Is it Worth Purchasing Term Insurance With Accidental Disability Rider?
Published On Jul 14, 2021 12:00 PM By InsuranceDekho
Table of Contents
Have you ever wondered what will happen if one day you face an accident which leaves you completely bedridden, disabled for life or a long time? You might have to lose your job, sit back at home, all this can be very painful. Nothing can reduce the pain of being crippled and a life changing accident but do you imagine how a financial crisis can add up to your adversities in such a situation. An Accidental Disability Rider can help you cope up with the losses and make you and your family live a normal life despite you being bedridden.
What Is An Accidental Disability Rider?
According to the Accidental Disability Rider, if an accident renders you partially or permanently disabled, this rider assists in substituting/replacing the income you may lose as a result of your disability. With this rider, you will get a percentage (pre-approved) of the insured money for a set period of time (five or ten years). This rider is typically supplied in conjunction with the accidental death rider.
This rider's policy term runs from 5 to 52 years, with maturity ages ranging from 23 to 70 years. You can make payments using options such as Single Pay, Regular Pay, and Limited Pay, but keep in mind that the frequency of these payments must correspond to your selections in the base plan. It is critical to remember that combined rider premiums should not exceed 30% of the basic plan cost. This rider provides a minimum Sum Assured of Rs. 1,000,000, with no upper restriction on the maximum Sum Assured value, subject to Reinsurance capacity. The maximum amount assured, however, cannot exceed the value of the foundation plan's principal amount.
Key Highlights Of The Accidental Disability Rider
- The minimum age to enrol yourself for this rider is 18 while the maximum age limit is 65.
- The policyholder is not obligated to pay additional rider and base plan premiums.
- You can add new members of your family to your rider as and when needed.
- The insured sum is transformed into equal monthly instalments for a period of ten years and paid to the policyholder on a monthly basis.
- As a standard policy, the death or maturity claim of the base plan is also paid.
- You are entitled to tax benefits upto INR 25,000 under the Income Tax Act’s Section 80D’s 10D.
Exclusions Under This Rider
The Accidental Disability Rider does not cover the Life Assured's death, incapacity, or dismemberment caused directly or indirectly by any of the following:
- Any illness or infection caused by a pandemic.
- Intentional self-harm, suicide or attempted suicide while being sane or crazy
- Under the influence of alcohol, narcotics, psychotropic substances, or medications, unless administered in compliance with the legitimate guidance and prescription of a trained and registered medical practitioner.
- Involvement in a war (declared or undeclared), military operations, invasion, civil unrest, riots, or revolution
- Participation in any flying activity other than as a legitimate passenger in a commercially licenced aircraft
- Any injury that occurred prior to the effective date of this rider
- Participation in dangerous activities, hobbies, or pastimes such as racing, parachuting, mountaineering, and so on.
- Any type of radiation or atomic energy explosion
Accidents are always uninvited and you never know which fine day would turn into the worst nightmare of your life if you meet an accident which leaves you disabled. Only proper treatment and care can cure the injuries caused by the mishap but an Accidental Disability Rider will make sure you don’t have to face financial issues throughout, therefore it is totally worth the investment.
You may also like to read:-
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.