Detailed Guide on Pension Payment Order in EPF
Published On Mar 13, 2023 10:05 AM By InsuranceDekho
Table of Contents
Retirement is the golden phase of our lives. We tend to take a break from work and spend time with our loved ones. However, retirement can often cause financial stress if it is not planned properly. Consequently, regular income in the form of monthly pensions will guarantee that you have a stress-free retirement.
The Employee Pension Scheme (EPS), which comes under the Employee Provident Fund (EPF), is one of the most active pension schemes that provide financial support to individuals during their golden years of life. Both the employee and employer make contributions to the EPS. Generally, both the employee and the employer contribute 10% of the basic salary and the dearness allowance every month to the provident fund. However, 8.67% is contributed towards EPS and the remaining percentage of the total contributions of 27% is allocated towards the EPF scheme.
When talking about EPS, the most commonly used term is “Payment Pension Order.” Read on to know more about it in detail!
What is PPO Number in Employee Pension Scheme?
PPO number which is an abbreviation of Pension Payment Order refers to a unique 12-digit number that is assigned to each pensioner under the Employee Provident Fund. It acts as a reference number used for smooth transactions under the Employee Pension Scheme.
A 12-digit PPO number is classified into four categories that are mentioned in the section below.
- The first 5 digits of the PPO number act as a code number of the PPO issuing authority.
- Another 2 digits indicate the issue year.
- The next 4 digits represent the sequential number of the PPO.
- And the last digit acts as a digital checklist.
Importance of PPO Number in Employee Pension Scheme
Listed below are some key benefits of PPO numbers in the Employee Pension Scheme.
- Through PPO numbers, pensioners can receive and monitor their pension easily.
- The Pension Payment Order may be useful at the time of submission of complaints to the Employee Provident Fund Organization.
- In order to submit your annual life certificate, it is mandatory to know your PPO number. If you fail to submit a life certificate, then your pension payout may be paused.
- You will need a PPO number if you want your pension in your new bank account.
Process To Check PPO Number
If you’re registered under the Employee Provident Fund scheme but don’t know your PPO number, then you can find it by following the below steps.
- Browse the official website of EPFO.
- Under “Online Services” available on the home page, click on the “Pensioner Portal.”
- Click the “Know your PPO number” tab.
- Enter your bank account number or employee provident fund account number.
- Once you’ve completed these steps, the PPO number will be displayed on the screen.
In conclusion, a PPO number is a mandatory requirement under the Employee Pension Scheme. EPS was introduced in 1995 to provide financial security to salaried individuals post-retirement. Through this scheme, the employees receive a regular monthly pension during their retirement.