10 Tips For Riding In Congested Areas
Published On May 04, 2022, Updated On May 05, 2022
Here are some tips that will help you manage your bike riding experience on a congested roadway
The key reason for traffic congestion is that everyone has to travel at the same time every day. This is because schools, colleges and offices open almost around the same time. Because it is impossible to totally get rid of traffic congestion, here are 10 tips to curb the effects of traffic congestion in daily life.
10 Tips To Ride In Congested Roads
The following tips will help you manage your bike riding experience on a congested roadway:
- Always keep an eye on the activities of pedestrians and other vehicles to avoid unforeseen accidents. Remember - roads are filled with idiots. So, it is advised to stay alert and both eyes open without losing your grip on the clutch.
- If you wish to overtake a slower vehicle, make sure to be on the left side always and never obstruct the road divider. Overtaking should be done with expertise.
- Check for traffic lights and do not stay in front of the queue if there are faster vehicles behind you. Even if there are no traffic lights, always follow the traffic policeman’s directions, to avoid congestion.
- Exploring around the city for fresh air is a good idea but congestion can happen anywhere. Riding through new places can lead to confusion and you might not be ready for the unexpected turns and its traffic. Keeping a regular route is recommended.
- Overspeeding on a congestion prone road is highly dangerous. Most bike accidents happen due to the same reason. You will never know what obstacles or new vehicles you might face on the road, so do not ride too fast.
- It is very important to be heard and seen properly on the roads by other vehicles to coordinate your moves. If you drive too close to the divider or stay hidden behind a bigger vehicle, chances are that you would have to face traffic or in worst cases, an accident. Make sure you have a fully functional horn and a bright enough headlight for the night to stay noticed by other drivers and riders.
- Handling a bike with higher gears becomes difficult, so keep the gears low.
- Always keep your bike in a neat condition to avoid unforeseen breakdowns in the middle of the road.
- Maintain distance from other vehicles to avoid accidents.
- It is very important to abide by road rules and traffic safety rules while out for a ride.
It is impossible to avoid traffic, especially during office opening and closing times on a regular basis. There are also instances of intense traffic congestion during festivals, processions, accidents or even extreme weather conditions, like heavy rain or thunderstorms. It is your individual responsibility to maintain your own safety on the roads and try your best to avoid getting into congested roadways.