Bike insurance, also known as two-wheeler insurance, is a contract signed between the bike owner and the insurer whereby the latter promises to cover damage to the bike due to an accident, theft, or collision. Bike insurance provides coverage for all kinds of two-wheelers ranging from scooter to motorcycle to scooty.
Bike Insurance Key Features
Bike insurance starting premium
Third-party Bike Insurance
Mandatory by government
Up to 50%
Comprehensive bike insurance
Own-damage + third-party
Claim Settlement Process
Buying / Renewal Process
Policy Buy Time
In 5 mins
- No Inspection Needed
- Immediate Policy Issurance
- No Inspection Needed
- Immediate Policy Issurance
Calculate Your Bike Insurance Premium Online
Select your Two wheeler brand
Which city is your Two wheeler registered in?
When did you buy your Two wheeler?
What is two wheeler insurance?
Two wheeler insurance, also known as bike insurance, is an agreement between the insurance company and the bike owner wherein the insurer covers the cost of damages caused to a third party and in some cases even the bike owner and his bike. A two wheeler insurance policy protects the bike owner against unforeseen events such as theft, natural disasters, man made calamities and even damages caused to third person or property. As per the motor vehicles act, 1988, it is mandatory for every vehicle owner to purchase a third party insurance to get protection against death, disability or damages caused to third person or property. Buying comprehensive two wheeler insurance is a matter of choice depending on the requirements of the bike owner.
Different Types of Bike Insurance
Comprehensive Bike Insurance
A comprehensive two-wheeler policy gives complete coverage by paying your financial liabilities that you may incur towards a third party and by providing compensation for expenses arising due to own-damages sustained by your bike. This policy shields your bike against damages it sustains due to an accident, fire, theft, man-made disasters, natural calamities, self-ignition, explosion, and so on. You can also enhance its coverage by paying an additional premium to purchase add-on covers like zero depreciation cover, roadside assistance cover, engine cover, etc.
Third Party Bike Insurance
In India, a third-party two-wheeler insurance plan is a compulsory requirement to ride a bike. It is also known as liability-only policy which covers bodily injuries, temporary or permanent disability, and death of the third party person due to an accident or a mishap with the involvement of the insured’s bike. This motorcycle or scooter insurance policy also covers the property damage expenses sustained by the third party up to Rs. 1 Lakh, but does not cover damages incurred by the insured’s bike or the insured person.
Own-Damage Bike Insurance
The standalone own-damage two-wheeler insurance policy gives coverage for the own-damages sustained by the insured bike due to an accident, theft, fire, natural disaster and man-made calamity. A standalone own-damage policy provides flexibility to policyholders for choosing an insurance company of their choice. The policyholders can buy a third-party policy and own-damage policy either from the same insurer or a different one. An insured individual can expand the coverage of a own-damage insurance policy by buying add-on covers.
How to Choose Two Wheeler Insurance Policy?
Buying a two wheeler insurance policy needs thorough research. In order to select the most suitable two wheeler insurance policy, you should evaluate your requirements and compare several two wheeler insurance plans online. Here are some tips that can help you choose a two wheeler insurance policy according to your requirements and budget:
1. Know Your Coverage Requirements - Assess your requirements and budget so that you can choose between different types of two wheeler insurance plans that suit you the best. When assessing your requirements, you must consider different factors such as usage of your two wheeler, your expenditure, liabilities, etc.
2. Choose Add-ons Wisely - Add-on covers help you to enhance the coverage of your two wheeler insurance policy. You can opt for an add-on cover for your two wheeler insurance policy in exchange of extra premium. Common add-on covers in two wheeler insurance are zero depreciation cover, personal accident cover for pillion riders, and towing cover.
3. Choose a Reliable Insurance Company - Checking the claim settlement ratio is of utmost importance when choosing a trustworthy two wheeler insurance company online. It ensures that the claim settlement is hassle-free.
4. Compare Two Wheeler Insurance Plans Online - It is important to compare different two wheeler insurance policies online in order to make the best buying decision. You can compare different plans on the basis of inclusions, exclusions, premiums, etc.
5. Read Online Reviews - Reading reviews online of verified customers who have bought two wheeler insurance policies will help you decide if you are going for the right two wheeler insurance policy or not. Therefore, it is recommended to read positive as well as negative comments online so that you can decide what is best for you.
Key highlights of Bike Insurance
Types of bike insurance
You can insure your bike with various types of bike insurance; it protects the vehicle owner in below situations.
Comprehensive bike insurance: This type of bike insurance provides coverage against third party liability and own damages. It covers the bike owner against damages caused due to theft, natural or man made calamities and even third party.
Third party bike insurance: This type of insurance is mandatory as per the law, providing you with coverage against third party liability. This type of cover provides protection against death, disability or bodily injury caused to third person; it also covers property damages. Buying third party two wheeler insurance does not cover damages caused to your own bike.
Standalone own damage bike insurance: As the name suggests, this type of insurance offers you coverage for damages caused due to theft, natural or man made calamities; it does not provide coverage against third party liabilities.
Importance of bike insurance/ Why do you need two wheeler insurance?
Having a two wheeler insurance policy can help you in different situations, thus ensuring that you don’t have to pay for any legal or financial liabilities out of your pocket. Apart from this, two wheeler insurance can be beneficial in the below ways.
Abide with the law
Buying third party insurance cover is mandatory as per the law. Every bike plying on Indian roads has to have a valid third party cover. Not buying this type of cover attracts a penalty up to Rs. 2,000 or even imprisonment in some cases. It is vital to buy or renew bike insurance on time to ensure you comply with the law.
Coverage against financial loss
Damages caused to your bike due to natural or man made calamities or any unforeseen accident can increase your financial burden. Thus, with comprehensive insurance cover you can stay protected against financial obligations.
Coverage against man made and natural disasters
In the event of a natural or man made disaster such as flood, cyclone, storm, fire, terrorism, etc. bike insurance can be of great help as it offers you coverage against damages caused due to such disasters.
Coverage for bike theft
In case your bike is stolen then an insurance policy will compensate you as per the policy terms and conditions. To claim for bike theft, obtaining a non traceable certificate from the police is mandatory.
Personal accident cover
Buying personal accident cover which protects the owner/driver against death, disability or bodily injury is mandatory. As per the law, it is compulsory for every bike owner to get personal accident cover up to Rs. 15 lakh.
Third party insurance vs comprehensive bike insurance
Comprehensive bike insurance
Third party bike insurance
As the name suggests, coverage offered under this type of insurance is comprehensive, covering both third party as well as own damage liablities
This is a basic two wheeler insurance cover that provides coverage against legal and financial liabilities arising out of third-party damages.
This type of insurance is not a mandatory requirement as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
Buying third party bike insurance is mandatory as per the law
Covers damages caused to the bike due to theft, natural and man made calamities.
Does not provide coverage for damages caused to your bike, but only covers damages, death or bodily injury caused to third party or property
Compared to third party insurance, comprehensive two wheeler insurance is expensive as the covered offered is wide
Insurance premium for third party is decided by IRDA and is affordable in comparison to comprehensive bike insurance cover
Bike insurance add ons
Coverage can be enhanced by opting for various bike insurance add-ons such as zero depreciation cover, engine protection, key assistance, etc
Add-ons cannot be purchased with this type of insurance
Does not provide coverage for damages caused when driving under influence of alcohol, racing, regular wear and tear, etc.
Does not provide coverage for damages caused to your own bike
Tips to reduce bike insurance premium
You can smartly reduce your bike insurance premium without missing out on availing comprehensive coverage for your bike. Here are tips to reduce two wheeler insurance premium.
Avoid making minor claims: No claim bonus is the discount you can claim at the time of policy renewal, This discount goes up to 50% for five claim free years. If the claim amount is lower than the total NCB discount you have accumulated then it is best to not register the claim.
Claim your NCB discount: At the time of two wheeler insurance renewal online or offline, ensure that you claim the NCB discount.
Install anti-theft devices: To reduce the chances of vehicle theft and even the risk component from the insurer’s end, installation of anti theft devices approved by Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) will help you get a discount on premium.
Become a member of Authorized Riding/Automobile Groups in India: Being a part of the riding groups identified by IRDA can help you avail low two wheeler insurance premium
Opt for a higher voluntary deductible: Deductible refers to a portion of the claim amount that you are required to pay out of pocket. On selecting a higher deductible, the company’s liability decreases which leads to decrease in premium too.
Benefits of Buying A Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
Two wheeler insurance is not a one-time job, it requires timely renewal. In case you are not able to renew your policy on time, your two wheeler insurance policy will lapse and will become invalid. You will not be able to claim any coverage benefits under the lapsed two wheeler insurance policy until you get it renewed. Below mentioned are some benefits renewing two wheeler insurance policy online:
Unbiased Opinion - When you buy or renew a two-wheeler insurance policy online, there is no involvement of any agent which eliminates the influence of any kind. You get to choose from the most suitable two wheeler insurance plans as per your requirements and budget, without any persuasion.
Easy to Compare Different Plans Online - Purchasing or renewing two wheeler insurance plans online helps you to compare different two wheeler insurance plans in terms of features, inclusions and exclusions. This helps you to know which plan is most suitable according to your requirements and helps in making an informed decision.
Convenience - There is no more convenient way to renew your two wheeler insurance policy than doing it online. You can easily renew your two wheeler insurance policy online from the comfort of your own home. Renewing your two wheeler insurance saves the time and requires less paperwork.
Direct Transaction With The Company - When buying two insurance plans online, you can avoid paying an extra fee to the insurance broker or agent. In case of any difficulty, you can get in touch with the customer care executives of the insurance company and get your queries solved.
Payment Security - Renewing two wheeler insurance plans online allows you to pay premiums via a secured payment gateway. There are flexible modes of premium payment allowed, from which you can choose as per your own convenience. These are Debit cards, Credit cards, and e-wallets.
Explore Two Wheeler Insurance
Top Bike Insurance Companies in India 2023
Here’s the list of the best bike insurance companies as per the claim settlement ratio (CSR) registered by them with IBAI in the financial year 2019-2020.
|Rank||Companies||Network Garages||Claim Settlement Ratio|
|1||Bajaj Allianz General Insurance||4,000+||88.83% in FY20|
|2||Bharti Axa General Insurance||5,200+||87.99% in FY20|
|3||Hdfc Ergo General Insurance||6,800+||91.23% in FY20|
|4||Icici Lombard General Insurance||8,800+||87.71% in FY20|
|5||Iffco Tokio General Insurance||4,300+||95.30% in FY20|
|6||Kotak General Insurance||1,300+||82.81% in FY20|
|7||National General Insurance||3,100+||85.71% in FY20|
|8||New India General Insurance||3,000+||89.60% in FY20|
|9||Reliance General Insurance||6,200+||84.26% in FY20|
|10||Sbi General Insurance||16,000+||89.51% in FY20|
|11||United India General Insurance||3,100+||82.93% in FY20|
|12||Universal Sompo General Insurance||3,500+||90.78% in FY20|
How To Buy Two Wheeler Insurance Online
With InsuranceDekho, you can buy motorcycle / scooter insurance very easily and quickly. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to get the best two wheeler insurance plan.
- Enter Your Bike Details
Fill up your two wheeler details like make, model, fuel type, etc., to find the top bike insurance policy quotes offered by different insurance companies based on your specifications.
- Compare Bike Insurance Policy Quotes
From all the available plan options, pick the bike insurance policy which meets your requirements and budgets in the best possible manner.
- Pay for the Policy Online
Pay the premium price of the chosen two wheeler insurance policy online. After paying the premium, you will instantly receive your bike insurance document in your email inbox.
Benefits of Two Wheeler Insurance Renewal Online
Following are the benefits of buying bike insurance renewal online :
- Unbiased Opinion - When you buy or renew a two-wheeler insurance policy online, there is no involvement of any agent which eliminates the influence of any kind. You get to choose from the most suitable motorcycle or scooter insurance plans as per the information provided by you, without any persuasion.
- Easy to Compare Different Plans Online - Buying or renewing bike insurance plans online allows you to compare different bike insurance plans in terms of features, inclusions, and exclusions. This helps you know the pros and cons of every policy and premium rates of different similar plans so that you are able to make an informed buying decision.
- Convenience - There is no more convenient way to buy or renew a two wheeler insurance policy than doing it online. You can choose the most suitable policy by going through different options in the comfort of your house. Also, you can buy a policy from any part of India, at any time. Renewing a bike insurance policy takes just a few minutes when done online.
- Direct Transaction With The Company - When buying bike insurance plans online, you can avoid paying an extra fee to the insurance broker or agent. In case of any difficulty, you can get in touch with the customer care executives of the insurance company and get your queries solved.
- Payment Security - Buying or renewing two wheeler insurance plans online allows you to pay premiums via a secured payment gateway. There are flexible modes of premium payment allowed, from which you can choose as per your own convenience. These are Debit cards, Credit cards, and e-wallets.
- Least Documentation - When buying a bike insurance policy online, you do not require to undergo a lot of paperwork. There is no need to submit photocopies of documents. All you need to do is fill in quotes online, compare different plans online, and shortlist the most suitable policy online.
Why Choose InsuranceDekho for Bike Insurance Online?
- Bike Insurance in Just 5 Minutes*
We issue your bike insurance in just 5 minutes with our simple, swift and paperless process.
- Over 45 Lakh Happy Customers
InsuranceDekho is a preferred choice of every insurance seeker. With our quick process, top-rated insurance plans, and committed customer care staff, we have managed to get the love and support of over 45 Lakh satisfied customers till now.
- 7 Days Dedicated Customer Support
We have a dedicated customer support team which is available at your service everyday. You can reach out to our support staff for any insurance related assistance be it related to policy purchase or claim settlement, we are always there to assist you.
Bike Insurance Coverage
- What is Covered?
- What is not Covered?
- Third-Party Injuries
All the types of bodily injuries suffered by a third-party due to your bike will be covered.
- Third Party Disability
If your bike causes disability to a third-party in an accident, then the coverage for the same shall be provided.
- Third Party Death
Compensation will be offered if your bike causes an accident that results in an unfortunate death of a third party.
- Third-Party Property Damage
Coverage of up to Rs. 1 Lakh is provided for damages caused to a third-party’s property due to your bike.
Coverage is offered for all types of damages incurred by your bike in accidents or collisions.
- Natural Calamities
Damages incurred by your bike due to natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, cyclones, etc are covered.
- Man-made Disasters
Damages sustained by your bike due to man-made disasters such as riots, terrorism, vandalism, etc, is covered.
- Fire or Explosion
Damages incurred by your bike in a fire and explosion shall be covered.
Loss of your bike due to theft is covered under bike insurance.
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and Drug
Claims for incidents when the insured was driving under the influence of alcohol are not admissible.
- Driving Without Valid Driver’s License
No coverage is offered if the insured was driving without a valid driver’s license.
- Wear and Tear or Depreciation
A standard bike insurance policy will not cover the cost of depreciation of your bike and its parts.
No coverage is offered for engine oil, brake oil, air conditioner refrigerant, nuts, bolts, screws, grease, and other consumables of the bike.
- Electrical or Mechanical Breakdown
If your bike suffers any mechanical or electrical breakdown, then it will not be covered.
- Damage in War or Nuclear Attack
If your bike sustains damages due to war or nuclear activity or attack, then no coverage will be provided.
- Damage to Tyre or Tubes
Damages sustained by the tyres and tubes of your bike will not be covered, except in case of accidents.
- Damage Caused Outside Geographical Boundaries
No compensation will be provided for damages sustained outside the geographical limits specified in the policy.
Partner Bike Insurance Companies
Two Wheeler Insurance Add-ons
- Zero Depreciation Cover
Popularly known as nil depreciation or bumper to bumper insurance, zero depreciation add on does not factor in the depreciation value at the time of claim and the insurer pays out the full amount.
- Return To Invoice Cover
In case of total loss or theft of the bike, you can claim only up to the insured declared value of the bike. With return to invoice cover, you can claim for the full cost of the bike including road taxes and registration costs mentioned in the invoice.
- No claim bonus
NCB is the discount offered to you on making no claim in one policy year. With no claim bonus protection add on, you can retain the NCB even after making the claim. NCB discount ranges from 20-50% for five consecutive claim free years.
- Engine Protection Cover
The standard bike insurance policy provides coverage for the damage incurred by your bike’s engine only during an accident but does not offer coverage for damage sustained by the engine due to water ingression or oil leakage. However, if you include engine protection cover in your policy, then, you become eligible to get coverage for the damages sustained by the engine of your bike due to water ingression and oil leakage as well.
- Emergency assistance cover
In case you are stuck on the highway and require quick assistance then with this add on, you get access to services such as on-site repair in case of minor damages, battery jump start, key assistance, etc. Few insurers also cover towing charges.
- Consumables Cover
A regular comprehensive policy does not provide coverage for the costs of consumables such as screw, break oil, engine oil, etc. A consumable add on provides coverage for such expenses at the time of claim.
- Tyre Protection Cover
By default, a standard two-wheeler insurance plan does not cover damage caused to your bike tyres due to tyre burst, sidewall bulging, or flattening, etc. However, by opting for a tyre protection cover, you can get required coverage for the replacement cost of a damaged tyre which also includes the labour cost incurred for removing, refitting, and balancing the wheel. This add-on helps you save a good sum of money.
Why Should You Buy A Comprehensive Bike Insurance Policy?
Following are the reasons why you should buy a comprehensive two-wheeler insurance policy:
1. Cover for Third-Party Liability - A comprehensive bike insurance policy covers you for third-party liabilities.
2. Own Damage Cover - A comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy covers you for expenses arising due to damage or loss to your bike.
3. Cashless Repairs - You can avail of cashless repairs at any network garage across India with a comprehensive bike insurance policy.
4. Add-on Covers - Comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy comes with different add-on benefits like a return to invoice cover, consumables cover, zero depreciation cover, engine and gear protection cover, breakdown assistance cover, and zero depreciation cover. You can buy these add-ons by paying an extra premium at the time of policy purchase. These add-ons are not essential to buy but are preferred to enhance coverage.
5. No Claim Bonus - A bike insurance policy provides you with No-Claim Bonus for every year a claim is not made, between 20%-50%, for a consecutive 5 years.
Two Wheeler Insurance By Popular Manufacturers
Find Right Bike Insurance Quotes by Body Type
Hero Splendor Plus Insurance PriceView Hero Splendor Plus Insurance Price
Honda SP 125 Insurance PriceView Honda SP 125 Insurance Price
Bajaj Pulsar 125 Insurance PriceView Bajaj Pulsar 125 Insurance Price
Honda Shine Insurance PriceView Honda Shine Insurance Price
Bajaj Pulsar 150 Insurance PriceView Bajaj Pulsar 150 Insurance Price
Hero HF Deluxe Insurance PriceView Hero HF Deluxe Insurance Price
Hero Super Splendor Insurance PriceView Hero Super Splendor Insurance Price
Hero Passion Pro Insurance PriceView Hero Passion Pro Insurance Price
Honda Activa 6G Insurance PriceView Honda Activa 6G Insurance Price
TVS NTORQ 125 Insurance PriceView TVS NTORQ 125 Insurance Price
Honda Dio Insurance PriceView Honda Dio Insurance Price
TVS Jupiter Insurance PriceView TVS Jupiter Insurance Price
Simple One Insurance PriceView Simple One Insurance Price
Suzuki Access 125 Insurance PriceView Suzuki Access 125 Insurance Price
Suzuki Burgman Street Insurance PriceView Suzuki Burgman Street Insurance Price
Ather 450X Insurance PriceView Ather 450X Insurance Price
Yamaha MT 15 V2 Insurance PriceView Yamaha MT 15 V2 Insurance Price
Yamaha R15 V4 Insurance PriceView Yamaha R15 V4 Insurance Price
TVS Raider Insurance PriceView TVS Raider Insurance Price
Bajaj Pulsar NS200 Insurance PriceView Bajaj Pulsar NS200 Insurance Price
TVS Apache RTR 160 Insurance PriceView TVS Apache RTR 160 Insurance Price
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Insurance PriceView Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Insurance Price
Yamaha R15S Insurance PriceView Yamaha R15S Insurance Price
Bajaj Pulsar N160 Insurance PriceView Bajaj Pulsar N160 Insurance Price
Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Insurance PriceView Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Insurance Price
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Insurance PriceView Royal Enfield Classic 350 Insurance Price
Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Insurance PriceView Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Insurance Price
TVS Ronin Insurance PriceView TVS Ronin Insurance Price
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Insurance PriceView Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Insurance Price
Honda H'ness CB350 Insurance PriceView Honda H'ness CB350 Insurance Price
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Insurance PriceView Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Insurance Price
Benelli Leoncino 800 Insurance PriceView Benelli Leoncino 800 Insurance Price
Customer's Speak7452 Reviews
- Efficient Policy Documentation ProcessThe documentation process while buying the Edelweiss Bike Insurance Policy for my Vespa from InsuarnceDekho was smooth...Read MoreEdelweiss bike InsuranceBy Arshan KhanOn:30th May, 2023
- Multiple Payment Options for PremiumsInsuarnceDekho offers multiple payment options for premiums, providing flexibility and convenience for any plan that y...Read MoreBajaj Allianz bike InsuranceBy Mandeep KulkarniOn:30th May, 2023
- Transferrable no-claim bonusI got to know about the transferrable No Claim Bonus (NCB) at the InsuarnceDekho website. It means that if I decide to...Read MoreIffco Tokio bike InsuranceBy Kishor BanerjeeOn:30th May, 2023
- Competitive Premium RatesCompared to other insurance policies in the market, the Future Generali Bike Insurance Policy offers highly competitiv...Read MoreFuture Generali bike InsuranceBy Jayant KumarOn:30th May, 2023
- Flexible Add-On OptionsWhat I love about the Kotak Bike Insurance Policy is the range of flexible add-on options available. I could customize...Read MoreKotak bike InsuranceBy Himanshu JhaOn:30th May, 2023
- Convenience and User-Friendly ExperienceInsuranceDekho has so many plans one can choose from. The Royal Sundaram Bike Insurance Policy comes with a convenient...Read MoreRoyal Sundaram bike InsuranceBy Guneet AroraOn:30th May, 2023
- Flexible option with great valueThe New India Bike Insurance Policy stood out to me for its flexible options and excellent value for money. The policy...Read MoreNew India bike InsuranceBy Gaurav KandalOn:30th May, 2023
- Affordable RatesWhen I was searching for a good insurance policy for my Honda bike, I came across the InsuarnceDekho website. There we...Read MoreUnited India bike InsuranceBy Bhavin MakwanaOn:30th May, 2023
- Streamlined online experienceInsuarnceDekho provides a seamless and user-friendly online platform for bike insurance. From getting a quote to purch...Read MoreDigit bike InsuranceBy Manoj MistriOn:29th May, 2023
- Seamless No-Claim Bonus SystemI am impressed by the seamless no-claim bonus system offered by Reliance Bike Insurance Policy. I bought this policy 2...Read MoreReliance bike InsuranceBy Sanjay Joshi On:29th May, 2023
How to Calculate Bike Insurance Premium?
Calculating bike insurance premiums online is very easy with a premium calculator. It is a free tool that not only allows you to compute the premium of a bike insurance policy, as well as compare benefits. Though premium is not the sole factor on which you must choose a bike insurance policy, calculating it in advance allows you to manage funds for the future.
To calculate bike insurance premium online, you must navigate to the bike insurance premium calculator page, provide important details like manufacturer, sum insured, make, model, variant, date of registration, product type, add-on covers, etc. and click on ‘View Quotes’. Quotes will be generated instantly.
Following are the benefits of using a bike insurance premium calculator:
- Helps you make the right buying decision
- Allows you to customize your bike insurance policy and see the premium change
- Makes it easier to compare different bike insurance plans online
Two Wheeler Insurance Renewal Online Process
For bike insurance renewal online, you must follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Visit InsuranceDekho. Then click on the Bike tab.
Step 2: Enter your bike’s Registration Number. Then click on ‘Proceed’. Choose your bike’s variant and fuel type and continue.
Step 3: Share the expiry date of your previous insurance company as well as the name of your two wheeler insurance company. Next, you will be required to tell if you have raised any claim in the previous policy term or not. Then click on ‘Continue’.
Step 4: Fill in your name and mobile number and the policy term. Then click on the ‘Submit and Get Quotes’ link.
Step 5: You will see different suitable quotes displayed on your screen. From them, you can compare and choose the right one for yourself according to your requirements. You can also include add-ons under your policy by paying an extra premium and enjoy enhanced coverage.
Step 6: Click on the ‘Buy Now. Check your details, and pay the premium online. You will receive the policy document on your registered Email ID.
Why Should You Renew An Expired Two Wheeler Insurance Policy?
While it is compulsory for a two wheeler owner to carry bike insurance policy documents with themselves all the time, a motorcycle or scooter insurance plan also provides coverage to the policyholder against financial losses against theft, loss, damages, and also provides the needed coverage towards any injuries or damages sustained by a third party vehicle or a third party property.
A two-wheeler insurance plan also includes accident cover for the owner or driver of the insured two-wheeler. It is not only compulsory to have a two-wheeler insurance plan but it offers the policyholder coverage against financial liabilities incurred by them. Therefore, it is crucial for two-wheeler owners to get their two-wheeler insurance plan renewed before its expiry date. This is because a lapsed two-wheeler insurance policy would not offer any financial coverage for the above-mentioned liabilities incurred by the insured individual.
In case, the bike owner gets caught riding their bike without an active two-wheeler insurance plan, then a fine of up to Rs. 1,000 or imprisonment of up to three months or both can be imposed by the enforcement agency as per the Indian Motor Tariff Act. Moreover, other than facing legal liabilities, a policyholder would also lose the accumulated benefits in the form of NCB or No Claim Bonus in the event of failing to get their two wheeler insurance renewal on time. It is also a time-consuming process to reinstate a lapsed two-wheeler insurance plan.
Factors That Affect Bike Insurance Price For Two Wheelers
The bike insurance premium price is decided by the insurance companies on the basis of several factors. Some of these factors are mentioned below:
1. Type of Coverage - There are different types of two-wheeler insurance policies in India, namely third-party bike insurance policy, standalone own-damage bike insurance policy, and comprehensive bike insurance policy, the premiums price of which differ from each other. As a comprehensive bike insurance policy offers greater coverage, hence its premium is higher than the other two types of policies. But lower premiums should not be the only factor to decide if you should buy a bike insurance policy or not. It is recommended to buy a comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy as it comes with greater benefits.
2. Type of Two Wheeler & Its Price - As the prices of different motorcycle or scooter are different, so are the insurance premiums for them. One of the factors that insurance companies consider when deciding the bike insurance premium is the cubic capacity of the bike. Higher the capacity of the engine, higher premiums you will be required to pay for your two wheeler insurance policy.
3. Modifications of Two Wheeler - There are a number of two wheeler enthusiasts who consider modifications to improve the looks of their bikes to enhance their performance. In case your bike is modified, then you will be required to pay a higher premium if you want to get coverage for the modifications as well.
4. Particulars of the Rider - The premium of your bike insurance policy is also based on your age, riding history, gender, etc. For example, if you are aged 35 years and have a riding experience of more than a decade, then you will be charged a lesser premium than someone who is aged 20 years. This is because the person aged 20 years will be at a higher risk for the insurance company.
5. Add-on Covers - Add-on covers offer you greater coverage and hence you are required to pay a higher premium for a two wheeler insurance policy if you include add-ons under them. It is not mandatory to buy add-on covers but are highly recommended for greater coverage. Common add ons that you can add to your bike insurance policy include zero depreciation cover, return to invoice, roadside assistance, etc.
6. Anti-Theft Devices - Anti-theft devices offer protection to your two wheeler thereby reducing the chances of any loss. As it reduces the insurance company’s liability, hence, you will be required to pay a lesser premium in case you have any ARAI approved anti-theft device installed on your motorcycle or scooter. Hence, it is recommended to install anti-theft devices on your bike, not only to seek protection for it but also so that you get to buy a bike insurance premium at lower premiums.
7. Voluntary Excess - In bike insurance, there is compulsory excess and voluntary excess. With compulsory excess, you are required to pay a specific percentage of repair cost from your own pocket, in case of a claim, and the insurance company pays the rest. It is fixed and its percentage cannot be increased or decreased. Whereas in case of voluntary excess, you are allowed to make adjustments at the time of policy purchase. As this feature reduces the insurance company’s liability, hence you will be required to pay a lesser premium on choosing this benefit.
8. No Claim Bonus - If you are renewing your two-wheeler insurance policy and did not happen to make any claim in the previous year, then you will be rewarded by the insurance company in the form of a No Claim Bonus. The bonus can range between 20%-50% for up to 5 years, thereby reducing your bike insurance premium significantly.
How to claim bike insurance?
Types of two-wheeler insurance claim
Cashless bike insurance claim: In case if you are getting the bike repaired at a network garage of the insurance company, then you can choose to file a cashless claim. Under this type of claim, the repair bills are directly settled by the insurance company.
Reimbursement bike insurance claim: This type of claim can be registered in case the repair work is being done at a non network garage. At first, you will have to pay for the repair expenses which will be later reimbursed by the insurance company.
Cashless claims settlement process:
- Inform the insurance company as soon as possible
- File an FIR if required
- Surveyor will be hired by the insurance company to estimate the damages
- Fill the claim form and submit the required documents
- Once the insurer approves the amount, the vehicle will be sent at the nearest garage for repair work
- Once the repair work is done, the insurance company will settle the bill with the garage
- You will have to pay the deductible and other charges if any as per the policy terms and conditions
Reimbursement claims process
- Inform the insurance company as soon as possible
- File an FIR if required
- Surveyor will be hired by the insurance company to estimate the damages
- Fill the claim form and submit the required documents
- Pay for the repair costs and collect all the bills
- Submit the bills to the insurance company which will then settle the claim based on the policy terms and conditions.
Documents Required for Filing a Bike Insurance Claim
Following are the documents required to file a bike insurance claim:
- Driving license
- Identity proof
- Address proof
- Bike registration certificate
- Bike insurance policy
- Original keys of the bike
- FIR report
- Original repair bills and payment receipts in case of reimbursement claim
How to Compare Bike Insurance Quotes Online At InsuranceDekho?
Comparing two-wheeler insurance quotes online at InsuranceDekho is just a matter of a few seconds. And it is certain that comparing plans will help you find the most suitable bike insurance policy at the best premium. To compare the plans online, all you need to do is fill a quote at InsuranceDekho by entering the required details such as make, model, variant, fuel type, year of manufacturing, etc. You will get the most suitable bike insurance quotes on your screen, which you can compare in terms of features and benefits and shortlist the one that suits your budget and other requirements.
FAQs on Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
What is a two wheeler insurance policy?
A two wheeler insurance policy is an agreement between an insurance company and a bike owner wherein the insurance provider promises to cover any damage or loss sustained by the insured bike due to an accident, theft, fire, etc., based on the opted policy. Generally, the contract between insured and insurer is of a year which should be renewed every year.
Why should I purchase a bike insurance policy?
No matter which bike you own, you need to comply with some laws to ride it. To carry a bike insurance policy is the most important rule to drive a motorcycle / scooter as you need to adhere to the legal requirement of carrying at least a third party cover. Besides this, a bike insurance policy also covers your financial liabilities which you may incur towards a third party or own damages sustained by your bike due to an accident or any unfortunate incident.
What are the different types of bike insurance plan?
There are three types of bike insurance plans such as third party bike insurance plan, standalone own damage bike insurance plan, and comprehensive bike insurance plan.
What is the premium of different bike insurance plans?
The cost of the premium for different bike insurance plans are different. When it comes to the third party policy, its premium is set by the IRDAI which varies as per the bike’s engine capacity. But, the premium amount for own-damage and comprehensive plans varies from bike to bike due to various factors like bike’s make, model, and variant, engine capacity, fuel type, etc.
What if my bike insurance policy gets expired?
Every two-wheeler insurance policy has a date of expiry before which you should renew it to continue to avail it. However, if you fail to renew the policy on time, you still can renew it within the 90 days grace period from the expiry date. However, bike insurance renewal process is not possible after this period. As a result, you will have to buy a new policy in that case.
Bike Insurance News
Process to Register New Bike
Read on to understand the process to get a bike registered.07 April 2023
Amma Two Wheeler Insurance Scheme
Read on to know all about the Amma Two Wheeler Insurance Sch...03 April 2023
Vintage Bike Insurance in India: All You Need to K...
Learn about the meaning, importance, and how to purchase vi...31 March 2023
Traffic Rules to Follow in Bangalore
Find out about the traffic rules and fines in Bangalore.22 March 2023
All You Need To Know About Off-Road Biking
Find out the meaning and factors that you should keep in min...13 March 2023