this is done you can go on to scheduling your appointments from the available free slots. Keep in mind, there is a severe shortage of vaccines in the country. Hence, you may need to wait your turn before you receive a vaccination appointment.
Also Read: Whom Do I Contact In Case Of Side Effects From COVID-19 Vaccination?
Can A Person Get Covid-19 Vaccine Without Registering With The Health Department?
In a nutshell, the insurance company will not cover the cost of your vaccine unless you have OPD expenses covered or are given the vaccine as part of your treatment while you are hospitalized. There are no vaccination charges if you visit a government hospital. Moreover, the government has capped the price for COVID-19 Vaccination price for public hospitals and vaccination centres at Rs 250. Registration is compulsory but can be done before the vaccination process at certain centres.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.