How to Process Life Insurance Claims?
Published On Apr 23, 2021, Updated On Apr 23, 2021
Table of Contents
Life insurance provides the necessary financial assistance to the family and loved ones of the life assured in case of his/her unfortunate death. However, iIf the beneficiary is not aware of the claims process, they can end up wasting precious time, which may worsen the family's financial hardship. This is one of the key reasons that it is necessary to be aware of the claim settlement process in depth nominated under the life insurance plan.
How to Process Life Insurance Claims?
Life Insurance can be categorized into three classifications, i.e., Death Claims, Claims on maturity, and Rider Claims. In case of the untimely death of the insured, life insurance claim benefits are received by the nominee.
1. Death Claims
- Claim Initiation: The nominee/beneficiary should inform the insurance provider of the claim in writing as early as possible. Policy amount, insured's name, date of death, location of death, name of the claimant, etc. must be included in the information. The nominee/beneficiary can use the claim intimation form by contacting the insurance company's nearest branch or can download it from the insurance provider's official website.
- Filing of Documents: The next step in the insurance claim settlement process includes the filing of claim supporting documents**. In supporting the death claim, the nominee/beneficiary must submit documents** that the insurer has demanded. This is needed where, for natural or accidental causes, death has occurred. The claim assistance team will start reviewing the claim after obtaining all the necessary documents.
- Claim Processing: Within 30 days of receiving all documents submitted by the claimant/nominee/beneficiary, the insurer must resolve the claim. There may be a situation, though, where an insurer wants a further investigation. In this case, within 6 months from the date of receipt of the formal notification of the claim, the insurer shall conclude its procedures.
2. Maturity Claim
- Under this claim process, the insurer will make payment to the insured on the maturity date or policy term/tenure completion.
- The payable amount comprises the sum assured in addition to any incentives/bonus. To avail of this benefit, the insured is reached in advance by the insurer with a “bank discharge” form.
- The insured must fill in the form details together with the related documents and send them back to the bank.
3. Rider Claims
- Riders are add-ons offered by the insurer by paying an additional premium with the basic life insurance plan. It is possible to attach a life insurance policy to multiple riders such as Accidental coverage, critical ailments/illnesses coverage, Premium Waiver rider, etc. Different riders are settled by different methods under the rider claim process.
- Some riders are settled following the death claim settlement process while other rider claims are settled by submitting relevant documents together with the policy copy and duly filled claim form
Documents Needed for the Life Insurance Claim Processes
Following is the list of documents required for life insurance claim process:
- Duly completed and signed “claim form”
- Original life insurance policy certificate
- Local authority issued death certificate (of the insured)
- Post-mortem report/-FIR copy
- KYC Documents (address and photo id proof of the nominee/beneficiary)
- Cancelled cheque copy and bank statement
- Age of the insured/birth certificate
When it comes to protecting your future needs, Life Insurance is regarded as one of the safest decisions. It must be remembered that when the claims are being settled, the claimant must carefully read the terms and conditions and request all the necessary paperwork needed for the claims to be resolved. Failing to do so would result in a delayed settlement of lawsuits.
You may also like to read: