How to Get Duplicate Registration Certificate (RC) of a Car?
Published On Mar 26, 2021
Lost your RC and requires a duplicate RC book? Learn the step by step process to apply for the RC book.
Table of Contents
The Registration Certificate (RC) is an official document that denotes that your car is registered with your state Regional Transport Office (RTO). It is a necessary document to be compulsorily carried while driving just like the driving licence. The RC is available in the form of a book and car which are known as RC book or RC card, which holds all the information about your car such as vehicle colour, engine number, seating capacity, chassis number, date of registration, number of registration, type of vehicle, model number of the vehicle, etc. Being a mandatory document to own, it is important for every car owner to know the process to get its duplicate copy in case it gets stolen or lost.
Steps to Apply for a Duplicate RC Book
When it comes to making an application for a duplicate Registration Certificate (RC) book, you can easily apply for it online via the Parivahan Sewa website as well as offline by visiting your local RTO office. Here are the simple steps which you need to follow to apply for a duplicate RC book:
- File a police complaint to issue a challan stating that your RC card has been lost.
- Draft an application for a duplicate copy of the RC book in the specific form, i.e. Form 26, which you can download in the PDF format from the RTO website.
- If the car is on loan, you should get a NOC from your financier such as a bank or any financial institution.
- Prepare an affidavit carrying all the details of your car and the reason for applying for a duplicate RC application.
- You may also have to attach some documents with the filled Form-26, which you should submit to an RTO office for verification.
- After the successful verification, your application file will have to be duly signed by the RTO officer.
- To confirm your identity, you should visit the assistant RTO and pay the service fee online
- After paying the required service fee, the cashier will give your the receipt for the same
- You should take the receipt to the superintendent's office to get his or her signature on it
- Collect the acknowledgement slip from the superintendent on which the date will be mentioned when you will get the duplicate copy of RC.
Documents Required for Vehicle Registration
If you have lost your Registration Certificate (RC) of your car or it gets stolen, in such a situation, you must apply for a duplicate copy for the RC book to continue to drive your car. To apply for the duplicate copy, you need to have the below-given documents:
- The application form
- Passport-sized photograph
- Copy of emission test paper
- Your address and identity proof
- Invoice of the vehicle purchase
- RC card lost challan received from the police station
- A copy of your car insurance and a copy of the driving license
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the bank, if the vehicle is on loan.
Driving a car without a Registration Certificate (RC) is a legal offence in India. Hence, it is recommended to apply for a duplicate RC book, if your RC is lost or stolen. In this article, we have tried to help you find the process and documents required to get a duplicate RC book. We hope that the above-mentioned details will solve all your duplicate RC book-related queries.
Disclaimer: This article is issued in the general public interest and meant for general information purposes only. Readers are advised not to rely on the contents of the article as conclusive in nature and should research further or consult an expert in this regard.