What Is Bike Insurance?
Two wheeler insurance/Bike Insurance is an agreement between an insurance company and a bike owner, where the former promises the latter to cover the financial liabilities which may arise due to an unforeseen incident involving the insured’s bike. The bike insurance policy protects all types of two-wheelers vehicle like motorcycle, scooter, scooty & moped. There are three kinds of bike insurance plans available in the market namely third-party bike insurance, standalone own-damage (OD) bike insurance, and comprehensive bike insurance. These motorcycle or scooter insurance covers are distinguished on the basis of their coverage. No matter which policy you choose but you should go for bike insurance renewal before the expiry date as it is the only way out to keep your bike insured.
Calculate Your Bike Insurance
Different Types of Bike Insurance
Comprehensive Bike Insurance
A comprehensive bike insurance policy gives complete coverage by paying your financial liabilities that you may incur towards a third party and by providing compensation for expenses arising due to own-damages sustained by your bike. This policy shields your bike against damages it sustains due to an accident, fire, theft, man-made disasters, natural calamities, self-ignition, explosion, and so on. You can also enhance its coverage by paying an additional premium to purchase add-on covers like zero depreciation cover, roadside assistance cover, engine cover, etc.
Third Party Bike Insurance
In India, a third-party bike insurance plan is a compulsory requirement to ride a bike. It is also known as liability-only policy which covers bodily injuries, temporary or permanent disability, and death of the third party person due to an accident or a mishap with the involvement of the insured’s bike. This motorcycle or scooter insurance policy also covers the property damage expenses sustained by the third party up to Rs. 1 Lakh, but does not cover damages incurred by the insured’s bike or the insured person.
Own-Damage Bike Insurance
The standalone own-damage bike insurance policy gives coverage for the own-damages sustained by the insured bike due to an accident, theft, fire, natural disaster and man-made calamity. A standalone own-damage policy provides flexibility to policyholders for choosing an insurance company of their choice. The policyholders can buy a third-party policy and own-damage policy either from the same insurer or a different one. An insured individual can expand the coverage of a own-damage insurance policy by buying add-on covers.
How to Choose Two Wheeler Insurance Policy?
Buying a two wheeler insurance policy needs thorough research. In order to shortlist the most suitable bike insurance policy, you must evaluate your requirements and compare several bike insurance plans online. Here are other tips that you can follow to choose a bike insurance policy according to your budget and requirements:
1. Know Your Coverage Requirements - Assess your requirements and budget so that you can choose between different types of bike insurance plans that suit you the best. When assessing your requirements, you must consider different factors such as usage of your two wheeler, your expenditure, liabilities, etc.
2. Choose Add-ons Wisely - Riders or add-ons allow you to enhance the coverage of your bike insurance policy. But as you are required to pay an extra premium for it, therefore, you include the ones that you actually need. Common add-on covers in two wheeler insurance are zero depreciation cover, personal accident cover for pillion riders, and towing cover.
3. Choose a Reliable Insurance Company - Checking the claim settlement ratio is of utmost importance when choosing a trustworthy bike insurance company online. It ensures that the claim settlement is hassle-free.
4. Compare Two Wheeler Insurance Plans Online - It is important to compare different bike insurance policies online in order to make the best buying decision. You can compare different plans on the basis of inclusions, exclusions, premiums, etc.5. Read Online Reviews: Reading reviews online of verified customers who have bought bike insurance policies will help you decide if you are going for the right two wheeler insurance policy or not. Therefore, it is recommended to read positive as well as negative comments online so that you can decide what is best for you.
Key Highlights of Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
Following are the highlights of bike insurance plans:
Own Damage Cover
Offers financial protection in case of damage caused to own bike
Offers cover for any damage caused to the third party in case of their death, disability, or property destruction due to an accident
Personal Accident Cover
Amount paid in case of death or disability due to an accident
Additional benefits can be purchased by paying an extra premium, for enhanced coverage. Some add-ons include NCB protection cover, return to invoice, engine cover, etc.
No Claim Bonus (NCB)
With this benefit, you can avail a discount on next year’s premium on not making a claim. With every claim-free year, you will be able to enjoy an NCB of 20%-50%, for up to 5 consecutive years
Benefits of Buying A Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
Two wheeler insurance provides a wide array of benefits to its policyholders. The key benefits are as follows:
1. Helps You Comply With Law
A motorcycle or scooter insurance helps you comply with the law. According to the Indian Motor Tariff, every bike owner is compulsorily required to hold at least a third-party bike insurance plan. Driving without a valid third-party bike insurance plan attracts a penalty of Rs. 2,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 months.
2. Protection Against Third-Party Liabilities
A bike insurance plan covers the financial liabilities that you may incur towards a third-party like bodily injuries, disability, death and property damage. The coverage for property damage is limited up to Rs. 1 Lakh.
3. Protection Against Own-Damages
A bike insurance plan covers the own-damage expenses of your bike which may incur due to accidents, fire, theft, natural and man-made disasters, etc. Such coverage is provided under standalone own-damage plans and comprehensive bike insurance plans.
4. Coverage Against Theft
A two-wheeler insurance plan gives you coverage even if your bike/two wheeler gets stolen. In such cases, your insurer will provide you with your bike’s Insured Declared Value (IDV) which will be equal to the market price of your bike at the time of policy purchase.
5. Personal Accident Cover
You can include a personal accident cover of up to Rs. 15 Lakh in your bike insurance plan to cover bodily injuries, disability or death of the bike insurance policyholder.
Explore Two Wheeler Insurance
Top Bike Insurance Companies in India 2021
|Rank||Companies||Network Garages||Claim Settlement Ratio|
|1||Bajaj Allianz General Insurance||4,000+||88.83% in FY20|
|2||Bharti Axa General Insurance||5,200+||87.99% in FY20|
|3||Hdfc Ergo General Insurance||6,800+||91.23% in FY20|
|4||Icici Lombard General Insurance||8,800+||87.71% in FY20|
|5||Iffco Tokio General Insurance||4,300+||95.30% in FY20|
|6||Kotak General Insurance||1,300+||82.81% in FY20|
|7||National General Insurance||3,100+||85.71% in FY20|
|8||New India General Insurance||3,000+||89.60% in FY20|
|9||Reliance General Insurance||6,200+||84.26% in FY20|
|10||Sbi General Insurance||16,000+||89.51% in FY20|
|11||United India General Insurance||3,100+||82.93% in FY20|
|12||Universal Sompo General Insurance||3,500+||90.78% in FY20|
How To Buy Two Wheeler Insurance Online
With InsuranceDekho, you can buy motorcycle / scooter insurance very easily and quickly. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to get the best two wheeler insurance plan.
- Enter Your Bike Details
Fill up your two wheeler details like make, model, fuel type, etc., to find the top bike insurance policy quotes offered by different insurance companies based on your specifications.
- Compare Bike Insurance Policy Quotes
From all the available plan options, pick the bike insurance policy which meets your requirements and budgets in the best possible manner.
- Pay for the Policy Online
Pay the premium price of the chosen two wheeler insurance policy online. After paying the premium, you will instantly receive your bike insurance document in your email inbox.
Benefits of Two Wheeler Insurance Renewal Online
Following are the benefits of buying bike insurance renewal online :
Why Choose InsuranceDekho for Bike Insurance Online?
- Bike Insurance in Just 5 Minutes*
We issue your bike insurance in just 5 minutes with our simple, swift and paperless process.
- Over 5.5 Lakh Happy Customers
InsuranceDekho is a preferred choice of every insurance seeker. With our quick process, top-rated insurance plans, and committed customer care staff, we have managed to get the love and support of over 5.5 Lakh satisfied customers till now.
- 7 Days Dedicated Customer Support
We have a dedicated customer support team which is available at your service everyday. You can reach out to our support staff for any insurance related assistance be it related to policy purchase or claim settlement, we are always there to assist you.
Bike Insurance Coverage
- What is Covered?
- What is not Covered?
- Third-Party Injuries
All the types of bodily injuries suffered by a third-party due to your bike will be covered.
- Third Party Disability
If your bike causes disability to a third-party in an accident, then the coverage for the same shall be provided.
- Third Party Death
Compensation will be offered if your bike causes an accident that results in an unfortunate death of a third party.
- Third-Party Property Damage
Coverage of up to Rs. 1 Lakh is provided for damages caused to a third-party’s property due to your bike.
Coverage is offered for all types of damages incurred by your bike in accidents or collisions.
- Natural Calamities
Damages incurred by your bike due to natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, cyclones, etc are covered.
- Man-made Disasters
Damages sustained by your bike due to man-made disasters such as riots, terrorism, vandalism, etc, is covered.
- Fire or Explosion
Damages incurred by your bike in a fire and explosion shall be covered.
Loss of your bike due to theft is covered under bike insurance.
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and Drug
Claims for incidents when the insured was driving under the influence of alcohol are not admissible.
- Driving Without Valid Driver’s License
No coverage is offered if the insured was driving without a valid driver’s license.
- Wear and Tear or Depreciation
A standard bike insurance policy will not cover the cost of depreciation of your bike and its parts.
No coverage is offered for engine oil, brake oil, air conditioner refrigerant, nuts, bolts, screws, grease, and other consumables of the bike.
- Electrical or Mechanical Breakdown
If your bike suffers any mechanical or electrical breakdown, then it will not be covered.
- Damage in War or Nuclear Attack
If your bike sustains damages due to war or nuclear activity or attack, then no coverage will be provided.
- Damage to Tyre or Tubes
Damages sustained by the tyres and tubes of your bike will not be covered, except in case of accidents.
- Damage Caused Outside Geographical Boundaries
No compensation will be provided for damages sustained outside the geographical limits specified in the policy.
Two Wheeler Insurance Add-ons
- Zero Depreciation Cover
Depreciation reduces the value of a bike and its parts due to which policyholders receive a reduced claim amount. But, by opting for a zero depreciation add-on cover, you can get a higher claim amount as this add-on covers the depreciation cost of your bike and its parts made of nylon, plastic, and fibreglass. A zero depreciation add-on provides complete coverage for the replacement of old and damaged bike parts without considering depreciation.
- Return To Invoice Cover
If your two wheeler sustains a total loss, then you become entitled to receive the Insured Declared Value (IDV) of your bike as compensation. However, the amount of IDV is lower than the actual amount paid by you at the time of buying your bike as it does not include the amount paid towards road taxes and registration charges. But, with the return to invoice cover, you can get the coverage for the entire invoice amount for your bike in case of total loss.
- NCB Protection Cover
Insurance companies offer a reward in terms of discount to their policyholders for not making any claim in a policy year. The reward for every claim-free year is known as No Claim Bonus which gets accumulated with every claim-free year and ranges between 20% to 50% of your own-damage premium. This benefit can be lost if you make even a single claim. But with the NCB Cover, you can keep it intact even after making a claim.
- Engine Protection Cover
The standard bike insurance policy provides coverage for the damage incurred by your bike’s engine only during an accident but does not offer coverage for damage sustained by the engine due to water ingression or oil leakage. However, if you include engine protection cover in your policy, then, you become eligible to get coverage for the damages sustained by the engine of your bike due to water ingression and oil leakage as well.
- Roadside Assistance Cover
If you get stuck somewhere on road due to a sudden breakdown of your bike or due to reasons like a dead battery, flat tyre, key loss, fuel shortage, accident etc, or requirement of hotel accommodation then you can get the required assistance if you had opted for a roadside assistance cover. This bike insurance add-on assists you with a range of unexpected and sudden events which may result in roadside emergency situations.
- Consumables Cover
A standard two wheeler insurance policy does not provide coverage for the cost of consumables like screws, bolts, nuts, engine oil, brake oil, grease, etc. However, these small looking consumables can increase the repair bill of your bike significantly, hence, by including the consumables add-on cover in your policy, you can get coverage for such consumables at the time of repair after an accident or during bike repair.
- Tyre Protection Cover
By default, a standard two-wheeler insurance plan does not cover damage caused to your bike tyres due to tyre burst, sidewall bulging, or flattening, etc. However, by opting for a tyre protection cover, you can get required coverage for the replacement cost of a damaged tyre which also includes the labour cost incurred for removing, refitting, and balancing the wheel. This add-on helps you save a good sum of money.
Why Should You Buy A Comprehensive Bike Insurance Policy?
Following are the reasons why you should buy a comprehensive two-wheeler insurance policy:
1. Cover for Third-Party Liability - A comprehensive bike insurance policy covers you for third-party liabilities.
2. Own Damage Cover - A comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy covers you for expenses arising due to damage or loss to your bike.
3. Cashless Repairs - You can avail of cashless repairs at any network garage across India with a comprehensive bike insurance policy.
4. Add-on Covers - Comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy comes with different add-on benefits like a return to invoice cover, consumables cover, zero depreciation cover, engine and gear protection cover, breakdown assistance cover, and zero depreciation cover. You can buy these add-ons by paying an extra premium at the time of policy purchase. These add-ons are not essential to buy but are preferred to enhance coverage.
5. No Claim Bonus - A bike insurance policy provides you with No-Claim Bonus for every year a claim is not made, between 20%-50%, for a consecutive 5 years.
Find Right Bike Insurance Quotes by Body Type
- View TVS Apache RTR 160 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Star City Plus Insurance Quotes
- View Hero Splendor Plus Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Radeon Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Shine Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar 150 Insurance Quotes
- View Hero HF Deluxe Insurance Quotes
- View Honda SP 125 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Jupiter Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Jupiter 125 Insurance Quotes
- View Ola S1 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Scooty Pep Plus Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Scooty Zest Insurance Quotes
- View TVS XL100 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS NTORQ 125 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS iQube Electric Insurance Quotes
- View Yamaha YZF R15 V3 Insurance Quotes
- View TVS Apache RR 310 Insurance Quotes
- View Yamaha R15 V4 Insurance Quotes
- View Yamaha FZS-FI V3 Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar NS200 Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar 220 F Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Pulsar RS200 Insurance Quotes
- View KTM RC 200 Insurance Quotes
- View Royal Enfield Classic 350 Insurance Quotes
- View Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Insurance Quotes
- View Jawa 42 Insurance Quotes
- View Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Insurance Quotes
- View Honda Hness CB350 Insurance Quotes
- View Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 Insurance Quotes
- View Jawa Perak Insurance Quotes
- View Honda CB350RS Insurance Quotes
Customer's Speak5894 Reviews
- Nice and easyIt's a great website and they gave me great service too, which is much better than many other insurance providers. Thank...Kotak Mahindra General Insurance LimitedHonda Activa RanchiBy Amrit PrasadOn:25th November, 2021
- Network garagesI had bought a Honda CB Unicorn 160 as it needed some new bike parts. I landed on the InsuranceDekho website to search f...LibertyBy Prerna SharmaOn:24th November, 2021
- 3 steps documentation procedureIt took me overall only 3 steps and all in all 5 minutes for completing the documentation of my Future Generalli bike in...Future GeneraliBy Aditi NathOn:24th November, 2021
- Assured privacy of the consumerOne of the best things about InsuranceDekho is that it assures complete privacy for the consumers. They take into consid...KotakBy Kriya JadejaOn:24th November, 2021
- Offers exemplary add-on coversI wanted to enhance the insurance plan coverage of my Yamaha Fascino. I came to the InsuranceDekho website and found som...New IndiaBy Ritul ChandraOn:24th November, 2021
- Insurance plans within budgetThe InsuranceDekho website has become a popular choice amongst masses from all kinds of financial backgrounds. This is b...NaviBy Naman ChauhanOn:24th November, 2021
- Maintains complete uniformityThe InsuraceDekho platform maintains complete uniformity when it is related to providing details regarding the insurance...Bharti AxaBy Mahi KhanOn:24th November, 2021
- Easy accessibility to No Claim BonusAt the InsuranceDekho platform, I get daily renewal reminders. Getting the insurance plan renewed on time increases the ...RelianceBy Shradha SethOn:24th November, 2021
- Smooth comparison of insurance plansBefore making any kind of investment, I like to do proper research into the policy matters. I am thankful to InsuranceDe...Royal SundaramBy Nirupa GandhiOn:24th November, 2021
- Personalised insurance plansInsurance plan preferences differ from one individual to another. I wanted my insurance plan to have a few specific feat...Tata AigBy Manav DhimanOn:24th November, 2021
How to Calculate Bike Insurance Premium?
Calculating bike insurance premiums online is very easy with a premium calculator. It is a free tool that not only allows you to compute the premium of a two-wheeler insurance policy, as well as compare benefits. Though premium is not the sole factor on which you must choose a motorcycle or scooter insurance policy, calculating it in advance allows you to manage funds for the future.
To calculate two wheeler insurance premium online, you must navigate to the bike insurance premium calculator page, providing important details like manufacturer, sum insured, make, model, variant, date of registration, product type, add-on covers, etc., and click on ‘View Quotes’. Quotes will be generated instantly.
Following are the benefits of using a two wheeler insurance premium calculator:
How to Renew Two Wheeler Insurance Online?
For bike insurance renewal online, you must follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Visit InsuranceDekho. Then click on the Bike tab.
Step 2: Enter your bike’s Registration Number. Then click on ‘Proceed’. Choose your bike’s variant and fuel type and continue.
Step 3: Share the expiry date of your previous insurance company as well as the name of your two wheeler insurance company. Next, you will be required to tell if you have raised any claim in the previous policy term or not. Then click on ‘Continue’.
Step 4: Fill in your name and mobile number and the policy term. Then click on the ‘Submit and Get Quotes’ link.
Step 5: You will see different suitable quotes displayed on your screen. From them, you can compare and choose the right one for yourself according to your requirements. You can also include add-ons under your policy by paying an extra premium and enjoy enhanced coverage.
Step 6: Click on the ‘Buy Now. Check your details, and pay the premium online. You will receive the policy document on your registered Email ID.
Why Should You Renew An Expired Two Wheeler Insurance Policy?
While it is compulsory for a two wheeler owner to carry bike insurance policy documents with themselves all the time, a motorcycle or scooter insurance plan also provides coverage to the policyholder against financial losses against theft, loss, damages, and also provides the needed coverage towards any injuries or damages sustained by a third party vehicle or a third party property.
A two-wheeler insurance plan also includes accident cover for the owner or driver of the insured two-wheeler. It is not only compulsory to have a two-wheeler insurance plan but it offers the policyholder coverage against financial liabilities incurred by them. Therefore, it is crucial for two-wheeler owners to get their two-wheeler insurance plan renewed before its expiry date. This is because a lapsed two-wheeler insurance policy would not offer any financial coverage for the above-mentioned liabilities incurred by the insured individual.
In case, the bike owner gets caught riding their bike without an active two-wheeler insurance plan, then a fine of up to Rs. 1,000 or imprisonment of up to three months or both can be imposed by the enforcement agency as per the Indian Motor Tariff Act. Moreover, other than facing legal liabilities, a policyholder would also lose the accumulated benefits in the form of NCB or No Claim Bonus in the event of failing to get their two wheeler insurance renewal on time. It is also a time-consuming process to reinstate a lapsed two-wheeler insurance plan.
Factors That Affect Bike Insurance Price For Two Wheelers
The bike insurance premium price is decided by the insurance companies on the basis of several factors. Some of these factors are mentioned below:
1. Type of Coverage - There are different types of two-wheeler insurance policies in India, namely third-party bike insurance policy, standalone own-damage bike insurance policy, and comprehensive bike insurance policy, the premiums price of which differ from each other. As a comprehensive bike insurance policy offers greater coverage, hence its premium is higher than the other two types of policies. But lower premiums should not be the only factor to decide if you should buy a bike insurance policy or not. It is recommended to buy a comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy as it comes with greater benefits.
2. Type of Two Wheeler & Its Price - As the prices of different motorcycle or scooter are different, so are the insurance premiums for them. One of the factors that insurance companies consider when deciding the bike insurance premium is the cubic capacity of the bike. Higher the capacity of the engine, higher premiums you will be required to pay for your two wheeler insurance policy.
3. Modifications of Two Wheeler - There are a number of two wheeler enthusiasts who consider modifications to improve the looks of their bikes to enhance their performance. In case your bike is modified, then you will be required to pay a higher premium if you want to get coverage for the modifications as well.
4. Particulars of the Rider - The premium of your bike insurance policy is also based on your age, riding history, gender, etc. For example, if you are aged 35 years and have a riding experience of more than a decade, then you will be charged a lesser premium than someone who is aged 20 years. This is because the person aged 20 years will be at a higher risk for the insurance company.
5. Add-on Covers - Add-on covers offer you greater coverage and hence you are required to pay a higher premium for a two wheeler insurance policy if you include add-ons under them. It is not mandatory to buy add-on covers but are highly recommended for greater coverage. Common add ons that you can add to your bike insurance policy include zero depreciation cover, return to invoice, roadside assistance, etc.
6. Anti-Theft Devices - Anti-theft devices offer protection to your two wheeler thereby reducing the chances of any loss. As it reduces the insurance company’s liability, hence, you will be required to pay a lesser premium in case you have any ARAI approved anti-theft device installed on your motorcycle or scooter. Hence, it is recommended to install anti-theft devices on your bike, not only to seek protection for it but also so that you get to buy a bike insurance premium at lower premiums.
7. Voluntary Excess - In bike insurance, there is compulsory excess and voluntary excess. With compulsory excess, you are required to pay a specific percentage of repair cost from your own pocket, in case of a claim, and the insurance company pays the rest. It is fixed and its percentage cannot be increased or decreased. Whereas in case of voluntary excess, you are allowed to make adjustments at the time of policy purchase. As this feature reduces the insurance company’s liability, hence you will be required to pay a lesser premium on choosing this benefit.
8. No Claim Bonus - If you are renewing your two-wheeler insurance policy and did not happen to make any claim in the previous year, then you will be rewarded by the insurance company in the form of a No Claim Bonus. The bonus can range between 20%-50% for up to 5 years, thereby reducing your bike insurance premium significantly.
How To File Two Wheeler Insurance Claim Online?
A two wheeler insurance claim can be settled in 2 ways - in a cashless manner or reimbursement manner. If you take your motorcycle / scooter to a network garage of your insurance company for repair, then the claim is settled in a cashless manner. Whereas, if you take your bike to a non-network garage, then the claim is settled in a reimbursement claim. Following are the steps which you can follow to raise a bike insurance claim
- Step 1 Intimate your insurance company about the accident or mishap.
- Step 2 Get your claim intimation number from your insurance company.
- Step 3 A surveyor will be appointed and sent to the spot to examine the damages.
- Step 4 Your insurer can make arrangements for towing services for your bike if required.
- Step 5 Get your bike repaired either at a network garage or a garage of your choice.
- Step 6 Your insurer will settle the claim based on the selected garage for bike repairs.
Documents Required for Filing a Bike Insurance Claim
Following are the documents required to file a two wheeler insurance claim:
How to Compare Bike Insurance Quotes Online At InsuranceDekho?
Comparing two-wheeler insurance quotes online at InsuranceDekho is just a matter of a few seconds. And it is certain that comparing plans will help you find the most suitable bike insurance policy at the best premium. To compare the plans online, all you need to do is fill a quote at InsuranceDekho by entering the required details such as make, model, variant, fuel type, year of manufacturing, etc. You will get the most suitable bike insurance quotes on your screen, which you can compare in terms of features and benefits and shortlist the one that suits your budget and other requirements.
FAQs on Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
What is a two wheeler insurance policy?
A two wheeler insurance policy is an agreement between an insurance company and a bike owner wherein the insurance provider promises to cover any damage or loss sustained by the insured bike due to an accident, theft, fire, etc., based on the opted policy. Generally, the contract between insured and insurer is of a year which should be renewed every year.
Why should I purchase a bike insurance policy?
No matter which bike you own, you need to comply with some laws to ride it. To carry a bike insurance policy is the most important rule to drive a motorcycle / scooter as you need to adhere to the legal requirement of carrying at least a third party cover. Besides this, a bike insurance policy also covers your financial liabilities which you may incur towards a third party or own damages sustained by your bike due to an accident or any unfortunate incident.
What are the different types of bike insurance plan?
There are three types of bike insurance plans such as third party bike insurance plan, standalone own damage bike insurance plan, and comprehensive bike insurance plan.
What is the premium of different bike insurance plans?
The cost of the premium for different bike insurance plans are different. When it comes to the third party policy, its premium is set by the IRDAI which varies as per the bike’s engine capacity. But, the premium amount for own-damage and comprehensive plans varies from bike to bike due to various factors like bike’s make, model, and variant, engine capacity, fuel type, etc.
What if my bike insurance policy gets expired?
Every two-wheeler insurance policy has a date of expiry before which you should renew it to continue to avail it. However, if you fail to renew the policy on time, you still can renew it within the 90 days grace period from the expiry date, but it can not be renewed after that and you will have to buy a new policy in that case.
How to find my bike insurance policy number?
Bike insurance policy number is a unique number which is of 8 to 10 digits provided by the insurance company. It is generally printed on the insurance card that is issued by the insurance providers. You can also find it by entering your registered mobile number on the website of your insurer.
Which is the best bike insurance company in India?
There are numerous parameters to select an insurance company to insure your bike. The Claim Settlement Ratio (CSR) is one of the most important parameters to gauge the efficiency of an insurance provider. The CSR is a ratio of claims settled by a bike insurance company out of the total claims received by the insurer during the financial year. In the financial year 2019-20, the companies with the highest claim settlement ratio are IFFCO Tokio General Insurance (95.30%), Royal Sundaram General Insurance (92.66%), and Oriental Insurance Company (91.76%) with which the IFFCO Tokio can be considered the best company in India for the year 2021.
Is it compulsory to own a bike insurance in India?
Yes, according to the Indian Motor Tariff, every bike owner is required to carry at least a third party bike insurance plan.
Can a bike owner purchase two bike insurance for the same bike?
No, a bike owner can not buy two insurance plans for the same bike. However, you can buy a third-party policy and own-damage plan separately from different insurance companies.
Can bike insurance be transferred to a new owner of the bike?
Yes, a bike insurance policy can be transferred from the old bike owner to the new bike owner, if it is sold out. The policy transfer must be completed within 14 days from the purchase date of the bike.
What are the factors that determine the premium of a bike insurance policy?
The third party policy premium amount of your bike is fixed by the IRDAI, while the standalone own-damage and comprehensive policy premium rates varies from insurer to insurer based on several factors which are as follow:
- Type of Coverage – Different policies cost different premium amounts such as third party policy, own-damage policy, and comprehensive policy.
- Bike Make, Model and Variant – The brand, model, and variant of the bike affects the premium as per their cost. The high-end bikes have higher premiums when compared to standard bikes.
- Bike Modifications – Modifications in a bike may improve its looks and performance, but to cover those modifications and accessories your insurance premium will also increase.
- Add-on Covers – Insurers offer different add-on covers for bike insurance plan. To add them in your policy, you will have to pay an additional premium that increases the policy premium.
- Anti-Theft Devices - Anti-theft devices lessen the probability of bike theft which reduces the risk for the insurers too due to which they reward the insured with a lower premium.
How to raise a bike insurance claim online?
You can raise a bike insurance claim online with the below-given steps:
Step 1: Raise a claim at your insurer’s website or mobile app
Step 2: You will get a claim registration number from your insurer.
Step 3: Insurer will send a surveyor to examine the damage extent.
Step 4: Take your damaged bike to a garage to get repaired of your choice.
Step 5: The claim will be settled by your insurer on the basis of the chosen garage.
Can we insure bikes after 15 years?
The insurance of old bikes after 15 years of their age is possible. They can be insured with the third-party bike insurance plan as it is a compulsory cover. However, when it comes to own-damage cover, it varies from insurer to insurer.
Bike Insurance News
- Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Two-Wheeler Insur...
Read this article to find basic mistakes that you should av...27 November 2021
- Things to Keep in Mind When Buying a Used Bike fro...
Getting a used bike can help you save. However, there are a ...26 November 2021
- Why Should You Purchase Bike Insurance From Kotak ...
Read this article to know about several advantages of applyi...26 November 2021
- Everything You Should Know About Bharti AXA Bike I...
Read this post to learn everything you need to know about Bh...25 November 2021
- What Are The Benefits of Buying SBI Long Term Two-...
Buying a two-wheeler is a fantastic idea, your work does not...25 November 2021
- Easy Steps To File Bike Insurance Claim At Bharti ...
Read this article to take a note of the things that you shou...01 October 2021
- Future Generali Bike Insurance Policy Renewal Onli...
Read this article to take a note of the things that you shou...05 October 2021
- Benefits Of Purchasing a Bike Insurance Plan From ...
There are many benefits of purchasing insurance for your two...01 October 2021
- Key Benefits For Applying For Bike Insurance At Ko...
Read this article to take note of the key benefits of Applyi...05 October 2021
- Bike Insurance Renewal And Claim Process At Relian...
Purchasing insurance for your two-wheeler is not that diffic...30 September 2021
*Standard T&C Apply. All savings/offers are provided by the Insurers, which are subject to modification .For more details on risk factors, terms and conditions, please read the sales brochure of respective insurers carefully before concluding a sale. Tax benefits are subject to changes in applicable tax laws. Girnar Insurance Brokers Private Limited, (CIN: U66010RJ2016PTC054811, Regd .Off: Girnar 21, Govind Marg, Moti Doongari Road, Dharam Singh Circle, Jaipur, Rajasthan- 302004; Corp. Off: 11th Floor, Tower B, Emaar Digital Greens, Golf Course Extension Road, Sector-61, Gurugram-122102, Haryana. IRDAI License no 588. Direct Broker (Life & General) valid till 19th March 2023. Email - firstname.lastname@example.org ; Helpline number: 7551196989.
You authorise Girnar Insurance Brokers Pvt Ltd (insurancedekho) to contact you through call, SMS, email, WhatsApp or any other mode in future. You hereby override your NDNC registration.